Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final parts needed, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010 | 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Final parts needed, questions.

Alright so with the sale going on, I'm thinking of punishing the credit card and finally getting all the parts I've wanted and finally install this Nitrous Outlet plate kit that has been sitting on my shelf for two years!

What size is the feed line on this kit, so I can order the right filter?
I have the FJO mini, from when I bought the kit about two years ago. I want to run the Dynotune A/F shutoff switch. What is the most affordable wideband that works well that I can run with that? Will these work with the FJO mini, or does the switch run independent of the controller anyway? I understand newer controllers will have that function(A/F shutoff) without the separate switch, but I already have the FJO mini.

Nitrous Outlet, do you guys have an A/F safety switch yet?

How has the Dynotune A/F switch been working for people?

Looks like I can use the nice Nitrous Outlet solenoid bracket, but the strut tower brace will be in the way, so I won't order the nice hard lines.

Is there anyway to have the timing pulled on a LT1 when I activate the nitrous? Or am I going to end up with a nitrous tune and then be low on power off the bottle?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really have no idea what wideband would work best for me or the dynotune switch, or opinions on the dynotune A/F switch.

Thanks! -Corey
Old 08-03-2010 | 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Corey,

If you have the LT1 plate system it comes with a 4 an main feed line.

I use the FJO wideband on my car however the innovate is real cost affective and popular. The wideband will wire independant of the controller.

We do not have a A/F safety switch. The Dynotune unit is a good unit. Just make sure it is hooked to the wideband sensor and not the narrow band.

The strut tower brace should not be a problem with the solenoid bracket. Atleast it was not on Kyles car.

For the ability to run max N/A timing and pull the timing when the system is activated get the mallory 685 ignition. It will pull the timing when the system activates and increase your ignition spark.

Let me know any other questions you have.
Dave
Old 08-03-2010 | 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

A MSD digital 6 is another choice for a ignition box. I would just ditch the STB all together.
Old 08-03-2010 | 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Alright, glad to hear I have options with the timing! Are there any reliability differences between the Digital 6 and the Mallory 685? A friend years ago had a MSD digital 6 burn up, granted I do not know the circumstances surrounding the incident. Just looked them up, seems there is no price difference between the two units.

Yeah I don't see the STB being in the way for the bracket, but it does look like I can't use the nice hard lines you offer. I can use the bracket and the flexible lines that came with the kit right? Might be a weird question I suppose, but want to make sure.
Thanks Dave!

AC you spray yours yet? How did you mount your bottle and the NANO? I've got the bottle mounted with the 860 wheel well mount, thinking I'm going to put the NANO bottle in that well in the back as I don't have Ttops.
Old 08-03-2010 | 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

I have heard from a feew people the Mallory box is less reliable. I believe Larry @ Speedinc went through 2 and a a couple of customer cars had issues with them. Thats why I went MSD dig 6.
No I have not sprayed it yet, still waiting on the blow down and want to get it on the dyno for tuning. Heres how I mounted my stuff.

Old 08-03-2010 | 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice! I hadn't seen anyone mount them like that in the mounting thread.

I have a feeling that the MSD vs. Mallory is going to have stories from both sides!
Old 08-03-2010 | 01:48 PM
hashtagBMW

I have the MSD Digi 6, only because I bought it used. The difference between them is the mallory is adjusted with a digital readout on the front and the MSD is turn style ***** on the side.

Tony.
Old 08-03-2010 | 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Nice! I hadn't seen anyone mount them like that in the mounting thread.

I have a feeling that the MSD vs. Mallory is going to have stories from both sides!
I couldnt get the 15# bottle w nano in the spare tire well and it was to long to mount between the seats. So I came up with this and really like it.

I 100% agree about the boxes. It will be a LE vs AI type debate lol.
Old 08-03-2010 | 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

The only complaint I have with the Digital 6 is that you can only pull 9 degrees out. That MSD digital is what Kyle has in his car and we neded up having to take 2 degrees out of his N/A tune to get the timing where it needed to be.

I can not remember how many degrees the mallory will pull.
Dave
Old 08-03-2010 | 04:20 PM
hashtagBMW

Most boxes are right around -/+ 10* though.
Old 08-03-2010 | 09:25 PM
Banned

yes I had 2 685 fail on my car and 1 on a customers car within a short period of time. I do believe this box you can pull up to 15 degree's v's the 9.9 on the Digital 6. The 685 was nice having the window switch and retard in 1.

I since have a 6A and Nitrous Outlet progressive controller. The car still has a 4L60E, so I needed a tune for shift points and decided to just doing timing as well via the ECU.

I think Carlos a.k.a Snakekilla has a Digital 6 for sale.
Old 08-03-2010 | 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Larry thats not good. What did mallory say about the issues?
Dave
Old 08-05-2010 | 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I shouldn't ever need to pull more than 10 degrees out, I hope! Starting to sound like the Digital 6 is more reliable.

Are there any shops in FL that will be able to tune my nitrous setup? I suppose I'll ask in the FL section once I get this all done anyway, but curious from the nitrous section if there are any recommendations?
Old 08-05-2010 | 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

msd has had its fair share of problems aswell. I have seen two digital 6 boxes go bad within a relatively short period of time... its a quality control thing that plagues about everything in aftermarket nowdays.
Old 08-05-2010 | 01:12 PM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
msd has had its fair share of problems aswell. I have seen two digital 6 boxes go bad within a relatively short period of time... its a quality control thing that plagues about everything in aftermarket nowdays.
Very true.

Corey, you should be able to find a tuner pretty easily in FL.