New Orleans Put the greasy talk here...PiMp

For all of my fellow New Orleans racers that use torches on nitrous bottles(read link

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default For all of my fellow New Orleans racers that use torches on nitrous bottles(read link

I see this practice happen all the time of using a torch to heat up bottles to get the pressure up. Everytime you do this, it weakens the bottle a little bit. Eventually the bottle will not be able to hold the pressure and explode.

I am not going to be one sided about this either. Bottle heaters that are left on are no better. Use these with a pressure switch and that is the SAFEST way to heat a bottle.

These bottles need to be certified every so many years to make sure they check out and have no cracks in them or metal fatigue from a torch being on them. When a torch is on it it weakens the metal ever so slightly. If it is done enough times you will end up weakening enough to explode. I know there are a few of you that are about to tell me that "I have been using a torch for years and I haven't had a bottle explode on me". Well, all I can tell you is read this link, this guy got the bottle from an unknown source and didn't know its prevoius history.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...in-2010-a.html

I urge everyone here to put the torch down and get a bottle heater. (Dinky)

This is a small piece of safety that is minimal in price. People buy high dollar heads and build motors for cars but don't spend the extra money on safety such as a bottle heater and pressure switch.

We all saw what happened to Soul and a couple of safety measures and he might be alive today to race again with us. Lets all stay safe and take heed from this and take the safe route. Peace to all my fellow racers.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Googooly Moogooly! I had a blow off valve go and the bottle launched and nailed the side of my leg. Bottles are definitely dangerous. Just reminds me to check dates before I fill bottles. And not to let the customers stand near me when I'm filling either.