Sponsored by:

Switch panel for radio area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch panel for radio area?

Has anyone done this?

My car has the stock stereo removed, and as of right now that space is wide open. I wanted a switch panel with Arming switch, purge, bottle heater, and a place for my HSW Microedge controller. Does anyone make something like this or know of what I would need to make this?

Any pictures also would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im about to do this myself i will show you what i came up with whem im done im gunna run the msd digital window switch
Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Beer might make you one, but take it to PM. One thing to consider, adding a dedicated labeled heater switch may not be a good idea. IMHO, the heaters are history with the advant of the NANO technolgy. My super sweat custom panel now has a freaking heater label engraved and to me that says, old technology and this guy is not on top of things, and I do have NANO now, lol. Just something to think about.
Robert
Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 AM
FormerVendor

Ive made a few custom panels to replace the HVAC controls and radio. Since the radio is a pretty large area i like to put some gauges in there and leave the switches for the HVAC spot. you really just have to pick out which switches you need, how many and then just try to lay it out.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

hey Mike your up early, morning.

Here's a couple from my installs pictorial, for insite and ideas. it's actually really easy to make these. the problem is the custom labeling.

This first one belongs to TRIMIN8R,

and another example that belongs to jmill96Z,
Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Robert,

I still use the heater and have NANO. I use the heater for the street, and the NANO for the track. Plus the cost of NANO makes the heater still viable for many. Unless your filling your own NANO bottle, you would not want to get caught with an empty NANO and no heater on a fresh bottle swap.

I think other than the material for the panel a few bolt spacers (nylon from Ace Hardware) are needed so a "Delete" panel (HVAC or Radio) does not pull in and away from the trim.

Most engravers would charge a $30-50 Setup (Art) fee and then add material and engraving. If you took a template to them it would be fairly easy to get one cut to shape and have labels/graphics engraved on it.

I would use material that was 1/8" to reduce flex.

Jim

Last edited by Beer99C5; 02-15-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robert56
hey Mike your up early, morning.

Here's a couple from my installs pictorial, for insite and ideas. it's actually really easy to make these. the problem is the custom labeling.

This first one belongs to TRIMIN8R,

and another example that belongs to jmill96Z,

Nice installs. Do you have a listing of what you used to build the one for Trmin8r?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
Nice installs. Do you have a listing of what you used to build the one for Trmin8r?
You really only need one thing and thats the piece of plastic. Personally i used plexiglass. From there you have two options. You can either cutout a shape the same size as the radio and drill out the same bolt holes. From there you will need to use a few washers to space it out. If you didnt, you would have a good half inch gap between the face and the bezel. Other option would be to use Loctite plastic glue and just glue the plastic to the back of the bezel.

from there just pick out some gauges and switches. Make sure you measure and drill accuratly so everything is spaced out and lined up correctly
Old 02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Robert,

I still use the heater and have NANO. I use the heater for the street, and the NANO for the track. Plus the cost of NANO makes the heater still viable for many. Unless your filling your own NANO bottle, you would not want to get caught with an empty NANO and no heater on a fresh bottle swap.

I think other than the material for the panel a few bolt spacers (nylon from Ace Hardware) are needed so a "Delete" panel (HVAC or Radio) does not pull in and away from the trim.

Most engravers would charge a $30-50 Setup (Art) fee and then add material and engraving. If you took a template to them it would be fairly easy to get one cut to shape and have labels/graphics engraved on it.

I would use material that was 1/8" to reduce flex.

Jim
That's cool if that's what you want to do. but NANO is very clear on the fact that using NANO, you need to fill the NANO bottle at each nitrous fill in order for the technology to pan out. So the point is, having used up part of your nitrous with a heater, then later putting a fresh nitrous bottle in with a partial filled NANO bottle we will not be seeing the power potential of the NANO. If we keep them both filled at the same time our tunes will stay correct all of the time. when adding the heater back in we will be seeing once again bottle pressure drop per run and our tune falling off. the thing is we have just retuned it for NANO use and that can be 20% change.

So, imo, mixing the two is not the best of both worlds as it messes the tune up again, when the reason we went with NANO is to have a stable tune. Just my humble opinion. Both of my NX heater kits have already been sold, i see no reason what so ever for me to ever need them again. Just open the n2o bottle once I am in the car and bingo perfect pressure/tune.

What i want to do in the future for the sw panels is to have access instead of heater, that way the end user can still use the heater until he gets his NANO, and if your serious about n2o, then NANO is in your future.
Robert

Quick Reply: Switch panel for radio area?