Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottle mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottle mounting question

I just got a nos05177 kit, and im gonna mount the bottle where the spare goes (as most do it seems). What kind of fabrications will i need to make or will i be able to just mount the brackets to the wheel well? tips/pics everything/anything would help me out a great deal. thanks fellas
Travis
Old 11-14-2003, 09:38 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

Default bottle mounting

Originally Posted by slik98z
I just got a nos05177 kit, and im gonna mount the bottle where the spare goes (as most do it seems). What kind of fabrications will i need to make or will i be able to just mount the brackets to the wheel well? tips/pics everything/anything would help me out a great deal. thanks fellas
Travis
I used plywood and covered it with black leather.Took some fitting cutting fitting cutting to get it right i mounted the backing to where the spare tires is located.Then made a base for it then I used the holders that came with the kit.I have some pictures here. within the next month or so I can get you some more pics of the holder without the bottle there if you need them Im going to redo my speaker box so ill snap a few more picss any qs e-mail me at silverz28camaro@sbcglobal.net
Attached Thumbnails bottle mounting question-15lb-bottle.jpg   bottle mounting question-completly-hidden-bottle.jpg   bottle mounting question-hidden-bottle-turn-.jpg  
Old 11-15-2003, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the speaker have to be removed to mount the bottle there?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:22 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

Default Speaker

Originally Posted by slik98z
Travis

Yes it does I removed the one in the other side also.Dont miss it since I have the 2 12s in the t-top space
Old 11-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another idea for you. No, you don't have to remove the speaker. It fits fine.

Old 11-15-2003, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaywoo
Here's another idea for you. No, you don't have to remove the speaker. It fits fine.

I have a 15lb bottle coming though....
Old 11-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Launching!

mount it here

Old 11-15-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The speaker is fine with a 15 pound bottle mounted inside the spare tire well. I used the brackets NOS shipped me with the kit. The back (lower) one just mounts to the inside wall, bolts going towards the fuel tank. Not touching, just giving reference! The front one I mounted on a sturdy L bracket I bought at OSH. The L bracket mounted to the inner wall just like the lower small bracket. The upper (front) bracket mounts to the L bracket.

Worked for me - and cheap too....

http://www.californiamasseys.com/formula.html

Mike M
Old 11-15-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nate, Man that looks real cool and it would be easy acess like you said but I ride with more than one passenger some times. If there was a way to keep the buckets in and mount the bottle with blow down tube then I would be all over it.

Mike, thats what I wantted to hear, I like my music to much to hack out a speaker. Im a little confuse about the L bracket you were talking about. But I will try and fiuger it out when the kit gets here. I might send you a email with some questions if you dont mind.

,Justin
Old 11-16-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Justin, I don't mind taking the bottle out and e-mailing you some pics. Just say the word.

Mike M
Old 11-16-2003, 02:29 AM
Launching!

12.5lb. Carbon Fibre bottle ($400+ COUGH) fits w/o removing the seats. Just FYI.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Bird
Justin, I don't mind taking the bottle out and e-mailing you some pics. Just say the word.

Mike M

Mike, Send some my way when you get a chance. No rush the kit wont be here till next week. jsonic16@hotmail.com

Nate, might be a possibilty for the future but for right now I can hardly aford the $400 I spent on the kit much less that much more for just a bottle

,Justin
Old 11-16-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nate your car looks awsome!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Very nice looking set up MOTRUBL
Old 11-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Thank you. Just make sure you don't pull 2nd gear too hard. It get's a little ruff on the elbows []
Old 11-19-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99TranTrany
Nate, Man that looks real cool and it would be easy acess like you said but I ride with more than one passenger some times. If there was a way to keep the buckets in and mount the bottle with blow down tube then I would be all over it.

,Justin

There is no reason 2 people still cant sit in the back...
Old 11-19-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JxxxOxxxE

There is no reason 2 people still cant sit in the back...
That looks pretty cool man. How are the brackets mounted on there? What hardware did you use to raise it up like that? Also where did you run your nitrous line? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

more info on the bottle mounting PLEASE.... for the hump that is..... that's where mine is going.. also, what did you do to run the blowdown tube like that?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry guys for the delayed response....anyway....here ya go...

The brackets are just the regular brackets that came with the TNT kit....

First I started by pulling the rear seats, and rear interior molding pieces. I was doing alot of other stuff at this time to, so you could probably get away without doing that part. I put the brackets on the bottle and made a couple of test fits to see where it would set nicely. You can't have it to far forward, or else your console won't open. The open valve for mine sits right over the cupholders on the back of the console...

The tunnel that it sits on is actually sloped towards the front of the car, so it made it a little more difficult. Also, with the carpet outta the way, you can see that the tunnel has ribs that raise up and run across it. I had to knock one of the ribs down with a hammer to make sure the bottle could go back enough...

When I got it where I wanted it, I tapped some dimples with a screw driver, and then drilled the holes out. You have to be careful here, as right underneath this part of the tunnel is part of the E-brake system. Look under there before you drill or anything, you'll see what I am talking about. After The holes were good, I put the carpet and everything back, then cut small "X's" where the bolts would be going though. Cutting an "x" instead of a hole lets the carpet look like it was formed for it. If you'll notice, the legs look a little crooked, that is because I had to work around that E-Brake assmebly piece. You cant really tell by just looking at it though...

The leg type things are just some rolled tubing that I got from the hardware store. I dont remember how tall they are, but there are 2 of them on each front, and I think one on the back. I had to have one on the back, because the ribs of the tunnel were still to high. If someone really wants me to, I can measure them. I just ran the appropriate length bolt through the braket, down the tubes, and out the car, through the holes I drilled previously. Then I had my brother hold the tops of the bolts while I secured them with some nylon locking nuts...

The blow down tube was pretty easy. I just eyeballed where it would line up, cut an "X" in the carpet, and drilled a hole. If you ask me, I think it came out the best looking. It just looks really smoth and clean...stock like maybe...

I guess I should have done a write-up about the whole thing with some pics. I will be installing some amps, and subs soon, so maybe I can pull everything back and snap a few pics to put a write up together....

It gets lots of looks where its at, and since I have the TNT F1 wet kit, there was now way I was going to be able to hide it anyway. Not that I wanted to, but some people like to run secret nitrous, plus I hated the idea of having to get back into the truck part everytime. Sure I could have got a remote bottle opener, but for $150 or whatever they are, I could get something else more useful.......

If there is anything I forgot, or you have any questions, just ask....
Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool, where did you run you're line? and it looks like there is a rubber boot around the bottom of the blowdown tube.. where did that come from?

Quick Reply: bottle mounting question