Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice needed on nitrous

Hey guys, I was looking into getting some nitrous installed on my trans am here soon. Im a beginner when it comes to nitrous so please bear with me. My car is a weekend car that does not see any track times. I probably just want to stick to a 100 shot of nitrous. I'm kinda of confused on whether or not to go with a dry or wet kit. Someone told me wet was the way to go and that dry can complicate things. I've read that im going to need a window switch for safety. Do all nos systems work by the user pushing the button on demand? Or are there systems that automatically inject nitrous between certain rpms? Any kits that could be recommended? Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both systems have their pros and cons, wet systems are usually easier to tune because you can adjust youre a/f ratio by simply swapping out the fuel pill. A dry kit is simpler in the way that there are less parts, but is a little trickier when it comes to tuning. Be it the placement of the nozzle before the maf, or adding fuel via software such as HPtuners or efi live if placing the nozzle after the tb.

You can use a window switch in conjuction with a wot switch, to activate the nitrous system at a certain rpm "window" while only at wide open throttle. A fuel pressure safety switch (fpss) can also be used to keep the nitrous system from activating if there isnt enough fuel pressure.

Check out Harris Speed Works or Nitrous Outlet, both are top notch companies and have all kinds of kits; wet, dry, plate, nozzle, etc...

I am by no means an expert, but hopefully this will help you out some. Ive been doing research on nitrous for about a year before i finally pulled the trigger and ordered a kit just a few days ago...of course the holiday discounts also aided in my decision as well.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well what is needed to be done in order for you to inject nitrous from a push of a button? I want to be able to use it on demand. I dont want it to engage by itself.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greekey
Well what is needed to be done in order for you to inject nitrous from a push of a button? I want to be able to use it on demand. I dont want it to engage by itself.
Install a button...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was looking at this but is that nitrous switch for arming the system or actually injecting?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Hey guys, I was looking into getting some nitrous installed on my trans am here soon. Im a beginner when it comes to nitrous so please bear with me. My car is a weekend car that does not see any track times. I probably just want to stick to a 100 shot of nitrous. I'm kinda of confused on whether or not to go with a dry or wet kit. Someone told me wet was the way to go and that dry can complicate things. I've read that im going to need a window switch for safety. Do all nos systems work by the user pushing the button on demand? Or are there systems that automatically inject nitrous between certain rpms? Any kits that could be recommended? Thanks
Replied to your PM. Just give us a call at the shop tomorrow. Thanks.

Nick
Old 12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

^^Thats too arm the system^^

Im not great at wiring, but i would assume you just wire a momentary switch to the solenoids in place of the window switch.

The window switch doesnt allow it to activate whenever it wants, it has to meet certain criteria first. Firstly, you will have a switch which activates the system. (sends power to the relay) Lets say ur cruising, and someone pulls up to you for a run. When you floor it, you just activated your wot switch, which is one of the criteria which has to be met. But your kit still wont activate until the rest of the criteria is met. If youre window switch is set to activate at 3500rpm, the solenoids wont fire until youre at that rpm. Then, you set the window switch to kill the system at a certain rpm as well, like 6500 or somewhere before you hit the rev limiter. This is so the system doesnt continue to spray if you hit youre rev limiter which could cause damage to the motor.

The reason for setting the window switch to start off at around 3k rpm, is so there is sufficient air speed inside the manifold so that the fuel doenst fall out of suspension.(this is on wet kits, cause fuel is heavier than nitrous) Although i dont know if this is still a problem with todays plate systems seeing as they atomize the mixture much better.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was looking at this but is that nitrous switch for arming the system or actually injecting?

That's to arm the system. You don't want it to start spraying when you flip a rocker switch without any other means of turning the kit off.

You could run that panel with a WOT switch like most people do. So you can go wide open throttle, flip the arming switch and it will spray until you let off the throttle.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What seems to be the easiest way to bring electrical wires from the engine bay into the car for a nitrous system?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

What seems to be the easiest way to bring electrical wires from the engine bay into the car for a nitrous system?
firewall right behind the glove box

Quick Reply: Advice needed on nitrous