Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up switch panel...question with wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up switch panel...question with wiring.

I looked on the sticky and found a pic on the first page of a switch panel where they Y'ed the switches together instead of wiring each one independently. I can see where they are Y'ed together for both the ACC power and the ground, but I cant find where they put the keyed 12v source. My real question is if I run jumpers(Y together)the switches, will one switch work without the other being on since they are wired together instead of independently, or will I have to arm the nitrous just to turn on the bottle heater?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

No, the 12v source just provides a constant flow of power (when the ignition is on). Splicing two switches from the same source will still allow each switch to work independently of the other. But you may want to use a Constant power source for you heater, instead of an iginition power source, so that you can run you heater with the car off. That is how i have mine, but you have to watch it, 1. Dont let it get too hot 2. it will drain your battery as much as leaving the headlights on.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just followed the instructions for the heater. That would be cool, I just would probably forget about it. I wired my switches a little different. I jumped a wire from the heater switch to the arming switch, then to a ground. Then the same thing again but for a keyed 12v source. But each one has its own ACC power. The switch panel in the above pic has a hot wire, a ground, and a purge wire. But I'm not seeing anything for keyed 12v power or a wire for ACC power from the bottle heater. How does this work? Sorry if this is to confusing, or if I'm not explaining this correct.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

In the pic, the left switch has the main power source, then the right switch is "jumped" off of it, then the purge button is "jumped" again off the right switch. and Same with the blue wire (which would be the ground), between the left and right switches. the middle prong on each switch would go the whatever that switch is powering. The power source wire, can come from a constant 12v source OR an ignition/ACC source. Not sure I understand you.... why do you need Two power sources for each switch???
Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
In the pic, the left switch has the main power source, then the right switch is "jumped" off of it, then the purge button is "jumped" again off the right switch. and Same with the blue wire (which would be the ground), between the left and right switches. the middle prong on each switch would go the whatever that switch is powering. The power source wire, can come from a constant 12v source OR an ignition/ACC source. Not sure I understand you.... why do you need Two power sources for each switch???
I dont think I was explaining it right. Is ACC power the same as keyed 12v power? I have a wire coming up from my bottle heater to the heater switch. Then a wire from my nitrous relay to my arming switch. Then I jumped a wire for my keyed 12v power(ACC power)from my arming switch to the heater switch, and then I jumped the ground wire from the heater switch to the arming switch. I didnt see a middle prong on the switches in the picture. So Thats probably why I got confused
Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by second_2_none
I looked on the sticky and found a pic on the first page of a switch panel where they Y'ed the switches together instead of wiring each one independently. I can see where they are Y'ed together for both the ACC power and the ground, but I cant find where they put the keyed 12v source. My real question is if I run jumpers(Y together)the switches, will one switch work without the other being on since they are wired together instead of independently, or will I have to arm the nitrous just to turn on the bottle heater?
No it will be a hot no matter the position of the other switches. If you want to piggy back switches you'd have to pull the 12+ for the second switch off of the terminal sending out signal when armed.

Nick
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a better pic...on a better panel...I still have that one in the first thread

The middle lug on each individual switch is what goes directly to the accessory you want to run.
The red is of course your Hot "Switched" Source, and Black is your ground. Most of the switches are low amp control power providing your using relays for the heater and the noids.

Last edited by Beer99C5; 05-17-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Here's a better pic...on a better panel...I still have that one in the first thread

The middle lug on each individual switch is what goes directly to the accessory you want to run.
The red is of course your Hot "Switched" Source, and Black is your ground. Most of the switches are low amp control power providing your using relays for the heater and the noids.
Ok awesome, Thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would see this and explain better. Thanks for the better pic. So I will be able to use each switch independently correct? What about the purge, will I have to have the system armed to purge or can I purge whenever? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to nitrous and all this electrical stuff.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

You will be able to use any switch independently of the others. The purge switch being two prong just have the hot wire going to it, and the the other going to the purge Noid, it will get its ground from the other noid wire (unless you use a relay for the purge then it goes to the relay). You will be able to purge independently as well. Think of it just like your house outlets, even though a bunch dont have anything plugged into it, you can use the one in the other room independently of the others .

Quick Reply: Hooking up switch panel...question with wiring.