Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottle/solenoid leaked overnight

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bottle/solenoid leaked overnight

Last year, after the last time I raced, I forgot to shut my bottle when I garaged the car. I went back a couple days later and the bottle was empty. I'm not sure where the bottle leaked, either at the solenoid connection or at the bottle. Should I go over the solenoids before I use them again? Is this common? Will my next bottle leak empty as soon as I connect another? Thanks

Greg
Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would fill the bottle and find the leak, then fix accordingly. It could be trash in the solenoid or the line leaking.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had my lines break while setting over the winter. They cracked right at the ferruel
Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Most likely it probably leaked out at the bottle connection. Pipe thread fittings really don't seal well with high pressure gasses and will seep over time - made worse by the fact once the liquid N2O begins leaking it chills and contracts the metal in the area resulting in a larger leak.

BUT to be safe I would thoroughly check out your solenoid too.

Be careful and vent out the area and your car if the N2O possibly leaked into there, not sure how much the dissipated over the course of the days in an enclosed area with no ventilation. If you think it was the solenoid, you should probably open up your intake tract and the TB, to be certain the nitrous isn't present when you fire up the car.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the tips. It wasnt till a few days later i checked the car out, and the bottle was completely empty from being almost totally full. I opened the TB before I started the car and everything was fine.

I will check the line at the bottle when I get a bottle filled. Is it possible that it leaked past the solenoid, and if it did, will the solenoid be bad?

John, did you have to replace your line?