Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a plug reading please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010 | 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Help with a plug reading please.

Was hoping to get some advice on reading a spark plug. I ran some nitrous pulls earlier this evening and took some pics of the plug to post. The wideband said that it was running a 13.3 afr at wide open on the motor and 11.5 afr on the nitrous pulling 9.9 degrees of timing with 110 octane fuel on a 175 shot.

Unfortunately the way I had the car tuned as of this morning was over jetted on the primaries and within about 10 miles had the plugs sooted up pretty well making it hard to read. I have since been through the carb tuneup and it is a completely car now.

After the pull the ground strap of the electrode was a rather gray white and the very tip of the porcelan was white while the rest of it stayed black.

Old 12-03-2010 | 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry they are so big. I couldn't get a less blurry picture.
Old 12-04-2010 | 07:00 AM
9 Second Club

pics are blurry. Did you make the nitrous pull then shut the car off then coast over then pull them?
Old 12-04-2010 | 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Those plugs look like they have miles on them. LOL. Really need to read a fresh plug and try again. Whats the jet spread?
Old 12-05-2010 | 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Holy humungo blurry pics
Old 12-05-2010 | 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

A little advice....
1. Must have a fresh set of plugs in the car, not necessarily all 8 but at least the ones you plan on pulling and posting pics.
2. make sure you little to NO drive time on these, timing at idle can skew the strap vs WOT timing
3. Make a pass, 1/8 or 1/4, whatever you've been running then kill the key at the end of the pass, coast to a stop then pull the plugs you want us to read.
4. Take a hacksaw or some type of cut off tool and cut the threads off the plug. This will allow us to see and read your fuel ring. Stay very conservative on the timing until we can verify you are not fat or lean.
5. Once the fuel is on point then we can start tweaking timing, however the timing is done best at the track so we can measure MPH, however you can it it safe and close on street (i meant closed road that is legal to make nitrous pulls on LOL....
Old 12-05-2010 | 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carter01
A little advice....
1. Must have a fresh set of plugs in the car, not necessarily all 8 but at least the ones you plan on pulling and posting pics.
2. make sure you little to NO drive time on these, timing at idle can skew the strap vs WOT timing
3. Make a pass, 1/8 or 1/4, whatever you've been running then kill the key at the end of the pass, coast to a stop then pull the plugs you want us to read.
4. Take a hacksaw or some type of cut off tool and cut the threads off the plug. This will allow us to see and read your fuel ring. Stay very conservative on the timing until we can verify you are not fat or lean.
5. Once the fuel is on point then we can start tweaking timing, however the timing is done best at the track so we can measure MPH, however you can it it safe and close on street (i meant closed road that is legal to make nitrous pulls on LOL....
Thats exactly what I plan on doing is grabbing a couple new plugs and trying it again.
I have my timing way out. like 22 or 23 degrees.
I won't street drive it on them either.

Im pretty good with carbs but sometimes it just takes me a little bit to put all my knowledge together in one carb and get it the way I want it. I have it there now though.

Ill get a couple new plugs tomorrow and try it again.

Until then does anyone have a way to post pics on here without them being huge and blurry. I tried the manage pics deal but it refused to work for me so I just posted links instead.

Thank you everybody.