Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to add a little nitrous off the line

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to add a little nitrous off the line

I have a turboed T/A, its nothing special outside of boost so the quicker I can get it there the better. I have a stock shortblock w/ 40k miles on it, 317s heads, ls6 yellows and hardened pushrods and put down about 500whp @8psi. Im toying around with the idea of throwing on a 50-100 shot off the line when I go to the track to help me out a bit.

Heres the deal, I dont know much about nitrous but the little Ive picked up in the past week or so. Im pretty sure I want a wet shot, and a plate setup but Im open to ideas. I keep seeing systems up for sale in the classifieds but I dont know exactly what Im looking for. Thanks guys.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have done a bunch of boosted, nitrous feed applications. Keep in mind that cooling the intake charge will make a huge difference all in its self. Going with a wet system will make for easy tuning and you will not have to worry about the injectors. Make sure you have enough fuel pump to support the extra power. A nozzle or plate will work just fine. (the right plate) The plate will give a custom fit over a universal looking fit. You do have to keep in mind that the plate will move the throttle body forward so check the pipeing and make sure you have room. You may have to trim the tubing if not.

What software are you tuning with?

Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to bump this for XD...I know he's using HPTuners for software.

Also curious as to why you're opting for wet vs dry? Not saying one is better, just wanting to get your thoughts. Seems like the fuel system you have in place (pump, 60lb injectors) for the turbo application would support a dry system well.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

I would think that going dry would lean out the motor momentarily before the computer see's the extra air intake and cooler air intake temperatures. I personally wouldnt wnat to risk leaning a boosted motor to much before the computer see's and corrects for it.

On another note Locally there is a s/c tundra pushing 8psi which he is tuned for and he is spraying a dry 80 shot that he is untuned for.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
Going to bump this for XD...I know he's using HPTuners for software.

Also curious as to why you're opting for wet vs dry? Not saying one is better, just wanting to get your thoughts. Seems like the fuel system you have in place (pump, 60lb injectors) for the turbo application would support a dry system well.
On the wet kit you can tune it ALOT easier. That's why I've already made my ND plate kit go 9.888 at 136 so far on 6 passes and 3 spray passes. I did my motor tune. Now I just change my fuel jet to adjust my afr. Right now I'm down 2 sizes and going to try a third.

Get a wet kit and you'll never regret it. Because if that dry shot isn't tuned spot on. It could very easily go Boom.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, I didnt realize all the locals hung out in the NO section. haha

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
We have done a bunch of boosted, nitrous feed applications. Keep in mind that cooling the intake charge will make a huge difference all in its self. Going with a wet system will make for easy tuning and you will not have to worry about the injectors. Make sure you have enough fuel pump to support the extra power. A nozzle or plate will work just fine. (the right plate) The plate will give a custom fit over a universal looking fit. You do have to keep in mind that the plate will move the throttle body forward so check the pipeing and make sure you have room. You may have to trim the tubing if not.

What software are you tuning with?

Dave
Im using HP Tuners and I run 2 walbros so fuel shouldnt be an issue. Id like to set it up to spray off the line and also after my 1-2 shift since that is where I drop out of boost the hardest.

Ive been looking at kits and most of them come with a minimum of 100 shot jets. Is that too much? Would I be able to modify this down to a 50?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Yep were all here.
Just get the jet chart and buy just the jets for how much you want to spray and get a few smaller and larger fuel jets for tuning with and your good to go. That's what I'm doing since my blackbird only had the 150 shot jets in it.

Quick Reply: Looking to add a little nitrous off the line