Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MicroEdge question - separate stages for fuel / nitrous + progressive

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MicroEdge question - separate stages for fuel / nitrous + progressive

I'm running my fuel and nitrous solenoids on separate stages to correct a lean spike. Stage 1 (fuel) activates .2 sec before stage 2 (nitrous). I'm also using the progressive feature. I have it set to build from 50% to 100% over 2.0 seconds. The problem here (I think) is that since the fuel stage activates before the nitrous stage, the fuel solenoid will build at a different rate than the nitrous solenoid. My solution was to use the progressive "knee points" to try to match the build rates after .2 seconds. These are the settings I used:

StrtPwr 1 - 50%
End Pwr 1 - 100%
Build Time 1 - 2.0
StrtPwr 2 - 50%
End Pwr 2 - 100%
Build Time 2 - 1.8
Power Knee 1 - 0%
Build Knee 1 - 10%
Power Knee 2 - 0%
Build Knee 2 - 0%

The idea here was to hold the fuel solenoid at 50% for the .2 sec that the nitrous solenoid is not activated (Build Knee 1 - 10% of 2.0 sec), then the nitrous solenoid activates and builds at the same linear rate as the fuel solenoid for the remaining 1.8 sec.

That made sense in my head.... did I do it right?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

This also brings to light another question-
Assuming I know how the progressive action works - pulsing the solenoids

In adding the delay to the nitrous solenoid, is it possible (or probable) that the nitrous solenoid and fuel solenoid may not be pulsing at the same time? Is this a problem?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Just sounds like your going about a pretty complicated way of fixing the lean spike. Doubt anyone has tried what you are trying. Have you tried anything else to fix the spike? Like by changing fuel line or nitrous line length between the noid and nozzle?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAGOES11S
Just sounds like your going about a pretty complicated way of fixing the lean spike. Doubt anyone has tried what you are trying. Have you tried anything else to fix the spike? Like by changing fuel line or nitrous line length between the noid and nozzle?
Thanks for the reply....

This isn't about fixing the lean spike. It's about running a progressive controller with separate fuel/nitrous stages. The length of the lines from the nitrous solenoid to the plate is about 23" each. The fuel lines are about 5" each. These are 3/16" steel lines.

I'm mostly concerned with proper use of the knee points, and then my second post which is a completely different question. The lean spike is actually the least of my concerns. It's very short and I could wire the two solenoids to the same stage if I need to without having any concern for the lean spike. But since it's already wired separately, I'd like to just set the controller properly.

HSW suggests using the separate stages to correct lean spikes, however there's never any mention of using the progressive controller in conjunction with separate fuel and nitrous stages. All of the knee point discussion in the instructions covers only a single stage and not overlapping stages.

Again, thanks for the reply though. I would have thought that the significant difference in length that I have would have taken care of any lean spike issues. Unfortunately I can't run the lines any longer than they are without looping the hard lines or something, which would be a lot more complicated than making a few adjustments in the Microedge controller.

Last edited by Skinny; 02-09-2011 at 11:25 AM.