Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous "shelf life"

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous "shelf life"

I have had a 100% full nitrous bottle in my car for over a year. Today I decided to open it up and have a lil fun. I checked the BP it was ~900psi. I do not have a purge so I removed the line and purged it manually I hope you guys can understand that. Well I do a 35 mph pull and it felt like it pulled a lil then fell off. So I turn around and try it again and it pulled a little better but fell off again then picked back up. I thought all that was weird and thought maybe my car was pulling timing or something because it sensed knock...I do not think that is the case. I take my line out of the intake and press the switch with my finger and nothing but air comes out till the line is empty (the bottle was closed at this point) when i purged it manually in the beginning there was a steady stream of juice coming out my question is, is it possible that there is alot of air in my bottle somehow or is something else happening. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the input.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
I have had a 100% full nitrous bottle in my car for over a year. Today I decided to open it up and have a lil fun. I checked the BP it was ~900psi. I do not have a purge so I removed the line and purged it manually I hope you guys can understand that. Well I do a 35 mph pull and it felt like it pulled a lil then fell off. So I turn around and try it again and it pulled a little better but fell off again then picked back up. I thought all that was weird and thought maybe my car was pulling timing or something because it sensed knock...I do not think that is the case. I take my line out of the intake and press the switch with my finger and nothing but air comes out till the line is empty (the bottle was closed at this point) when i purged it manually in the beginning there was a steady stream of juice coming out my question is, is it possible that there is alot of air in my bottle somehow or is something else happening. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the input.
I've had full bottles stored over a year, and work just fine. Its possible that it may have leaked out. Did you weigh the bottle?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I did not weigh the bottle but if it leaked out I shouldn't have found any nitrous at all right? You think I should just let alot of the contents out and see if it comes out in a white cloud or just air. You think maybe I was picking up air because the bottle isn't in a right position it is mounted vertically in the spare tire area. I do have it turned so the pick up tube is facing the rear of the car though.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

do you have a filter for the nitrous?
...id check to see if it is clogged..
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

No I did not weigh the bottle but if it leaked out I shouldn't have found any nitrous at all right? You think I should just let alot of the contents out and see if it comes out in a white cloud or just air. You think maybe I was picking up air because the bottle isn't in a right position it is mounted vertically in the spare tire area. I do have it turned so the pick up tube is facing the rear of the car though.
Just take a bathroom scale and weight the bottle. If it has a slow leak, there could have still been some in. Bottle position can have something to do with it as well.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will have to do more digging to see what is the cause of it. I haven't mentioned it before but it is a 100 dry shot. I am going to open the bottle sometime today slowly and see what comes out. I don't have a nitrous filter so that can be ruled out.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Dont quite understand can you elaborate?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

wen we finished up my kit the new bottle was empty so we took my dads old bottle (from the 80s) which has sat full since i was born (89) and it worked fine
Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28rob18
wen we finished up my kit the new bottle was empty so we took my dads old bottle (from the 80s) which has sat full since i was born (89) and it worked fine
Does the bottle still seal good after sitting that long?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used my finger to manually press my WOT switch to make it spray. I think I have out what was going on. I weighed my bottle today and it only weighed 17-18 lbs. I am thinking that is the reason why I was picking up air. I will get it filled and try it again I hope this is the problem.

Quick Reply: Nitrous "shelf life"