Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experienced on fixing Solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experienced on fixing Solenoids?

Ok, looking Nitrous Outlet, I looked up the solenoid repair parts. Looks simple. The outer casing, or Elctro-Magnet, surrounds the "Tower" which looks like a plain stud, but it is hollow inside and allows the "piston" to ride up inside it once the solenoid receives a charge! Now, heres the questions:

What tool, other than a NX solenoid tool to use to get the tower unscrewed from these beautiful new NXL rails?

Why, what, would casue BOTH fuel solenoids to stop working. I can see some dirt making the soleoid stick open, but CLOSED, and BOTH?

Is the Oring reuseable? If not, is it a common rubber oring?

Troubleshooting, the electro magnets work, I tried the fuel side on the Nitrous Towers and they pulled them open, but no matter what the fuel tower would not allow the piston up inside!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

when you get the rebuild kit or the appropriate wrench (FYI 90 degree snap ring pliers work for removal most times but for the tough ones you will need the special tool) to remove the tower you will probably find some build up.. as well have you checked the inlet fitting's filter to make sure it is not clogged with debris? i take it these solenoids are newer and not older ones that have sat around for an extended time?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Restricted User

Yes, they were only like two months old, and its the both fuel ones out, now thats odd. Sent them back to NX. Need to replace one of the small fuel feeder lines as well. Oh well. as long as the Mags work, the warranty covers all but mags, and of course shipping.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Default Solenoids

There are four things that will keep the fuel solenoids from opening. Bad Electrical connection, both of the solenoid coils are bad or the plunger springs have come out and turned sideways. If someone has attempted to take the solenoids apart with a pair of pliers or vise grips and grabbed the solenoid stem below the threaded section it will crush the internal channel that the plunger rides in and the solenoid will no longer open because it does not have enough clearance.

The first thing you should check is the wiring and make sure it is not a bad connection.

If you do not have a spanner wrench to take the solenoids apart you can take them apart by taking a big pair of vise grips and grabbing the solenoid stem by the base of the threads, (DO NOT CLAMP THE VISE GRIPS DOWN BELOW THE THREADS OR IT WILL CRUSH THE CHANNEL INSIDE THAT THE PLUNGER GOES UP AND DOWN IN AND THE SOLENOID WILL NOT OPEN). If the stem was loose when you got it there is a possibility that the spring that goes into the bottom of the plunger as fallen out and turned sideways and this will not allow the plunger to lift.

If you have any questions feel free to call me at 903-565-4245

Robert Lane
http://www.fastlanenitrous.com
Old 12-04-2003, 01:24 AM
Restricted User

Well, sent them to NX to deal with. Free replacement and attentive. I thought about it, and figure if I need to take them apart I will use two nuts, and use one against the other to back it out. The wires are all good, and the magnets are good. Has to be springs, or maybe the piston cocked sideways....Richie or Josh will be calling after they get it.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 12-04-2003, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

more times than not it is simply the spring that causes the fuel solonoids to stick shut.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Restricted User

Hope so. Do they need replacement if thats the case or just reseat them?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:23 AM
7 Second/200 MPH Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Hope so. Do they need replacement if thats the case or just reseat them?
I am not familiar with the NX solenoids but I have had that problem with NOS what happen is the seal on the plunger swells causing it to bind. The fix for this is a Teflon seal replacement plunger works great.

Quick Reply: Anyone experienced on fixing Solenoids?