Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you content with your Nitrous SETUP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Are you content with your Nitrous SETUP?

I don't mean the power level, none of us are ever going to be content with that, I mean the type of power adder it is.

I'm in the process of getting the plate kit and NANO from Nitro Dave installed on the Viper, should be done late this week or early next week. Planning for at least the 200's, most likely 250's (both progressive). My question comes because I have considered it a temporary 'patch' to do me over power wise until I can do the TT's in the Fall. I'm honestly wondering though if I'll be happy with the nitrous and not have any desire to go FI. So, how do you guys feel? Would you rather have something else, honestly, or are you perfectly happy with it? I'm not deeming one better than the other or worse, just different. A few advantages of each are as follows, at least in my mind:

Nitrous
NA drivability, stock idle, big power possibilities, etc.

Turbos
Big power, power is always there, 'wow' factor

Disadvantages of each, again IMO:

Nitrous
Possibility of running low/out, not always there

Turbos
Expense (not as much of an issue in the grand scheme of things)

What do you guys think? I'm not sure what I want my ultimate outcome to be so I thought I'd grab some opinions.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had the money, I would do a big procharger build personally. But for now I am perfectly happy with my nitrous combo.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nitrous has its place IMO but i was using it just as a ''band-aid'' as well. it was fun while i had it but for what i want FI is definitely the way to go...
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

i feel the same way, i feel like a kid using n20 im already ready to go turbo tired of filling bottles every day
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

I'm content, but I think you should plan on doing the turbos. To enjoy nitrous as a power adder you need to have enough power that the car is fun without it. Coming from a high HP car I doubt you'll be satisfied with the 410hp off the bottle.
Bad *** car by the way.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

im content with my nitrous i dd my car so i like the stock feel around town but have the bottle for those times when its needed
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Launching!

im content with it, only power adder i ever had, you cant beat it for the price opposed to others, refilling bottles does get old sometimes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Yep, I feel the same way. Hopefully it will do me over for a season until I can get the cash together for the turbos. Priorities suck!

Originally Posted by MPM IV
I'm content, but I think you should plan on doing the turbos. To enjoy nitrous as a power adder you need to have enough power that the car is fun without it. Coming from a high HP car I doubt you'll be satisfied with the 410hp off the bottle.
Bad *** car by the way.
Thanks man!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Been sprayin a ls motor since 02 .It is chalanging every day. obviously we love it cause i have spent enough to build any of the above combo's and have not.

we have a "gangsta" LS build going now. One day well play with something else for now nitrous small block racing is fun.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You put the gas on that V10 and your going to be plenty happy. Get all the facny do-dads and you'll be even happier.

Trick gauges, controllers and a quality install and your mint.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
You put the gas on that V10 and your going to be plenty happy. Get all the facny do-dads and you'll be even happier.

Trick gauges, controllers and a quality install and your mint.
I think the kit I got is pretty hefty, hoping it will be fun!:

Plate system with 15lb bottle.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...5&product=3542

Digital progressive controller with TPS activation and windowswitch.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=4004

Switch panel.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...7&product=3242

Remote opener.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...=23&section=77

Dedicated fuel system.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=2835

Nano.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...1&product=2873
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

im happy with it. i have a tnt kit and i really like it. its a fairly cheap and simple way to make power. its the only power adder ive ever used and probably ever will. plus i like to see people freak out when i tell them i have nitrous on my car lol. like its something bad or dangerous.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPM IV
Bad *** car by the way.

****, your car on motor felt better than my car on 100 shot and i put down 445 NA.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I had the money I would just burn the car to the ground and buy a Porsche, but then again I'm sick of my F-body and even after the stock ls1 to cammed ls2 swap I got bored with it after about two weeks.

I have a 150 shot on the car and have for the last ... I don't know like year or so and I've put less than 2 bottles through it. Just don't care anymore.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

If you fill your owen bottles it is great. But I have been using for over 20 years. and filling bottles for the same amount of time. So it is perfect for me. I like turbo's but man they sure cost a pretty penny. Plus in IMO working around all turbo parts in the engine compartment can be a real pain..
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

I plan on renting a tank/refill kit on a monthly basis so hopefully the empty bottle isn't an issue, it's the nano that maybe, but I can always torch the bottle for that I guess
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

refills suck and are too frequent. its not always there. a couple times ive run up on a bike i wanted to mess wth only to realise i was out. turbos are were its at imo. although on the street i really like a centrifugal blower. did a procharged c5 and a tt gto and the c5 was much more fun. power was very usuable. and then you have my nitrous camaro....its on or off. if i whack the throttle and it doesnt hook im pretty much done.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what I do with my car I'm 100% satisfied with nitrous. I'm a poor boy and it has allowed for me to run some times that otherwize I would never be able to have ran. I learn new stuff about it almost on a daily basis (at least weekly). It does get expensive but what doesn't in this hobby?

I have had the pleasure of driving a few really fast street cars (TT ZO6, D1SC C6 ZO6, N20 F bodies, C5's, KB Cobras, ETC.) and if I were going to build a car to cruise around in and outrun pretty much anything I wanted to I'd go with a set of twins. The TTZO6 I drove was wicked! Hazing the tires @ 100+ on the highway is quite a rush!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive really enjoyed the kit. Lots of things to play with and can change power levels a lot making more races fun. How many cars can keep up with a tt viper? Pretty much none on a regular basis. But if the cars arent fast enough you can run on motor and still have good races.

Fills never really been as bad as people made them out to be imo. If its that big deal get a couple of bottles and keep a few extras at the house.

Im hoping the new Powerglide tranbrake setup and stuff will add even more fun to playing with the spray.

Either way im sure you will be happy. You have a great car as is. The power adder is just a huge sexy plus
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Ive really enjoyed the kit. Lots of things to play with and can change power levels a lot making more races fun. How many cars can keep up with a tt viper? Pretty much none on a regular basis. But if the cars arent fast enough you can run on motor and still have good races.
I agree with this 100% I really like being able to tweak the power level to get the best race I can. It opens up for challenges that people would otherwise back away from.

That being said, I did buy the kit as a band aid originally with plans to go with a supercharger down the road. After using the nitrous for a while (100-125 shots) I thought maybe I'd just stick with it and go with a stroker/nitrous setup eventually. Now after seeing all the crazy blower/turbo builds, I'm realizing that to get big horsepower I would have to use a big shot that would require filling the bottle alot and now I'm thinking maybe blower again.

Either way, I won't have the money to do that any time soon, so I plan on just redoing my nitrous kit a bit to make it look nice and more user friendly and I'm going to enjoy what I have!

Great looking viper, btw! That would be my number 1 choice if I was able to buy one.