Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous shot question

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nitrous shot question

I have a 434 carbureted sbc that i just finished installing my nitrous kit on and was wondering whats a safe but good shot i would be able to spray. I have a eagle 4340 4.0 crankshaft, eagle h beam rods, je pistons. And on head gaskets i have copper head gaskets and the block is o ringed. Its a motown block as well. The nitrous kit is a pro race fogger kit. And i do have a very well fuel system as well. Any help i would appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Teching In

i have a friend running a 434 sbc with a 300 shot plate and he has no problem's.just make sure you have a sep fuel cell for it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Ive just got the main fuel cell in the back with a 5/8 hose with an aeromotive a 2000 fuel pump that delivers 350 gph. What do u think that fuel system would hold up 2 with the one main line?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Teching In

I have a 434 motown block with wysco pistons and I run 15-1 compression. there are a couple more things you need to tell us.

What is the compression?
If you have dome pistons, are they hollow dome? Mine are.

I run the same fuel pump as you, I run a big shot plate with square jet @ 6 lbs of fuel pressure but I only spray up to 175 hp because of high cylinder pressure on the hollow dome pistons.
The most helpful guy I know is Steve Johnson @ Induction Solutions
look over on Yellow bullet.com in the nitrous forum he sponses it.
Nice guy to talk to.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Teching In

My compression is 12.4 with 67cc heads. And yea i do have a small dome and i believe they r just the regular dome pistons je offers
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 AM
FormerVendor

Take a look into your rings. That will play a big role. Most 'off the shelf' pistons don't carry as high of a nitrous rating as most people assume. I would give the engine builder or piston mfg a call and see what they recommend.

Nick
Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Mine are solid dome pistons.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would run around a 250 shot on that motor. Should be pretty safe.

Make sure you have enough FUEL!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Teching In

In my opinion you would feel much more easy if you armed your self with a little more knowledge. It helped me when I first started and I still read every thing I can to learn more.
Here are some tips.
If you know how to read plugs then research reading nitrous plugs.
You need to be able to see the fuel ring down in the plug and see where the heat is on the strap. If you don't have a scope to read with get one. Otoscopes are popular.
You need to know what plugs are best for your set-up, when you plan to spray you need the coldest plug that will crank and idle properly and then there is the gap. (.035)
will keep the high pressure from blowing out the spark.
Timing is not your friend when just starting to find the right tune so start down low and be safe.
You need to understand how to flow the fuel system on the Nitrous side, If you need 6 psi for the fuel jet(s) and you set the pressure dead headed against the solenoid when you activate your system you will likely be lean.
If you have a kit that came with a book, use there recommended jets and start small until you get a handle on the plugs. Every one is going to tell you that the book recommended jets are to rich, they are rich settings and they are more safe also. finding the right tune will require some time because you need to creap up on it. slow and easy.
I get the idea that you are not out for all the power you can spray through you're engine so read the plugs and adjust from there. There is a lot to be learned on adjusting and tuning of nitrous. If you find that your plugs are rich after you make a pass and Shut the car down after crossing the line and towing back to the pits. You may deside to lower the fuel jet or up the nos jet and you can even adjust the fuel pressure down a 1/4 pound. So in your quest for the hp in the bottle remember to learn what you can and put it to use because every one on the web has diffrent ideas. You keep reading all these diffrent threads and you'll be loaded with knowledge but be careful as some times it's hard to differentiate the difference between the brilliance and bullsh*t,
so research every thing people tell you. Be safe and have fun.
Hope this leads you in the right direction.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBadPerformance
In my opinion you would feel much more easy if you armed your self with a little more knowledge. It helped me when I first started and I still read every thing I can to learn more.
Here are some tips.
If you know how to read plugs then research reading nitrous plugs.
You need to be able to see the fuel ring down in the plug and see where the heat is on the strap. If you don't have a scope to read with get one. Otoscopes are popular.
You need to know what plugs are best for your set-up, when you plan to spray you need the coldest plug that will crank and idle properly and then there is the gap. (.035)
will keep the high pressure from blowing out the spark.
Timing is not your friend when just starting to find the right tune so start down low and be safe.
You need to understand how to flow the fuel system on the Nitrous side, If you need 6 psi for the fuel jet(s) and you set the pressure dead headed against the solenoid when you activate your system you will likely be lean.
If you have a kit that came with a book, use there recommended jets and start small until you get a handle on the plugs. Every one is going to tell you that the book recommended jets are to rich, they are rich settings and they are more safe also. finding the right tune will require some time because you need to creap up on it. slow and easy.
I get the idea that you are not out for all the power you can spray through you're engine so read the plugs and adjust from there. There is a lot to be learned on adjusting and tuning of nitrous. If you find that your plugs are rich after you make a pass and Shut the car down after crossing the line and towing back to the pits. You may deside to lower the fuel jet or up the nos jet and you can even adjust the fuel pressure down a 1/4 pound. So in your quest for the hp in the bottle remember to learn what you can and put it to use because every one on the web has diffrent ideas. You keep reading all these diffrent threads and you'll be loaded with knowledge but be careful as some times it's hard to differentiate the difference between the brilliance and bullsh*t,
so research every thing people tell you. Be safe and have fun.
Hope this leads you in the right direction.
Great nitrous advice right there.
Its not all the time you find someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im gonna start at 150 and work my way up slowly until i get the hang of knowing how to read plugs right and all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitrous shot question