Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purge solenoid sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default purge solenoid sticking

as the title says my purge solenoid is sticking open. I went up to the track last night and was in the staging lanes and went to purge and it stuck open. So clicked the purge button a couple times and nothing happened so I shut the bottle off. I tried it again later after I had turned the car off and opened the bottle and once I hit the button again it stuck open. Is the solenoid bad...its a week old. I went up to the last last week and the purge worked great but I was out of nitrous. So I didnt get to spray it at a track yet. Last week was the first I used the purge solenoid. I do have a nitrous filter inline so I dont think anything is stuck inside it.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Make sure your purge button isn't bad.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

alright I went back out to monkey with the car a bit. I tested the purge with the car off and in the on position. The solenoid click so I tried it again and it clicked but didnt sound like it shut. There was only one click. Usually there is two...when it opens and closes. So I turned the key off just in case so the solenoid doesnt burn up. I opened the bottle and tested the purge with pressure in the lines. It hit once for a split second and it worked fine. Tried it again and it worked again. Tried it again and it stuck open so I turned the key off and it was still open, but closes before I could make it back to the bottle to close it. I also tried the a new purge switch I had extra, same results. The extra purge button is brand new as well, which came with the kit. Im thinking the solenoid is bad but im new to nitrous

anybody else?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your purge button need to be fixed or changed , find it out
Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

buy a new solenoid they are cheap from any sponsors here , HSW or dynotune .
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

I tried my extra purge button...both were new from HSW with the kit. I really dont wanna buy another solenoid because the solenoid that came with the kit I ruined with teflon tape despite the directions warning against it. This is a brand new solenoid I bought and I used loctite that came with the kit on it and it was working great last week and now its sticking...I dont think I should have to buy another solenoid.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Its trash stuck on the plunger. Let me know if you need instructions on how to open it.

Nick
Old 07-04-2009, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Its trash stuck on the plunger. Let me know if you need instructions on how to open it.

Nick
Yea I would appreciate it...thanks

I have a nitrous filter just after the bottle, would stuff still get through that?

Also I just had another problem with it. I went up to the car wash and rinsed it down, which I have done before but thought I would mention it. I came back home and put it in the garage and when I turned the car off the purge solenoid was cycling, even with the key out of the ignition. Has anybody else had this problem...wiring maybe? Relay being wet?

I just dont understand whats goin on here because it was working fine before for the last couple of weeks
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Yea I would appreciate it...thanks

I have a nitrous filter just after the bottle, would stuff still get through that?

Also I just had another problem with it. I went up to the car wash and rinsed it down, which I have done before but thought I would mention it. I came back home and put it in the garage and when I turned the car off the purge solenoid was cycling, even with the key out of the ignition. Has anybody else had this problem...wiring maybe? Relay being wet?

I just dont understand whats goin on here because it was working fine before for the last couple of weeks
Sounds like you fried something electrically. Where do you have everything mounted?

Nick
Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

I have the relays mounted in the engine compartment behind the computer. I didnt open the hood or anything though. I just rinsed the car off. But I also had the problem with the solenoid before I washed the car. Everything is heat shrinked minus the relays. I taped both the nitrous and purge relays together and havent not had a problem with the main nitrous system relay.

Also on a side note...I have the ash tray switchs and the nitrous rocker switch will sometimes stay dimly lite with the switch in the off position. I unplugged the keyed 12v and it still stayed on. I have the keyed 12v and ground spliced into the same wires/ground for the purge, nitrous, and heater but the nitrous one is that only one that stays dimly lite. The microedge still says standby when this happens and says armed once I turn it on so it seems to be operating correctly. So I'm not sure whats goin on here.

Quick Reply: purge solenoid sticking