Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best bottle heater???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mike
A blow torch makes the best heater! Purposely designed bottle heaters take to long to get the bottle pressure up. Bottle heaters are good just to maintain pressure.
I hope you are joking, but if not I am glad that I live in another state and will not be in the same vicinity as you when you use a blow torch to heat up an N20 bottle.

You really shouldn't make suggestions like yours, even though you are kidding. Some people might not interpret your suggestion as a joke.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 10-17-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:42 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people actually do use propane torches to heat their bottles. Although I'd consider that cave man like practices, he does have a point on bottle heaters taking too long to get a colder bottle up to pressure. I'd never use a torch myself though.

If you want constant pressure all the time, no matter what temperature it is, invest in a nitrogen push setup.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 70ls1pu
NX makes the best IMHO
apparently you've never tried any other kind before. I've had and used NOS, NX, and I now use Dynotune's version. IMO, Dynotune is the best for several reasons. 1. Bigger than NX and NOS so more surface area. 2. Cheaper ! 3. Their pressure switch is adjustable. 4. NX heater is 140 watt where as the NOS and Dynotune is 200 watt, hence heats up alot faster. IMO the NX is JUNK! That is why I sold mine and bought a dynotune setup.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

A small correction.
NX is 240W and Dynotune is 300W.

Originally Posted by toxic99
apparently you've never tried any other kind before. I've had and used NOS, NX, and I now use Dynotune's version. IMO, Dynotune is the best for several reasons. 1. Bigger than NX and NOS so more surface area. 2. Cheaper ! 3. Their pressure switch is adjustable. 4. NX heater is 140 watt where as the NOS and Dynotune is 200 watt, hence heats up alot faster. IMO the NX is JUNK! That is why I sold mine and bought a dynotune setup.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive only owned a DynoTune heater and it works great. On a side not my budyd was using one of thos propane heaters to heat his bottle this weekend at the track!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 AM
8 second mod

Im with Big Mike, hell i use a torch on my 6 oz bottles on my pocket bike!!!!
However if i have time, i run the bottle heater/bracket that 860 sells. its a sweet setup. for less money tho i would say dyno tune for sure, i run some dyno tune stuff, and it is top notch
Old 10-18-2004, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow,What a post.
Im going to have to put my vote in on the fire and Ice.However I do like the dyno tune from what I have heard about it.I have never had one so I dont know alot about it.I do like the adjustable pressure switch.On the heater element NX has the best looking one.I just like the black element.
As for quality on the heaters I do not like the NOS.If I was a consumer I would look into the dyno tune or NX.Thats just my opinion.I have seen guys replacing the thermstates on the NOS ones with a different kind and not having near the problems.I personally got away from my NOS heater way back in the day.
Just couldnt help but to throw a post in here.
Dave
Old 10-18-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I hope you are joking, but if not I am glad that I live in another state and will not be in the same vicinity as you when you use a blow torch to heat up an N20 bottle.

You really shouldn't make suggestions like yours, even though you are kidding. Some people might not interpret your suggestion as a joke.

I'm not kidding. FWIW, my cousin runs pro mod and all the nitrous cars heat their bottles up this way. If they don't heat them up using a torch, then they use the torch to keep the pressure up while waiting in the staging lanes.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 AM
8 second mod

i use it to. kind of funny, my small bottles on my pocket bike, i use my lighter to heat them while im away from my house or tralior. its pretty funny
Old 10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot of racers use torches.We do not recomend it because when you do this it can weaken the elements in the metal.If you do use a torch the key is not to hold the flame directly over one part of the bottle.Keep it moving around the bottle quickly.You should be able to take your hand and put it on the bottle and it should not be to warm.Remember you are playing with fire.
Dave
Old 10-18-2004, 11:26 AM
8 second mod

Fire,Fire, yhea, Fire fire!!!! hhaaa haa
Old 10-18-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

What track lets you heat up bottles with a torch?
Both IHRA and NHRA have specific rules against it. Don't try it at NewEngland Dragway, unless you want to get booted for a year. They are strict about that and do enforce it.

If you need your bottles heated before you put them in a car then use one of the water filled or hot air boxes, they work great.

This is from the IHRA handbook:
Nitrous Oxide: External heating of nitrous bottles with an open flame is strictly forbidden.

Originally Posted by Big Mike
I'm not kidding. FWIW, my cousin runs pro mod and all the nitrous cars heat their bottles up this way. If they don't heat them up using a torch, then they use the torch to keep the pressure up while waiting in the staging lanes.

Last edited by 860 Performance; 10-18-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
What track lets you heat up bottles with a torch?
Both IHRA and NHRA have specific rules against it. Don't try it at NewEngland Dragway, unless you want to get booted for a year. They are strict about that and do enforce it.

If you need your bottles heated before you put them in a car then use one of the water filled or hot air boxes, they work great.

This is from the IHRA handbook:
Nitrous Oxide: External heating of nitrous bottles with an open flame is strictly forbidden.

No tracks allow it, but people do it anyway. Nitrogen pushes are illegal in NHRA too. Someone mentioned using this. This is just as illegal as using a torch.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

i see torches used all the time. mostly after refils at the track.
it's not a good idea, never see one blow but I do move away when i see one in use.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The DOT (Department of Transportation) outlawed split rims on 18 wheeler trucks and trailers because when the rim separates and blows apart they can and will kill you.

I forget the exact air pressure in a truck tire, but it's less than 120 psi. A truck tire weighs less than 200 lbs, but if and when a split rim blows it will blow a 200 lb tire 20 feet into air and the tire changer with it. Because blown truck tires kill the DOT outlawed split rims.

Likewise IMO you do not want to be in the path of an N20 bottle if the valve lets go and blows (the pressure in an N20 bottle is 800 psi or more).
Old 10-19-2004, 01:10 AM
9 Second Club

U could always heat up the bottle in a sink/bathtub full of hot water and then use a bottle heater to maintain pressure. Granted it's not as mobile as a torch, but it works
Old 10-19-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing my buddy was doing and it worked really really fast. He was putting the bottle in the floor by the heater and cranking th trucks heater up! It worked really good but it warmed it up too much the first time. Ill stick with the bottle heaters made for n20 bottles!
Old 10-19-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
A small correction.
NX is 240W and Dynotune is 300W.
Thanks, I knew that but misstyped it.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

I know this doesn't matter that much, but to get my bottles up to pressure quicker I have a NX heater setup & I have another companies 300watt heater rigged up on a cigarrette lighter plug, the NX heater is always hooked up to the pressure switch. So when my bottle is too cold or I need to get back to full pressure quick I use both heaters together. Toxic99 next time I run into you, I'll show you the setup, it's all rednecky, but it works great. It also works good if your *** gets cold @ the track, just plug the heater blanket into the cigarrette lighter & sit on it.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 AM
8 second mod

I like the idea of the cigeret lighter thing. i need that for my spare bottles. while they are waiting to be put in on the run befor, plug it into my truck, warm it up so its ready to go. good idea.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best bottle heater???