On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

TA

gotta have 5 letters to post so now I'm just typing randomly
Old 09-19-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chavez885
GM did know we were gonna mod them, but they also made the car cheap. If you wanna mod, you gotta pay. The trans and rear end is not as weak as some make it out to be. Automatics tend not to break the rear as easy. The rear in vette's aren't much better, so forget about that.

You want to add 150+hp then you're gonna need a built trans and rearend, bottom line. No reason to get bummed, part of the modding game, you can't just slap on horsepower and hope it holds together.
Your car is my cars father

OP, everything you wanted to know has been covered so I'll just go ahead and say that when your modding adventure begins, the search function will tell you everything you need to know This is definitely the place to be for anything LSx.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No disrespect man, but coming from the import scene makes you have a different outlook on American muscle cars... I know because I was in the same boat as you. Dont believe all the stereotypes you hear, because most of them are simply not true. Dont stray away from high mileage cars. Im not gonna go as far as to say that mileage shouldnt be an issue, but I would be more concerned with how well the car was maintained. A poorly maintained car could be done at 100k, while most ls1s ive seen live far past that. If you find a deal on a higher mileage car, you could end up saving a lot of money. The real problem with buying these cars used is that some tend to have been beat to **** by the previous owner. Just go through the car before you buy it, make sure everything looks good and you should be fine. As for the issues of weak trannys and rear ends, there is some truth to that, but not as bad as you are making it out to be. If you plan on doing hard launches with slicks, or if youre pushing alot more power than stock, youll probably break the stock 10 bolt (which is posi/lsd btw). The t56 6 speed is a pretty stout tranny, and the auto 4l60e can go bad on you. Mine did at 96k but the previous owner really drove the **** out of it. Pretty much, dont worry about the rear or motor if its in good condition. If you buy an a4 car, put some cash aside for when you may want a rebuild. Good luck
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WS6 Vert >
Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Last question what is the difference between the SS Camaro's and the standard Z28 Camaro's? Is there any performance difference? I kinda like the SS's and the racing stripe, also they are a bit more rare to see....
http://www.stangbangers.com/01Bullitt_Article2c.jpg

Mandatory reading...haha...

There isn't any real difference... SLP did have a '345hp' package that comes with a lid and catback I believe. I've never seen one at the track running much better than any other version but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be a couple ticks faster having the lid/catback on them.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

always was a Camaro fan. Nothing against the TA's.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all based on which cars appearence you like more. If you like the Camaro more get the Camaro then add Firebird Seats or Aftermarket Seats. Both should be pretty much equal in everything other than Interior & Exterior.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Village Idiot

I didn't know the Camaros and T/A's come stock with the limited slip differentials.. That's good news... So what is weaker the rearend or the transmission? It sounding like the Tranny is just a bit more stronger..Is that correct?

Thanks for all the insight and replies...

Hey, the idea was to buy this car while I am doing this crazy LS2 swap in my Lexus.. It would be nice to have a fast car for around 10 grand.. It looks like the Camaro is going to be the choice based on the pricing over everything.. 10 grand is my budget...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

idk my tranny went first, but my rear makes a lot of noise...
as for car choice i would look for a ws6, i love camaro's, but theres just something about the ws6's they just look really f*ckin mean!! i know my next car will be a ws6, but i am still gonna keep the z, becuase i love it also!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Awesome article!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its hard to say which will go first, theres alot of variables involved. My tranny went at 95000 but the previous owner drove the hell out of it and im sure its taken a beating. I had a high performance rebuild done for around 2k and it runs great, but now my rear end is starting to whine. If your doing hard launches on drag radials or slicks the rear end wont last long, but shock to the rear end tends to be worse launching from an M6 car. I know the camaros are more common and can probably be had for less money, but I never get tired of the look of the TA. I dont theres been a car thats meaner looking than a TA, especially a WS6. Btw are you that guy from the lextreme forums? I nearly bought a sc400 before I got my ls1. That 1UZFE is one hell of a motor.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i really like the t/a's just a tad more because to me they look flashier... if i was out for power, i wouldnt care what car i would pick from these 2.... same engine, same tranny, similar weight= similar performance