Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about running nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking about running nitrous

Okay guy i have a few questions about running nitrous.

first off i have a 95 z28 camaro with 105k miles.

i was thinking of rebuilding the motor and throwing some forged pistons and rods in along with Lloyd Elliots LE1 heads and a medium sized cam.
With this setup i am hoping for around 350-375hp.
then i want to put on a 125 shot.

my questions are. will the nitrous hurt the motor if it is tuned for the heads/cam.
and vice versa will i be able to run the car on motor only if i tune it with the nitrous.

this is my daily driver so i need this to be a safe setup on both motor and nitrous.

thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

You will be fine with that size shot. If your not going to use anything bigger than a 125 shot maybe look at a nice dry kit. Very safe. My car was a daily driver and i had a dry shot on it for about 6 years with never 1 problem. I would talk to nick or matt at harris speed works. Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dry or wet makes the kit no safer than the other. The wet gives you more tuneability to tune the kit yourself. The dry you would have to run with the interface from HSW.

To have the best of both worlds on your tune for the motor then spraying it, get a timing tuner to back the timing down when you spray and then when you are on the motor you have the timing back at the motor timing. The timing tuner will only activate when you hit the spray. Make sure you pull out about 6 degrees of timing on that shot to be safe and then once you learn more about tuning put the timing back in if it is needed.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Dry or wet makes the kit no safer than the other. The wet gives you more tuneability to tune the kit yourself. The dry you would have to run with the interface from HSW.

To have the best of both worlds on your tune for the motor then spraying it, get a timing tuner to back the timing down when you spray and then when you are on the motor you have the timing back at the motor timing. The timing tuner will only activate when you hit the spray. Make sure you pull out about 6 degrees of timing on that shot to be safe and then once you learn more about tuning put the timing back in if it is needed.
This is a great answer to your questions
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
Okay guy i have a few questions about running nitrous.

first off i have a 95 z28 camaro with 105k miles.

i was thinking of rebuilding the motor and throwing some forged pistons and rods in along with Lloyd Elliots LE1 heads and a medium sized cam.
With this setup i am hoping for around 350-375hp.
then i want to put on a 125 shot.

my questions are. will the nitrous hurt the motor if it is tuned for the heads/cam.
and vice versa will i be able to run the car on motor only if i tune it with the nitrous.

this is my daily driver so i need this to be a safe setup on both motor and nitrous.

thanks in advance
If you tune the car for Heads/Cam i assume you will advance the timing and if you do advance the timing then you wont be ok to spray nitrous on the n/a tune. With nitrous the general rule is you pull 2* of timing per every 50hp. To get the best of both worlds ( Meaning max hp/ timing N/A and max hp on nitorus ) you will need to get a box or device that will allow you to pull timing when the nitorus is active so you can run the timing maxed out on N/A and when the nitorus is activated it pull the appropriate amount of timing out to be safe.