NMS-1000 review by Kevin Neal Outlaw 275 winner at SGMP

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NMS-1000 review by Kevin Neal Outlaw 275 winner at SGMP

Kevin Neal outlaw 275

"WE WON OUR FIRST RACE WITH THE NMS-1000 and set our best times and maybe the best ever for a small tire car on a single system!
4.82 @ 151.6 on a 275. We also ran a 4.86 PEDALING the next round. Data said that it would have been a low 4.7x!! "

Here is a write up he did .

I tried the NMS-1000 out for the first time at the “Lights out” race in GA. Several racers asked me how I liked it and how it compared to my previous controller.

Starting with the only negative- The screen is kind of small when working with the graph. Making adjustments was easier working off the time and percentage readouts than to move try and “shape” the graph. This was not a big deal at all, just something to get used to and was easy for me since the old controller had no graph at all.

The positives-
Total control- You can set each and every cycle of the controller @ 25hz that’s 50 separate tuning points 2 seconds. I was able to put power in and take it out exactly where necessary (or at least where I thought it was necessary ). This may be overload for some, but I like that it’s possible. The control points can be adjusted individually or in groups and the fuel control points can be adjusted completely separate or simply copy the nitrous side, which is what I did.

No RFI issues- I won’t say that this is any better than my last controller, because I didn’t have any problems with it either. It was hooked up to the same wiring and installed in the same location as the previous one and it performed flawlessly. No glitches showed up in the data logs.

Reduced nitrous on delay- The last controller always had a 0.05-0.06 delay between the time the activation wire was turned on and the time the nitrous began to flow. Several other racers I talked to confirmed this on their controllers as well. I assumed it was because the cycle must be have a cycle of “Off” then “On”. Well the NMS-1000 only had an 0.008 delay in nitrous flow starting. So I’m guessing the cycle is “On” then “Off”.

The nicest surprise feature, the Recovery Ramp: If the pedal the car the controller can be setup to “wait & hold” (start from where it was), start the whole sequence over or to use a recovery ramp. I didn’t give this a second thought at first and just set the recovery ramp up to come on. I turned out that we where having a ton of problems with the anti-roll bar driving the car right. So I had to pedal like it was the Tour-de-France. The Recovery Ramp let the car come down from the wheelies smooth, it the past turning off and on the big kit would make the car go back up or bounce like crazy. I was told that radials wouldn’t recover from spin like a slick but every time pedaled it hooked and went (it was the first time on the radial). The track was really good so I wouldn’t say that it they will recover every time when spun, but it can’t hurt.

There are plenty of other features. Some I played with, like the ability to save multiple set-ups (which was nice when making changes that I wasn’t quite certain of) and some I didn’t like the data logging, but the ones listed above were more than enough for me

***** the above is a unedited post from Kevin Neal. This is a unedited follow up post he did

"Also, I just re-read the manual and there is a zoom function I totally missed. I'm sure that would have made it a much better, LOL (i'm an idiot) "
Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post some info about the controller itself. Im sure many havent heard of it here and would like too.

Sounds like a major upgrade from my FJO.

Cam
Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

I was there watching, what car were you running?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not my car. Here is the Info about his ride from Kevin himself.

"89 mustang LX. Stock Suspension w/coil overs, 25.5 cage constructed by a friend Jason Grabor and myself, 8.8 rearend, Bradco turbo 400 and converter. Double AA k-member a-arms and limiters, TRZ rear control arms. All mounted in the stock locations with no extra holes.

BES 598 BBC: Conventional BMF385 heads,Victor manifold and Single Dominator, Ross pistons, GRP Rods and Eagle Crank.
Single direct port kit:compucar nozzles, .120 bottom exit solenoids. Installed and flow tested by myself
NLR NMS-1000 progressive (of course).

Best times: Old progressive (Brand "E") with the direct kit and a plate 4.89 @ 149 on 28x10.5 tires @3200lbs
NLR progressive and only the direct kit 4.82 @152 on 275 radials. 4.86 @ 150 on the 28x10.5 @ 3150lbs"

Quick Reply: NMS-1000 review by Kevin Neal Outlaw 275 winner at SGMP