Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What caused my plug to look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys,here is a update...

I just pulled that plug again. Its burning like it should. nice and clean like the ones I have in the pics above...so I dont believe I have a valve seal/ring issue...not a single drop of oil or brown porcelain. The other night I was out doing some N/A pulls with my buddys 94 383 stroker...if I had a valve/ring issue, there would be something on the plug.

however, There was a good amount of oil on the spark plug threads....Most of the oil, was at the very top of the threads...The driver side plug #7 also had oil on the threads...these are the only two that do this.

valve cover gasket?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Could be a valve cover leaking,also with you running a hotter plug now it might be burning the oil better so you dont see it on the plug.with the #7 plugs they are alot colder plug.Hope its just valvecover,also how much oil are you losing?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTENESS
Could be a valve cover leaking,also with you running a hotter plug now it might be burning the oil better so you dont see it on the plug.with the #7 plugs they are alot colder plug.Hope its just valvecover,also how much oil are you losing?
well, the car has always burned oil sense my cam/ported ls6 oil pump/valve train install. I still have the stock PCV setup on the car.

The car seems to lose about half a quart every 1k or so. I drive the ***** off my car tho always doing WOT runs.

one night, a few weeks ago I went through a full bottle (100 shot) doing pulls with locals lol...
Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

it also can mean that you are running richer on that one cylinder, which than means you have a leaking injector (floodng cylinder) and/or bad coil (not producing strong spark to burn fuel efficiently). Or....what was stated above. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808z28camaro
it also can mean that you are running richer on that one cylinder, which than means you have a leaking injector (floodng cylinder) and/or bad coil (not producing strong spark to burn fuel efficiently). Or....what was stated above. Hope this helps.
Best advice on this whole thread.That injector could also just flow better than the rest. Could very well be some poor ring control on that cylinder only. Nitrous can cause some high crankcase pressures also and that could put oil in through the pcv system but your catch can should take care of most of that. As for the oil on the threads i've had 4 or 5 differ'nt motors over the last 10 years and they all do that. I haven't figured it out either. I wouldn't worry about that plug at all as long as it doesn't get any worse.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

all the plugs are burning great/the same now. I think That one might have fouled during my dyno tune with the bottle sense I was having a fuel solonoid issue and I was unaware of that plug going bad and driving it for who knows how long.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
8 Second Club

do u have a catch can?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
do u have a catch can?
I do now. I have the air compressor air/water seperator setup.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Launching!

Did'nt think there was anything wrong till I saw this thread.

All eight look like this.

Originally Posted by 808z28camaro
Ever come back to the island bra? Always hear Rex and the boys talking bout you. Good things ofcourse! Haha... Hows the track over there?

Quick Reply: What caused my plug to look like this?