New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008 | 03:56 PM

Default Help Me Please

here is my situation..i have a 2002 z06 with ls6 motor...i tried nitrous for the first time the other night it is a dry kit...my car started to knock after the 5th hard run..i took it home and after i pulled the valve covers off and what not and searched around i found one spark plug that has had the end of it bent it...i did a compression test for that side of the motor and on the bad cylinder comp. was 149psi the next cyl was 168psi next was 175psi next was 180psi.....what kinda problems am i looking at...is there only one reason the piston would smack the end of my plug?? are my worst nightmares true? or is there a chance that i might me able to change plugs and everything will be alright?...HELP
Old 09-13-2008 | 05:57 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Spun a Rod Bearing.. are you sure that the Piston smacked the Plug?
Old 09-13-2008 | 08:19 PM
On The Tree

i doubt it hit the plug...maybe it was bent when it was installed...compression readings are usually a little different from cylinder to cylinder, but not more than maybe 5 psi...if you think you hit something maybe you hit a valve, im not sure if the Zo6's are interference motors or not...but i suspect detonation from heat...good luck!
Old 09-13-2008 | 08:46 PM

i am not sure the piston hit the plug but i am sure for some reason the plug end is bent... but still far enough from the electrode that it should still spark...i put another plug into that hole and cranked it over and it did not bend this other plug over...also on the drive back home there was still good power and good oil pressure ..no smoke...but it would knock under power and go quiet when i coasted....
Old 09-13-2008 | 08:56 PM
Village Idiot

Nitrous dry systems can give some motor problems with larger shots as the spray sometimes is not always evenly distrubuted to each fuel injector and cylinder which inturn can sometimes cause problems... Wetsystems are better for the larger shots... How big is your dryshot? Where is your NO nossel connected to your intake?...Also, it's always a good idea to run the motor a bit rich in fuel mix for safety reasons?

Cooler running spark plugs are a good idea to with nitrous too I might add... I also run a 100 dryshot on my motor going on six years, I run it a tiny bit rich and I've always ran the cool temp autolite spark plugs (ideal for NOS)... I am not spraying on an LS6 though... Good luck with your fix..
Old 09-13-2008 | 11:48 PM

thanks for all the input...it is a 50 hp shot of nitrous thats why i am in disbelief that something could be wrong with my motor..i have ran this kit on a 02 gt mustang and a 99 camaro ss...the nozzle is in my intake just after my filter and before my mass air flow sensor...
Old 09-17-2008 | 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know how hard you have been on this car in the previous months before the blast of N2O which doesn't even seem like enough to do much damage since it was sprayed in front of the Mass Air..Does kinda sound like you might have spun a rod bearing happens alot twisting these engines into the higher RPM's with stock rod bolts..Compression can be a variance of no more then like 20 psi before you have real problems in that area..your readings seem relatively normal I would think..Did you take them with the engine cold or warm it up and then take some readings?? Think it was more just the engines time to let loose if you were shooting the juice to stock plugs it could have easily have melted that electrode on the sparkplug