Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Camaro or Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Hell you guys are telling him not to get a convertible cause they don't look as good? Who gives a **** what you like or don't like, he likes the convertible and that's his business, who are you to tell him not to get one because YOU don't like it?
everyone has already said everything you just said. its based on looks. i didnt say that he was a moron for liking convertible i was just saying for example i dont like vert. read a little.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
everyone has already said everything you just said. its based on looks. i didnt say that he was a moron for liking convertible i was just saying for example i dont like vert. read a little.
Read two posts above my post, I never said your name, and there was someone right above me who straight up said not to get ne they are ugle. Read a little before getting offended
Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I live in Los Angeles, California so you can't beat a convertable come summer time... With winter coming up the Converts seem to be very affortibe compared to the dead of summer also...

Thanks for the replies gents, maybe the Camaro I test drove needed a tune up or something...So the spec's are the basically the same...Hmmmm? I thought maybe the T/A was tuned a bit different or something... I am going to check out a few more and make a decision...

Question - How many miles is too many on these cars?... I know some GM cars are basically throw aways after 100,000 miles or so... Lot's of rattles, oil leaks, incabin air leaks, steering wheel play, suspension float, etc.. What's the story on these rides with around 75,000 miles or so, what maintenance to look for?

Thanks...
Since no one has seemed to answer this for you... These cars do pretty good into the higher miles, but its really a crapshoot. Some blowup at 60k... some are fine up into 160k... but I'd say the majority last fine into the 100k's. I bought mine with 81k and pretty much just threw on a new fuel filter and was good to go... no tuneup or anything (although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt), and as far as people saying tehy see tons of camaros, I do see alot, but thats also because I pay attention to them, and they are almost always base models, rarely z28/ss
Old 09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Default anonymous !!!!!!!!!!!!!

camaro has a incest look sort of catty fishy , no style chemicaly imbalanced, now the trans am has looks,style,aggressive-ness, looks fast just sitting there, lol my .02 $$
Old 09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

If you like getting mistaken for a chrysler sebring from the front, get a camaro. If you want a SLIGHTLY more upscale car, go T/A

It's all personal preference. They're both great cars. Just be aware they both have weak auto trannies and rear axles. They're barely adequate for a stock vehicle.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

man you guys are rediculous. Camaro and TA both look badass... THE END
Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by import_raper
No, the Firebirds are there you just don't notice them cause they just kinda blend in.. LOL

Just the opposite, IMO. A stock non-SS Camaro is just about one of the most boring looking cars on the road.

Even a base V6 'Bird has style! Gotta love those curves.

As far as picking one or the other, if you like the Camaro better, well there you go. Personally I like the T/A better, but I'm a bit biased as I've owned 4 'Birds. I jusr really like the curves of the Pontiac, I think they're very sexy and agressive at the same time, and don't look like a Sebring when you see one in the rearview, lol.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I live in Los Angeles, California so you can't beat a convertable come summer time... With winter coming up the Converts seem to be very affortibe compared to the dead of summer also...

Thanks for the replies gents, maybe the Camaro I test drove needed a tune up or something...So the spec's are the basically the same...Hmmmm? I thought maybe the T/A was tuned a bit different or something... I am going to check out a few more and make a decision...

Question - How many miles is too many on these cars?... I know some GM cars are basically throw aways after 100,000 miles or so... Lot's of rattles, oil leaks, incabin air leaks, steering wheel play, suspension float, etc.. What's the story on these rides with around 75,000 miles or so, what maintenance to look for?

Thanks...
93K on mine right now and all i do is change the oil..woot.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

TA. They traditionally hold their value better than Camaros (unless they have "race" history or some historic significance). Either way, 98+ verts are some of the lower production runs in 4th gen F-body history and are likely to become collectible. Get what you like. I like birds more just because of the interior and exterior styling cues.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TRANS AM!!!!!----------nuff said!!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

my .02... go camaro vert. After 3 camaros (2 ttop, 1 hard) i picked up a vert... and lemme tell u, its a completely different feeling. Vert with open cutouts and some good thumpin music = THE SHIAAAAT.

Go firebird if you're not going to be messing with exterior much.. otherwise.. go camaro. IMO, you can decorate a camaro from the outside more than you can a firebird.. they all look alike!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Camaro has a much more refined look more streamline. T/A's although nice, they look too busy, especially the front of the Ws6 with the hood scoops on top of hood scoops, air ducts all over the place and a spoiler that borders on being a whale tail. Also pop up head lights are out, just look at every high end perf car that ever had them. The camaro headlights help keep the styling more modern.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Village Idiot

Man you guys are serious about your Camaro's and Trans AM's.. I guess I am on the right forum for my inquiries!!!

So the auto trannies and rearends are weak, that is news to me...So they can't take much more power over stock..THAT ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! I was thinking I might boost the car, so what does everyone do to the tranny and rearend to hold lets say an additional 150whp?????? Is there build up kits, or do you have to swap crap out?

Thanks for the reply to high mile question guys..You know who you are... So 50,000-60,000 miles is what I will be shooting for...

Last question what is the difference between the SS Camaro's and the standard Z28 Camaro's? Is there any performance difference? I kinda like the SS's and the racing stripe, also they are a bit more rare to see....

Any thoughts on the Monte Carlo SS's? I found a real cheap black one and am wondering if that is basically the same as the Camaro's and T/A's?...

Sorry for all the questions fellas but I am really just learning about these cars...I should probably google all this info...Guys, I am really bumbed out about the weak rearend and trannies on the Camaro's and T/A's... Almost makes me not want to get either.. How do you guys deal with that? Why didn't Gm know we all wanted to modify these Camaro's and T/A's so why didn't they use the transaxle trannies like what you find in the Vette's? That would have made more sense for all of us....

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-19-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The F-body's do have weak rear ends, BUT there are a few people with A LOT of rwhp with stock rear ends. There's a guy on this forum with twin turbos on his SS with 900+rwhp on the stock rear end. Do you plan on getting an automatic or a manual? These motors (pretty much every motor) will last long if you do the regular maintenance. SS's and Z/28's are the same and not all SS's have the 35th anniversary stripes. Monte Carlo SS's are not the same as Camaro's or Trans Am's. They're slower for sure! If I were you I would get a Camaro Z/28 because anything can be an SS, but a Z/28 can only be 1 thing.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Village Idiot

Monte Carlo's are slower...OK... I was thinking of getting an automatic in this Los Angeles, California traffic... Are the Manuals more stout? If there is a big difference then I will bite the bullet and get a manual...

Thanks for the reply...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Man you guys are serious about your Camaro's and Trans AM's.. I guess I am on the right forum for my inquiries!!!

So the auto trannies and rearends are weak, that is news to me...So they can't take much more power over stock..THAT ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! I was thinking I might boost the car, so what does everyone do to the tranny and rearend to hold lets say an additional 150whp?????? Is there build up kits, or do you have to swap crap out?

Thanks for the reply to high mile question guys..You know who you are... So 50,000-60,000 miles is what I will be shooting for...

Last question what is the difference between the SS Camaro's and the standard Z28 Camaro's? Is there any performance difference? I kinda like the SS's and the racing stripe, also they are a bit more rare to see....

Any thoughts on the Monte Carlo SS's? I found a real cheap black one and am wondering if that is basically the same as the Camaro's and T/A's?...
The rear ends go South a lot if you drag race with sticky tires at the strip. If you keep it to the street with street tires, you'll probably be ok, even with the additional HP. You'll just spin a lot. You can beef up the tranny to handle the extra power (the 6 speed manual is basically the same as the one in the Viper - some differences, and there are mods for the auto), but if you want slicks, a lot of strip use, and an additional 150 HP, you'll need a different rear end.
As to the difference between SS and Z-28, it's primarily an appearance mod. For a 2002, the SS got a bigger anti-sway bar, 17" wheels, the hood scoop and a bigger spoiler. Not much in the way of performance difference.
The model with the stripes in the picture is a 2002 SS 35th Anniversary Special Edition. Here in Vegas, there is a low mileage (32k) babied one in the paper for $18k, which seems about right.
Monte Carlo SS is a front wheel drive. A Silverado pickup has more in common with a late model F-body that that car. As far as I'm concerned, GM auto front wheel drive cars definitly meet the 100k mile throw away spec.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Don't go with the vert. They look ugly with the tops up. T-tops is the way to go! The t/a owns the camaro by how it looks stock. Hard to pick which one looks better when they have appearance mods done.
I agree with this guy.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry for all the questions fellas but I am really just learning about these cars...I should probably google all this info...Guys, I am really bumbed out about the weak rearend and trannies on the Camaro's and T/A's... Almost makes me not want to get either.. How do you guys deal with that? Why didn't Gm know we all wanted to modify these Camaro's and T/A's so why didn't they use the transaxle trannies like what you find in the Vette's? That would have made more sense for all of us....
GM did know we were gonna mod them, but they also made the car cheap. If you wanna mod, you gotta pay. The trans and rear end is not as weak as some make it out to be. Automatics tend not to break the rear as easy. The rear in vette's aren't much better, so forget about that.

You want to add 150+hp then you're gonna need a built trans and rearend, bottom line. No reason to get bummed, part of the modding game, you can't just slap on horsepower and hope it holds together.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Village Idiot

WOW...Arrestmeredz an awesome reply... Thanks for the input.. I am out on the Monte Carlo knowing it is front wheel drive...YUCK!!!!!

Yeah, well the car I have now sports 330whp so anything less would be a disappointing..So mods will be most definetely be on the way after the purchase knowing me..... I like to grip so MT tires would be my choice combined with an LSD.....Rearend change would definetely be in order just for the LSD upgrade.. The weak rearend I can live with...So the Manual tranny's are can handle more hp's then the automatic's... That makes sense to me so a manual I will shoot for....

The SS and Z28 Camaro's arent different in the performance department.. So why even call it Super Sport?... It's defenitely more sporty looking for sure but with out the Super....... Go figure?

Chaves - not true...The ZO6's can handle alot of HP's over stock, my old SC400 came 186whp in stock form and now sports 330whp and 400 torque on the same stock auto tranny.. That's using nitro too...The Lexus rearend can handle way more Hp's too.. A little bumbed with the weak GM tranny issue, but not a door closer... I'm too in love with the LS Engines.. That's being truthful without any disrespect..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-19-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

i bought a 99 TA non ws6 since ther arent that many differences between the two. its like a z28 compared to an SS. to me just wasn't worth money for an m6 car too. and it has ben said and is tried n true. the camaro looks like it can kick your *** but the ws6 looks like its gonna come over and do it. depends on your taste dont limit your self to a year but instead look her in the forums. there is (or was) a 2002 ws6 ta thats turbo with a ton of other goodies for sale in the northwest forum for $14k. so keep ur yesy peeled and be patient.there is also a roller camaro for 1900 on there too. u never know when a deal will come around happy hunting bro and good luck