Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NXL AFR woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
The issue is not with the fuel system...its the location of the nitrous discharge...by placing it under the injector, the nitrous discharge is pulling more fuel from the injector.
Well we didn't put it there; that's where it is, and the car needs both the injectors and pumps that it currently has so....

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Ray just pointed out to me you have the actual NX intake with the discharges made in. This entire time I did not look at the pic well enough to notice that. I was thinking you had the under the injector nozzles.

I guess you can not trade that in as easy.lol
Dave
We will do the consumption test, though I can say, after tuning on many a small-shot car, I am relatively certain that the nitrous side is unimpeded. The car shifts at 6800 off the spray and when he hit it at about 5500, it pushed through the gear change and into the limiter going into second gear. The 4l60 is gonna come out of the car, we are just waiting for it to go on it's own. It's stock and has many many 10 and 11 second passes on it. I guess it's 'good' one.

What I want to know is, after the consumption test, assuming everything looks good (which I honestly believe it will), what happens next? Are we stuck with some non-functional product? I tried digging here the week he bought it before hand, but it was a week where the search would not return anything.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the under injector style NXL system. I have tuned the car with 120 and 180 shot if nitrous, 180 being 26N and 14F. I am also running an accumulator with only a single Walbro 255lph pump, pushing my Vette to over 600 rwhp. On both shots, the AFR was 12.7-12.8 NA and on nitrous it went to 11.6-11.8 AFR. I guess I am just lucky?? No problems here and am happy with how it performs. The only thing I have different on my kit is that instead of the black lines running from the rails to the nozzles, I have -3 stainless steel braided lines. Like I said no problems at all.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Do you have the intake pictured in my first post or just the nozzles?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

No I had the under the injector nozzles on my FAST 90.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

The more I hear, the more I am worried that this is a failed product that we are going to be stuck with.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
The more I hear, the more I am worried that this is a failed product that we are going to be stuck with.

Try calling Jeff Prock @ Applied Nitrous Tech. 423-921-9540 shop

He mentioned those nossles to me at one point and he knows ALOT about nitrous and high fuel pressure.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

thanks for the contact! I'll give him a ring this afternoon.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
Well we didn't put it there; that's where it is, and the car needs both the injectors and pumps that it currently has so....

We will do the consumption test, though I can say, after tuning on many a small-shot car, I am relatively certain that the nitrous side is unimpeded. The car shifts at 6800 off the spray and when he hit it at about 5500, it pushed through the gear change and into the limiter going into second gear. The 4l60 is gonna come out of the car, we are just waiting for it to go on it's own. It's stock and has many many 10 and 11 second passes on it. I guess it's 'good' one.

What I want to know is, after the consumption test, assuming everything looks good (which I honestly believe it will), what happens next? Are we stuck with some non-functional product? I tried digging here the week he bought it before hand, but it was a week where the search would not return anything.
The flow consuption will elliminate the question of there being a flow restriction. As long as the cars pcm is not dumping fuel there is only three other possibilites.

1. Flow restriction on the nitrous side.
2. Wiring issue causting the nitrous solenoids not to fuction properly.
3. Nitrous discharge pulling vacumme on injector.

If the first two check out I would suggest I would contact NX and see if you can do an exchange with them. Talk to Craig or Abney.

Dave
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

what would we be exchanging for though? The NXL intake setup was bought from Mrr23 on here used; it's new to my customer, but not NEW.

Thanks for all of the insight and info guys; I'll update once I know more.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Ohh I see. You will not be able to trade NX out then. The intake worked well on Mrr23s car. What size injectors did he have and how much was he spraying?
Dave
Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

AFAIK he used 42lb injectors... He was spraying 250. His fuel setup was a single walbro running the motor and the gas. Maybe it was OK with the accumulator but I didn't feel comfortable with that on this car. We tried out the 80-hit when the car only had 1 pump but was still running the front mount regulator. Fuel pressure fell into the high 30s low 40s and the AFR went lean the only time that we tested it. In went the second pump, and now we can't get rid of the fuel. The 80 hit came in and felt like about a 100 hit to be honest but we let right out of it. That experience combined with the car pushing through the first gear limiter when we tried it on the 120-hit (2 pumps and rich) really tells me that the nitrous side is working fine, but the consumption test is on the board for the weekend never the less.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

N20 consumption was good, as expected.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
FormerVendor

Not good....

I have one other suggestion to check that may sound off the wall..

Check the logs and see if the computer is telling the car to dump the fuel when the nitrous hits. As weird as thios sounds we have seen the computer do this from picking up the coldness of the nitrous.. Just a wild chance..

Odds are its the intake design...
Dave
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 AM
FormerVendor

Car is running OLSD right now and the injector times are the same on and off. This doesn't account for an effective pressure drop at the discharge point of the injector, but it shows it's nothing in the PCM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

yep this was my old setup i sold to his customer. the pic he used is the one i took. i used 42# injectors, racetronix hot wire kit, the NX accumulator and single walbro intank. with my original 408 setup i made 663 rwhp on the 250 jets (225 rwhp). here's that dyno sheet. you'll see i never went below 12:1 ratio. i remember talking with ricky at NX when i bought it. to change the fuel routing there was some certain way of hooking things up. maybe see if you can find him.

tires spun on the dyno, hence the weird line at the beginning.

motorr run for comparison

Last edited by mrr23; 12-05-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

more pics of how this intake works

Quick Reply: NXL AFR woes