Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

direct or MAF kit on Fast 90/90?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default direct or MAF kit on Fast 90/90?

I was told that you can not run a MAF kit on the FAST because the front two ports pull a lot of the shot and will unbalance and lean the cylinders out.
Anyone have opinions or facts on this comment?

I have a Nitrous Express MAF kit. I ran a 125 shot on my stock engine and
never had a problem w/it. Now, I have the engine in the sig and I want to put the same kit on, but don't plan to go over a 150 shot.

Will it work?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

When you installed your FAST intake, did you keep the coolant crossover tubes installed or did you install blockoffs in the back? I'm asking because the issue doesn't seem so much to be lean/rich, just hot. The concensus now is that the back cylinders are hotter due to stagnant flow spots in the coolant from the back coolant ports blocked off.
I blocked them off when I first installed my FAST 90/90. I currently have the intake pulled, reinstalling some cooling lines.
I would think the maf kit would be fine, comparable to a TB plate kit.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

You will not have any issues with our maf setup. That is in my opinion the best setup you can run. It is the super clean and it injects the nitrous as far forward as possible on a MAF car running a wet kit. When I put nitrous on my personal car again it will it will be a MAF setup.

But if your wanting the look of a direct port or going to consider a big enough shot We have a great special going on right now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...installed.html
Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At a 150 hp the maff kit will work just fine. If you have an upgraded mass air meter to match the larger throttle body and have the ls1 2 piece style unit it will not work. You will have to go back to your old mass air meter.

The maff kit is nothing more than a clean dual nozzle set up. So its basically like taking a dual nozzle kit and plumbing them into the bellows. The mass air replacement ends use the same discharge design as the NX shark nozzles. However the maff kit looks cleaner than dual nozzles in my opinion.

Back in the day before we released our LSX and LTX injection plates we installed and tuned alot of cars with the maff kit. At your power level it will work just fine. If you have an upgraded maff and dont want to step backwards get our Nitrous plate.

I would not go directport at your power level. Instead I would take the money saved and put it towards something else.

Dave
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go direct port all the way........
Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
When you installed your FAST intake, did you keep the coolant crossover tubes installed or did you install blockoffs in the back?
I've got an LS3 block. I only remember the front crossover. I forget what I did with it, but I get your point on the cooling. The guy I spoke to owns a tuning shop and absolutely was against the MAF kit due to one of his cars melting down an engine. I'm not so sure he didn't have a tuning issue though.

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
You will not have any issues with our maf setup. That is in my opinion the best setup you can run. It is the super clean and it injects the nitrous as far forward as possible on a MAF car running a wet kit. When I put nitrous on my personal car again it will it will be a MAF setup.

But if your wanting the look of a direct port or going to consider a big enough shot We have a great special going on right now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...installed.html
Just don't want the concentrated part of the shot to end up in the front two cylinders, ie lean them out or imbalance engine. I really like the NX Express MAF kit. I come from running a Compucar kit way back in the early 90's. I had a nozzle drilled in the intake tube. It actually worked pretty good but the kit's quality wasn't real good. I used a 225 shot on that kit many times with no problems and it was far from efficient and was not direct port. Here is a pic of my Compucar kit for fun:

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
At a 150 hp the maff kit will work just fine. If you have an upgraded mass air meter to match the larger throttle body and have the ls1 2 piece style unit it will not work. You will have to go back to your old mass air meter.

I would not go directport at your power level. Instead I would take the money asaved and put it towards something else.

Dave
My problem is I will run out of gear at around 141mph. I will probably have to get more tire. My car is already low 130s so I'm a bit limited. I figure a 125 shot is good for about 10-11mph, at least that is what it did before. BUT, I lost the 125 jets, so looks like 100 or 150.

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
Go direct port all the way........
My thing is that the direct port will disperse things equally, but the previous posters are saying its all good w/the MAF kit. I like the idea of a direct port for safety. Since I have the rest of the system, might be nice to just p/u the direct port parts for the intake. Every time I try and save money it costs me three times as much later.

Last edited by 03EBZ06; 07-26-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just stick with the MAF kit and put the rest of the money in some traction/suspension aides. 131mph is impressive, but the low 11 is kinda slow for your set up. get that thing to hook and your looking at low 10's na!

Quick Reply: direct or MAF kit on Fast 90/90?