Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is nitrous illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell I told a cop over the weekend It had nitrous when he asked what was done to it He just got a big smile on his face and asked what It would run
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
This is exactally why my bottle is in my spare tire compartment with an electric opener, switches in the ashtray. Out of sight, out of mind
I have all of my switches in the ashtray as well. I have my bottle mounted between the back seats and keep a waet jacket on top of it to hide it. You cant even tell unless I pop the hood.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked an officer yesterday and he didn't have a clue. His only help was for me to call the state police and ask.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I don't see why having it hooked up should be illegal as long as you aren't breaking any driving laws. I would like to be able to show off and hit the purge on people
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
I asked an officer yesterday and he didn't have a clue. His only help was for me to call the state police and ask.
Yup, thats correct because most towns do not patrol their freeways and those laws may different from town to town.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

It makes no sense for there to be a law preventing you from having it hooked up. If your not speeding or breaking the law I cannot see how they can use that against you in any way. Even if you are speeding or breaking the law, doing it with nitrous is no different than doing it with a turbocharger or stock chevy aveo! Florida has laws pertaining to the transportation of nitrous oxide, but Nitrous Oxide with Sulfur Dioxide is exempt. They are worried about the "drug" use and not the automotive use. I still have yet to find any information or laws in florida which prevents you from having nitrous oxide hooked up to your car or even spraying it on public roads (assuming you are adhering to all other laws)

Florida Statute 877.111 (4)

Any person who knowingly distributes, sells, purchases, transfers, or possesses more than 16 grams of nitrous oxide commits a felony of the third degree which shall be known as unlawful distribution of nitrous oxide, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. For purposes of this subsection, in addition to proving by any other means that nitrous oxide was knowingly possessed, distributed, sold, purchased, or transferred, proof that any person discharged, or aided another in discharging, nitrous oxide to inflate a balloon or any other object suitable for subsequent inhalation creates an inference of the person's knowledge that the nitrous oxide's use was for an unlawful purpose. This subsection does not apply to the possession and use of nitrous oxide as part of the care and treatment of a disease or injury by a practitioner licensed under chapter 458, chapter 459, chapter 464, chapter 466, or chapter 474; as a food-processing propellant; as a semiconductor oxidizer; as an analytical chemistry oxidizer in atomic absorption spectrometry; in the production of chemicals used to inflate airbags; as an oxidizer for chemical production, combustion, or jet propulsion; or as a motor vehicle induction additive when mixed with sulphur dioxide.

There is so much misinformation floating around about nitrous. I can imagine all of this "illegal in florida" bs comes along with fast and the furious being in Miami and little ricers needing reasons to run when the cops pull up.

Last edited by distinctdev; 03-17-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that its illegal to have on the streets here in NE. It says in the nebraska hwy/roads driving guide. But i have been pulled over a few times and my bottle is mounted on the trans hump between the seats. I've had a few officers shine there light back there and saw it, but have never said anything about it. I know one of the cops in my town and i even pulled up next to him one night and purged it at him haha. He didnt even know what it was, me and him pulled over and were just talking and he asked me "wtf was that, that you were spraying"
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01SOMZ28
I know that its illegal to have on the streets here in NE. It says in the nebraska hwy/roads driving guide. But i have been pulled over a few times and my bottle is mounted on the trans hump between the seats. I've had a few officers shine there light back there and saw it, but have never said anything about it. I know one of the cops in my town and i even pulled up next to him one night and purged it at him haha. He didnt even know what it was, me and him pulled over and were just talking and he asked me "wtf was that, that you were spraying"
yep, illegal, but the law itself is pretty vague.

"It is unlawful to use nitrous oxide in any motor vehicle operated on any highway in this state."

I wouldn't consider having it hooked up with the bottle valve open "use." Luckily I haven't ran into an officer who is a dick about it.

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/l...te=s6006287001
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM

id just keep my nitrous bottle under the passenger seat of my car keep the button under my arm rest so its hidden but close or under the glove box or in in my ashtray
Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep your **** hidden and don't get your car searched and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

VA Nitrous Oxide Law

Copied From the criminal code:

§ 46.2-1088.4. Devices used to supply nitrous oxide to the engines of motor vehicles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth if such vehicle is equipped with any device that supplies the vehicle's engine with nitrous oxide, unless the device has been disabled such that the supply of nitrous oxide is disconnected and not readily accessible to the source of delivery.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor. And a fine up to $500
Old 05-25-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way i can see them being very picky about nitrous being on a car would be the fact that contents under pressure may explode and in the case of the contents of the bottle it is a non flammable gas which will FEED a fire. I remember many years ago we started placing the non flammable gas stickers on the liscense plate since Texas had moved the registration and inspection to the drivers side windshield.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM

like they all said, state to state it differs. You need to look on SEMA Action Groups website. they have all the info on all kind of mods. Like i do know here in texas it is not illegal to have it, only if it is mounted in a permanet maner. If you are one of those guys that like to say,,, see look that is where my bottle goes. and have it tucked in a blaket on the floor so it looks like it is not installed, good luck if u get caught, that is considered transporting the gas, this would require the proper licence and vehical markings on the outside. If it is mounted then it is clasified as a permentent power adder, such as a turbo or blower, Dont let a cop with his made up laws make u think other wise. if you do ur reserch and know ur stuff you can be ready for the fuzz, I know someone in here wants to say, "I had a buddy" well you are right u did. one that did not know his laws or rights. A cop can give u a ticket for anything in his head, if you dont fight it or know what your talking about they will make up a fine for the ticket, trust me I have had one of them. This is what SEMA Action Group does. The group is made up of mostly law makers lawyers and politicals that love there cars. By the way. Every state has rights but California. If you are from there just put ur rights on ebay. you dont need them.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by DubbleTruble
Every state has rights but California. If you are from there just put ur rights on ebay. you dont need them.

Now thats funny i dont care who you are....
Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Cop are known to tell whoopers too, I had a captain tell me one night it was illegal to have a loaded firearm in my truck, but he did nothing about it. Later I found out from a racing buddy (also local officer) there wasn't anything he could do about it cause it was infact not against the law, but the captian thought he could scare people and make the town a safer place, with a little white lie...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Every state has rights but California. If you are from there just put ur rights on ebay. you dont need them.[/QUOTE]

Normally I would agree, but the last time I got a ticket for nitrous, my lawyer explained that in California the only law against it was that it had to be proven that you had intent to sell or consume as a controlled substance. This was about 4 years ago. Maybe it has changed, but I doubt it. In fact my ticket was completely cleared even though it was hooked up and the valve was open. but like I wrote, this could have changed since then

Quick Reply: Is nitrous illegal?