Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people are using the HSW MicroEdge w/ a narrow band o2 for A/F shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people are using the HSW MicroEdge w/ a narrow band o2 for A/F shut down?

I like this added feature of the HSW MicroSwitch, but was curious how it worked in practice. I've usually had innovate wideband setups on my cars, but I'd prefer to not buy and install one if I don't have to. Will running the a/f shut off from the stock narrow band help protect the car? What's the largest drawback of using the narrowband vs. wideband?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Teching In

i think a narrowband only shows you the voltage not the 14.7...... like the wideband but i may be wrong. i would get (i plan on getting one when i start to spray) you can never be to safe.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieg
i think a narrowband only shows you the voltage not the 14.7...... like the wideband but i may be wrong. i would get (i plan on getting one when i start to spray) you can never be to safe.

yea, as far as getting a readout for you to track a/f while driving, a wideband is superior, I just meant in the context of the a/f shut off switch.

Like say you have between .1 and 20.0 in a wideband and you select any value in that range for your A/F shutoff for the nitrous... what's the difference between that and picking like .35 volts or something or whatever the equivalant is on a narrow band?

Does the narrow band just not allow as fine a setting as the wideband? If so, what increments does it go in? Like full points (12.0, 13.0, ect) or wider?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

here is dyno tune's a/f lean shut down switch.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=67

and here its there instruction im sure they are really similar in the way they work.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...N%20SWITCH.pdf
Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieg
here is dyno tune's a/f lean shut down switch.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=67

and here its there instruction im sure they are really similar in the way they work.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...N%20SWITCH.pdf
Perfect! Thanks man!

For narrow band o2 sensors it will display in Volts. If running a narrow band o2 sensor, use
.80v as an initial setting. .50v is 14.7:1 A/F so .80 is a good starting point. At some point you
could set this to .99V to make sure you’re A/F switch is working…Any reading lower(leaner)
than your trip point, in this case .99 would shut down the nitrous. Normal engines will have
about a .80-.95 reading while using Nitrous.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

no problem. i learned something new too when i read that lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I like this added feature of the HSW MicroSwitch, but was curious how it worked in practice. I've usually had innovate wideband setups on my cars, but I'd prefer to not buy and install one if I don't have to. Will running the a/f shut off from the stock narrow band help protect the car? What's the largest drawback of using the narrowband vs. wideband?
We have plenty of customers that use the narrowband feature. Obviously the biggest drawback is going to be accuracy...the narrowband simply isn't nearly as accurate as the wideband. The narrowband displays in mV rather than a ratio. If you take a look in our installation manual we provide a chart to roughly translate voltage to ratio. It's pretty simple to use.

Nick
Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
We have plenty of customers that use the narrowband feature. Obviously the biggest drawback is going to be accuracy...the narrowband simply isn't nearly as accurate as the wideband. The narrowband displays in mV rather than a ratio. If you take a look in our installation manual we provide a chart to roughly translate voltage to ratio. It's pretty simple to use.

Nick
Sounds good, I found the PDF, lots of great info out there

So regarding the accuracy, lets say I run my '09 LS3 vette at ~12.1 a/f. Would I be able to set the MicroEdge for .750mV to shut off the nitrous at ~13.0? Would it vary enough to give me false shut downs and also let me run too lean (over ~13.5:1) before shutting down?

The NGK AFX Powerdex kit isn't THAT expensive if it's a far superior option to use a wideband.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there any harness like this that would work on an '09 LS3?

It just lists through '07 on the site:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Caspers+Electr...09049/10002/-1
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why even spend your money and time if you are not getting accurate results? Kind of defeats the porpus doesnt it?

A lean cut out is ok but if your going to do it provide it accurate data. Hook it to a wideband sensor.
Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Why even spend your money and time if you are not getting accurate results? Kind of defeats the porpus doesnt it?

A lean cut out is ok but if your going to do it provide it accurate data. Hook it to a wideband sensor.
Dave
It's a bonus feature on a controller I'm already going to use for my WOT, RPM and gear shut off... it'd be pretty easy to clip in one of those harness things I posted above and hook up an extra wire to get some kind of A/F reading for a shut off.

I just don't want to have it be so inaccurate that it becomes a pain in the *** vs. an extra level of protection.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats the issue. Its not accurate. Its a false since of security with out the wideband. I dont think it will hurt anything hooking it up since you have it.. Just saying dont rely on it.
Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Thats the issue. Its not accurate. Its a false since of security with out the wideband. I dont think it will hurt anything hooking it up since you have it.. Just saying dont rely on it.
Dave
How inaccurate is it though? I guess I'm just looking for someone who's used it to see what it's like.

Did people spike 15:1 A/F for 2 full gears before it caught on and shut off when they had the shut off voltage set to ~13:1?

Did they have a couple seconds where it jumped a point over their setting to say 14:1 vs. the 13:1 it was set at before it shut off?

Did it give a false reading and trigger shut off at 12.4:1 thinking it was over the 13:1 limit in the middle of a pull?

I've heard it's incapable of giving a rich shut off, but that it does ok with lean. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of swings to expect.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

You can not use a narrow band stock O2 sensor for any kind of acurate lean shut down, period I don't care what anyone tries to say. If it worked that good then nobody would need to buy a WB. There is a reason they are called narrow band sensors. I would NEVERtrust stock O2 for a nitrous lean safety. If you want to use the lean shut down feature buy a WB and tie it into the MicoEdge.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to use it on my little 100 shot, and the feature was very inconsistent.

It's a fault of the narrowband, not the MicroEdge. They just have too wide a voltage range for any given AFR.

I just installed a UEGO in my car today to get ready for racing. I feel MUCH more confident using it to control lean shutdown.

Get the wideband. Cheap Insurance.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good, just wanted to verify with some people who ran it that way before I picked up the NGK unit.