Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need to Purge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to Purge?

My NX Wet kit didn't come with a purge noid and I see a lot of others that don't as well.

Is it just something to keep the kit price down and force you to buy one separate or can you run without it?

If I don't need it I'd rather not advertise with a big purge plume.

The stickie at the top has this:

What is a Purge Valve?
This comes up alot, especially with the newer nitrous junkies. Purge is probably the most un-necessary part of a nitrous system. Its more useful in a Wet application so the fuel and nitrous get to the nozzle at the same time, but its still not mandatory unless youre running a large shot or need that extra .01 sec. All a Purge does is clear the air between the bottle and the solenoids. That being said, its best to put the Purge solenoid as close to the nitrous solenoid as possable to get rid of as much air as you can. But at 1200psi, the nitrous isnt moving that slow, so its not going to take long to clear that air on it's own anyway. If you havent purchased one, dont yet. Add this last to your kit and get something more useful now like a warmer or a window switch. If you already have one or nobody can talk you out of it, dont overuse it. Nothing will make you look like a ricer faster then someone who purges whenever they pull up somewhere. Thats like taking a gallon of your gas and pouring it on the ground. At ~$2.00/lb, nitrous isnt cheap. Why waste it? The ONLY time you should need to purge is right before staging at the strip. A couple short bursts is all it takes. Once you see the white gas come out, thats enough. Purging more then that is the equivalent to doing a John Force burnout on BFGs. And PLEASE PLEASE DONT buy the bottle and a purge valve only. I was flipping through 5.0 Mustang mag this week and saw an advertisment for a kit (NX I believe) that was just a bottle and a purge valve... :dance:

Thanks

Sarge

Last edited by SargeZ06; 07-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

You can run without a purge.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just purge threw the motor during the burn out. All you got to do is hit full throttle for a few seconds during the burnout to fill the lines.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Eh I just went ahead and bought purge kit. There is enough going on in the car with it being a stick car.

Another question: Is that little screen filter in the kit any good or should I get an inline filter?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

An inline filter would be better. The screen is only there to catch the big debris.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

IMO I think its good on the higher hp kits like over 200, but I have honestly seen guys spraying 400hp and not using a purge. After their burnouts they just hit the button and rev their cars up. I like the idea of purging to make sure nothing will leak into your motor after your run and when unhooking your lines.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Teching In

I have a follow up questions to this. If you don't use the purge kit, once you used your nitrous on the runs down the track and are going home already closed the bottle and stuff, what happens to the nitrous that is in the line, how do you remove it or what not? I assume it can't be good if you are going to the track once a month or so and just leaving that fuel in the lines.

Sorry if this is a dumb question as I read the sticky for nitrous but that was not really answered.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edk15
I have a follow up questions to this. If you don't use the purge kit, once you used your nitrous on the runs down the track and are going home already closed the bottle and stuff, what happens to the nitrous that is in the line, how do you remove it or what not? I assume it can't be good if you are going to the track once a month or so and just leaving that fuel in the lines.

Sorry if this is a dumb question as I read the sticky for nitrous but that was not really answered.
Purge only purges the nitrous not the fuel side. SO youll be leaving constant pressure on your nitrous solenoid until it slowly dwindles down pressure wise. SOme poeple may crack the line to the solenoid to purge the line manually. I wouldnt know because a purge kit can be had for under 100 bucks.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Just crack the line, and the pressure will drop. I don't leave my bottle in my car, unless I know for a fact Im going to use it. Too much can happen.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

A purge kit is not something you have to have however I would not ever go with out one.

With out a purge you will have air in the main feed line all the way up to the solenoid. This air will cause a delay in responce time. If you have a wet system the fuel will be there before the nitrous creating a bog and stumble.

With the purge you can make sure the liquid nitrous is all the way up to the solenoid improving 60ft times and the sudden responce when the system activates.

Not only does a purge improve the performance it can also be used to purge down the bottle pressure in the event the pressure is to high. For instance our purge solenoids are rated to open at 1300 psi. There is no reason to have your bottle pressure over 1050 so in the event the outside temperature has your bottle pressure at something like 1200 psi you could purge the pressure down..

Our Nitrous Outlet purge kit is only 99.99 and it comes with a 3ft rolled aluminim purge tube. ON SALE 89.99
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...2&product=2184

Our brand X purge kit is only 65.99 and on SALE for 59.39

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...2&product=2890

Either one of these will work great with the system you have and even if you are on a budget right now why not add a purge for how affordable these our.

Dave
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

So it's more like a luxury? Put it up there along with bottle heaters?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

No a remote bottle is a luxury. Its more of a accessory to get the most performance out of the system.

Quick Reply: Do you need to Purge?