New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Default Traction control??

It's the only option my car doesn't have.
Does it make much difference on wet roads, and is it something I can add easily? If so how much$$$??

Thanks.....
Old 09-30-2008 | 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why would you want to add it??? Most people who have it always drive with it turned off, they even make a switch now that leaves it off unless you would for some reason wish for it to be active...Just keep your foot out of it if the roads are wet..
Old 09-30-2008 | 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

I turn mine off every time I start my car, I just hate the feeling of the ASR when it kicks in.
Old 09-30-2008 | 01:14 PM
Teching In

it makes a big dierence, these cars spin the tires very easy in the rain and you will be doing 360s around a turn if u are not taking it easy. i dont know anything about installing it but if it is not to hard and doesnt cost too much i might think about it. if u decide against it just dont drive like an a$$hole in wet conditions.
Old 09-30-2008 | 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i enjoy driving in the rain, and turn it off everytime i put my e-brake down! If you take it easy its safe with out it. But i deffinitly have fun sometimes in the rain.
Old 09-30-2008 | 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
Why would you want to add it??? Most people who have it always drive with it turned off, they even make a switch now that leaves it off unless you would for some reason wish for it to be active...Just keep your foot out of it if the roads are wet..
whats this switch? I need one...

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I turn mine off every time I start my car, I just hate the feeling of the ASR when it kicks in.
Thats exactly how I feel

To OP: I wouldnt add it... if your having trouble in the rain get some new tires and take the foot off the gas... thats all the T/C will do anyway.
Old 09-30-2008 | 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

TC is a joke in these cars. All it does is FORCE you to lift off the gas. Complete pain in the *** 99% of the time.
Old 09-30-2008 | 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, and the switch is not worth the $70-100 that it's sold for to have something push a button for you.....honestly. But traction control is definately the biggest joke i've ever seen. Mine goes off every time the e-brake is released also. A 500hp car should have no more problems in the rain just as a 200hp car would, they both go the same speed and they stay on the road if you stay out of the throttle, the traction control would just not let you get into the throttle. Don't waste your time buying and installing it only to find out that you are NEVER going to use it.
Old 09-30-2008 | 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

TCS can keep an inexperienced driver from spinning out when the road is wet or frosty. That is it's only function. I installed the SLP reverse switch which keeps it off all the time unless you hit the button. I can't remember when I last turned it ON.

It doesn't help ME in ice, snow, rain. But if I were letting some other member of my family drive my car (the though is disturbing, but sometimes I need the wife's truck for hunting) then I turn it on and tell them "do NOT turn it off".

No respectable driver would ever intentionally ADD it to the car. Unless you need a 'driving nanny'.
Old 09-30-2008 | 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=udienow;10203663]whats this switch? I need one...

Slp makes the switch I was talking about...Its on their website and I think you can even find a variation of it on e-bay to...fits right in where the factory switch is at and instead of being on all the time it is off until you would want to engage it for what unknown reason..I am glad my car never had it just one less thing to take off and throw away..
Old 09-30-2008 | 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some cars actually have it and just dont have a switch. When you go WOT from low RPM (spinning range) can you feel ASR push against the pedal? If so you actually have it. There is a sensor on your rearend for your ABS. Just unplug it when you don't want ASR on.
Old 10-01-2008 | 03:02 AM
((((((Administrator))))))
20 Year Member

All ASR / TCS cars have the switch for them. If they don't then somebody removed it.

The reverse switch from SLP was on the shelf for sale by SLP almost since the LS1 has been out.

First off, no its not easy to add so don't bother. Your car is 3 channel ABS where as the traction control cars are 4 channel. You have one ABS exciter gear mounted behind your ring gear on your rear end. The traction control cars have 2 ABS exciter ring gears for the rear end, one on the end of each axle. ASR / TCS cars have the motor mounted behind the battery with different throttle cables. I know there's more parts to list but I'm too tired to list the differences. Try a search, this topic is asked about once a week.

Overall its a nice option to have. Like having a CHL to carry a gun....I'd rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

~ Craig
Old 10-01-2008 | 03:51 AM
TECH Regular

I always turn mine off it doesnt really help. It just kicks the throttle back at you it really isnt a "smart" system. It almost does more harm then good if it kicks the throttle back all of a sudden. Huge waste of money in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2008 | 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

I had a 96 Z with it and I thought it did a good job when I drove the car in the snow or even the rain. My 00 WS6 has it and I turn it off as soon as I start the car. I don't drive my WS6 in the rain or the snow, so I have not used it in a while. However, my son is learning to drive and it has helped him a few times.
Old 10-01-2008 | 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you everyone for the definate "No, dont bother" replys!

I have never spun out unintentionally in the rain, but it does feel like I could easily overstep the mark. I guess I'll get better tires to add in traction.

Thanks again,

Paul.