Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What AFR's are you guys seeing with pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camscam02
go two atleast.
change jets or make changes in the tune? i am just about to start on my nitrous tune and am trying to learn.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slayer performance
change jets or make changes in the tune? i am just about to start on my nitrous tune and am trying to learn.
For him I was suggesting go down 2 jet sizes on the fuel side
Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Launching!

didn't know if that was a general statement about harris kits or not. thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
There are many different opinions on what is the best airfuel. This is my opinion.

For an average street/strip car the ownder will never re look at the tune up nor pull plugs. For this type of application we tune the nitrous in at no leaner than 11.8 and no richer than 11.5. This is a great over all area that will make good safe power.

For a race application I am a firm believer in the fact there is no set airfuel to target. There is a starting point and a finishing point. This is how we do it.. Keep in mind we are constantlyt pulling plugs and watching our tune up.

We start off with a target airfuel on the wideband of around 12.0. Reading the plugs we take the tune up two ways.. Once the plug is clean, and the heat range and timing is where we want it we give it more fuel. If the car gets faster we give it more fuel again. We follow this path until the car slows down. Then we back it up to where it was happy. Now if in the begining we give it fuel and it does not like it we go the oposite direction. We take fuel out. We will only take out fuel to a certain point and we justify that point by reading the plug. We do it this way because its safer to give it alittle fuel to find its happy point than to go lean and burn it because we went the wrong way.

I am a firm believer in the fact that if you run your application extremely lean for every ounce of power it is harder on parts and over a period of time it takes its course on parts and they break.

The spark plug tells all but the wide band is a great tool to use and we use it on every one of our cars.
I agree with w3s1c0a5t that this post deserves to be a sticky or something.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slayer performance
didn't know if that was a general statement about harris kits or not. thanks
more then likely that is where most people will end up if they end up caring about the tuneup and verifying with plugs. All cases are different though
Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
For him I was suggesting go down 2 jet sizes on the fuel side
If your plugs are not clean then do like Cam said and go 2 sizes at a time until they get clean then maybe 1 size at a time to get it perfect. He suggested the same thing for me and I didn't listen and only did 1 size at a time. Just wasted gas and nitrous making a pass because the plugs looked the same. You got to think how small of a difference the orifice size is from 33 to 32, not much...
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tune for 12.8 for both N/A and N20. Read plugs for timing and watch for detonation.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine is between 11.8-11.5

Quick Reply: What AFR's are you guys seeing with pump gas?