Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad refills..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Bad refills..

I'm feeling like the last 2 refills have been bad; 1-2 acceleration on the jug and after that the pressure drops substancially, like if its almost empty(500-600)! When its full, it was around 1200-1300psi usually and now its only 700-800 when freshly refilled??

They charged me for 11 and 12 lbs.

The thing that is really weird is that when I use my purge, theres no white steam, even when bottle is full, only the sound of air purging...So it really means its only air I guess!! Plus, when I disconnected my bottle, I openned the valve and a lot of air came out till there was nothing, I can tell it was NOT nitrous because my hand was right in front of the valve!

The 2 shops used pump filling system...

what you think?? How can I be sure it wont happen again?? Is it because they didnt purge the bottle before the last refills? I hate to pay 100+$ for this ****!!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check the weight on the bottles after fills. This eliminates any grey area on if the filled it all the way.

Thats what I would do on your next refill.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I'm feeling like the last 2 refills have been bad; 1-2 acceleration on the jug and after that the pressure drops substancially, like if its almost empty(500-600)! When its full, it was around 1200-1300psi usually and now its only 700-800 when freshly refilled??

The thing that is really weird is that when I use my purge, theres no white steam, even when bottle is full, only the sound of air purging...So it really means its only air I guess!! Plus, when I disconnected my bottle, I openned the valve and a lot of air came out till there was nothing, I can tell it was NOT nitrous because my hand was right in front of the valve!

what you think?? How can I be sure it wont happen again?? Is it because they didnt purge the bottle before the last refills? I hate to pay 100+$ for this ****!!
Are you using a heater to regulate the pressure? Pressure after a fill can vary due to the temperature of the bottle. It shouldn't be between 1200 and 1300 at any time anyway. If it's a 10lb bottle, they shouldn't be putting 11 or 12lbs in it either. On a 10 pounder it should way 24.5lbs when completely full.

The white "steam" you see is not the nitrous, it's water in the air condensing because of the low temperature of the nitrous. If it's very dry outside you won't always see much, if it's humid, you'll see more.

If you just cracked the bottle valve, which I assume you did, it will feel like it's just air.

They shouldn't purge the bottle before filling. That would be ripping you off.

Weigh the bottle right now on a reliable scale and see what it weighs.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Double check the weight on the bottles after fills. This eliminates any grey area on if the filled it all the way.

Thats what I would do on your next refill.
If its air, I guess it wont weight much so I wont have to pay for it anyway right?

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Are you using a heater to regulate the pressure? Pressure after a fill can vary due to the temperature of the bottle. It shouldn't be between 1200 and 1300 at any time anyway. If it's a 10lb bottle, they shouldn't be putting 11 or 12lbs in it either. On a 10 pounder it should way 24.5lbs when completely full.

The white "steam" you see is not the nitrous, it's water in the air condensing because of the low temperature of the nitrous. If it's very dry outside you won't always see much, if it's humid, you'll see more.

If you just cracked the bottle valve, which I assume you did, it will feel like it's just air.

They shouldn't purge the bottle before filling. That would be ripping you off.

Weigh the bottle right now on a reliable scale and see what it weighs.
I'm thinking why its NOT cold when its purging??

thanks for the reply guys, I'll check the weight before and after..

..yes I'm using a heater, but usually the pressure stays around 750 when cold and I heat it till 1000..takes 20mins. When the bottle is really empty, the pressure is around 400-600 without heatting
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking why its NOT cold when its purging??
What?

What about the other few questions I asked?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When its full, it was around 1200-1300psi usually and now its only 700-800 when freshly refilled??
You are confusing yourself with a common but wrong idea. Bottle pressure is determined only by nitrous temperature. Pressure can not tell you how full the bottle is.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
What?

What about the other few questions I asked?
Isnt supposed to be very cold since its nitrogen?? Because When I purged the bottle, it was clearly not cold! My heater is working fine..

I finally got a refill and they were out of nitrous so I only got 8lbs this time. I like it better this way; I didnt get ripped this time since its under 10lbs of N2O..

Last edited by Johnnystock; 09-24-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gary Z
You are confusing yourself with a common but wrong idea. Bottle pressure is determined only by nitrous temperature. Pressure can not tell you how full the bottle is.
I know but when they filled it with the pump system, it gets really full and the bottle warms by itself, so it shows around 1000-1200.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know but when they filled it with the pump system, it gets really full and the bottle warms by itself, so it shows around 1000-1200.
I don't have an answer for your question, but if you don't mind, what do you run in the 1/4?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JustAnotherLS2
I don't have an answer for your question, but if you don't mind, what do you run in the 1/4?
shitty times cause stock 10bolt with stock gear+N2O/H/C/I=BOOM I came back on a towing truck.

I'm not going back until I can afford/invest on a 9inch, which wont happen soon. I'd rather put5-6K on a stroker than a diff since its a street car.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

I have found that my NX bottle (not the new bottles) weighs 25.2 lbs when full. I verified this by weighing it with the bottle nut and gauge completely empty and came up with 15.2. I used a sharpie and wrote "25.2 is full" on my bottle so there's no confusion when getting it filled.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You experienced a large pressure drop on those fills because they
filled the bottles too full.

When you have 11/12 lb of nitrous in a 10 lb bottle....you have
VERY small volume above the liquid. As you use the nitrous this volume increases (percentage wise) more rapidly than normal, and you see it as a faster pressure drop.

You should set up your system to operate at 1000 psig or lower and keep
bottle temperatures below 90*.

Last edited by magnum-gto; 09-25-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

^thanks for the input^..its tuned to be sprayed at 1000psi. I'll buy a damn scale!