Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the details of this NXL "fuel reservoir"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, got the latest info... The prototype NXL Accumulator has passed all levels of QA testing, and has been moved to the manufacturing stage. I didn't get a timeline on when they'll be available to the public, but as soon as I know I'll forward the info...
Old 02-06-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
Okay, got the latest info... The prototype NXL Accumulator has passed all levels of QA testing, and has been moved to the manufacturing stage. I didn't get a timeline on when they'll be available to the public, but as soon as I know I'll forward the info...
sweet. wanna pick this up ASAP.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Teching In

This is typical NX BS. I seriously doubt you will see this unit by June. They did the same thing when they introduced the system at 2002 SEMA show. They claim to have tested the NXL system as well but did not have a clue it emptied the fuel rail on launch and sent the a/f so lean it was off the dyno chart. What really ticks me off is that NX AND THEIR DEALERS continue to sell this piece of junk to an unsuspecting public while they work on a fix.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not all vehicles experience the same issues, nor all to the same degree. When the NXL was tested on a bone stock LS1 A4, the initial lean dip was no more severe than any other EFI nitrous kit. Since this is the NXL kit's target application, it was deemed production ready. Now, when the kit was installed on a well modified car -- like my Formula -- my fuel system really isn't even up to the task of what's on the car already, so when the kit activates the initial hit is a bit more dramatic. The accumulator solves this problem, as would switching to a fuel system with a regulator at the rail.

The NXL kit itself has been used for quite a long time on Hondas, without any initial hesitation... Why? Because their regulator is on the rail. The "problem" with this kit really isn't with the kit at all -- it's the fact the LS1 has the pressure regulator so far away from the rails, so any sudden demand will cause the rail pressure to drop. Hook a fuel pressure gauge to an LS1 with any wet kit, and you'll see the pressure drops on activation.

As for actually testing the accumulator, I'm not saying anything -- but I know it works
Old 02-07-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have been looking into the kit as well, for i am building up a 6.0 motor for a friends truck.

Just wondering but what do you do Brian to know this?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Not all vehicles experience the same issues, nor all to the same degree. When the NXL was tested on a bone stock LS1 A4, the initial lean dip was no more severe than any other EFI nitrous kit. Since this is the NXL kit's target application, it was deemed production ready. Now, when the kit was installed on a well modified car -- like my Formula -- my fuel system really isn't even up to the task of what's on the car already, so when the kit activates the initial hit is a bit more dramatic. The accumulator solves this problem, as would switching to a fuel system with a regulator at the rail.

The NXL kit itself has been used for quite a long time on Hondas, without any initial hesitation... Why? Because their regulator is on the rail. The "problem" with this kit really isn't with the kit at all -- it's the fact the LS1 has the pressure regulator so far away from the rails, so any sudden demand will cause the rail pressure to drop. Hook a fuel pressure gauge to an LS1 with any wet kit, and you'll see the pressure drops on activation.

As for actually testing the accumulator, I'm not saying anything -- but I know it works
NOTHING in your post is valid. The 97/98 Y-Bodies and 97,98,99 F-Bodies have adjustable fuel pressure regulators and return fuel lines mounted on the rail. Prior to purchasing the NXL I asked NX if it would work on the early model LS1 they responded that it would connect to any LS1. After I recieved the kit and saw that it would require adding an after market regulator and fuel return lines I again called NX and they did not have a clue what I was talking about and asked me to E-Mail them pictures. So much for their R&D on "ALL" LS1s. I installed the system with the regulator and return fuel additions on my 97/A4 Vett and this is differance between it and the NX EFI system. 1/8th mile run with NX 100 EFI/120 NXL 60' 1.565/1.798 1/8 6.983/7.874. 1/4 mile run with NX 150 EFI/180 NXL 60' 1.448/1.701 1/4 10.738/11.764. The fuel pressure drops at the in car guage on the NXL 180 over 30PSI at launch, there is no detectable movment on the NX 150 EFI system. On the dyno the a/f lean spike is off the chart. THIS SYSTEM IS DEFECTIVE NX knows it and their dealers know it thus the accumulator "fix". Yet they continue to market this piece of crap on an uninformed puplic while they develope the "fix" at their leisure. As far as comparing any extensive testing NX may or may not have done on a Honda is absurd.The only thing they have in common is they are both internal cumbustion engines.

Last edited by bobcbp; 02-08-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobcbp
NOTHING in your post is valid. The 97/98 Y-Bodies and 97,98,99 F-Bodies have adjustable fuel pressure regulators and return fuel lines mounted on the rail.
Oh boy, you expect us to believe the rest of your post when you're trying to tell us that we have adjustable regulators and return lines at the rail? I'll GIVE you my car if you can find a return line at the rail
Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy, you expect us to believe the rest of your post when you're trying to tell us that we have adjustable regulators and return lines at the rail? I'll GIVE you my car if you can find a return line at the rail
I will give you my car too...

98-02 F-cars, have 1 fuel line that goes to the rail.

They run a T in the back, and the return line, and regulator are all mounted behind the back seats, either at or in the tank.

98-02 f-cars, do have the round pulse dampener on the rail crossover tube, but only 1 line, and no return.

The 97 vette, DOES have a return line.

Ryan.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I stand corrected as I do not KNOW (nor do I really care)what the F-Body fuel rail has. I only "know" what the 97/98 Vett's have and I was "told" that the F-Body was the same thru 99. The POINT of the post how ever is that a regulator on the rail would fix (I guess to some degree) the defect and it will NOT. If it could NX would NOT expend ANY time or resourses on developing a fix for the defect that they intend to "ship as a part of all NXL kits there after". The rest of us who already own this defective unit (or any one silly enough to buy one before the "fix") will be "allowed to purchase the "fix" At NX's cost of course
Old 02-08-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

The POINT of the post how ever is that a regulator on the rail would fix (I guess to some degree) the defect and it will NOT. If it could NX would NOT expend ANY time or resourses on developing a fix for the defect
So, you think that if the regulator at the rail would fix it that they wouldn't bother investing in a fix for the LS1 system? Sorry, that would require EVERY F-BODY owner to completely re-do their fuel system to just work with this kit if they wanted to run it, which there's no way in hell that would happen.... so, I don't follow your logic there.

Anyway, I also was one of the first to purchase this kit, and I really haven't run it knowing that it has this issue and I've just been waiting to get this fuel resevoir before I bother to run it. Yeah it sucks, yeah they should have tested it on more modified F-bodies.... but what are you going to do. The only other option would be the NOS noszle, but this system is so much cleaner and easier to set up. I don't really care anyway, as soon as I put this thing on the car it dumped some snow and it's been snowing since so I can't drive it anyway. Atleast this didn't happen in the summer!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates guys?
Old 02-10-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't get any dates when I inquired, but I would bet it'll take a while to get through production and be ready to ship.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, without a doubt, 100% this is a fix? It will solve low torque numbers and the hesitation? If not, there will be a lot of unhappy nx customers!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Default NXL Fix

I'm not as concerned if it will work as I am that I'll be too old to drive when they get around to shipping. They claimed that they were shipping "next month" at the SEMA show in Nov. This is the same thing they did with the NXL system itself it was one year of "next months".
Old 02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not as concerned if it will work as I am that I'll be too old to drive when they get around to shipping. They claimed that they were shipping "next month" at the SEMA show in Nov. This is the same thing they did with the NXL system itself it was one year of "next months".
Yeah......... all I can say is there better not be a full year of "next months" this time... I'd sure like to have this thing some time in the very near future as many of us would.

Hey Brains, if you can, let us know when this thing will ship.....
Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll see if I can get an update..
Old 02-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Restricted User

bobcbp- Sorry to hear you had such a low run time with the NXL over the Wet kit. I think I was one of the first to run this kit, and I ran it back to back with my old wet kit. Results, I wasnt off at all. The times were nearly identical to the .001 and mph was dead on. Now, if the fuel dump wasnt a problem, I can only imagine that I would have made that extra 30hp (150 wet to the 180 NXL) difference. I tried this more than once too, same results everytime. The NXL can be safely run, and used, yeah it has an initial hesitation, more so with the 180jets than the smaller shots. But, it is clean system and can be run off a separate fuel cell if you like, take a little time, engineering and stuff, but it can work. Now there are some Nozzle users reporting the same thing when used with the stock fuel system rather than a cell.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

TTT. Any update on this "reservoir" ?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The have left the manufacturing stage of the machine shop, and are currently being anodized. After that, they go back to the machine shop to be assembled, pressure tested, etc, then to NX to be packaged along with hoses needed etc, then to us. Getting closer. We will also see a thread from NX outlining everything when its done, as far as cost (if any), expected time frame, etc.

Seems like they are taking the necessary measures to provide us with a good solution.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, any updates? Are we going to be taken care of from NX