Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transbrake or not when using Nitrous....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transbrake or not when using Nitrous....

Hi

i'm swapping to AUTO for next season and i'm thinking should i take Transbrake or not for my setup, i'm trying to contact Chris at Circel D to have him specce out a Converter for me.

i have Covette C5 404ci cam 248.254 615.622 114
i have small heads TFS 215 so i'm peaking early and a lot of low end TQ on the juice

my goals are going 250 to 300 and maby up to 400 shots in future, the local track here is not the best when it comes to traction, i have done best 1.51 60's on T56 3.42 gears on 100 shots on 26inch slicks, but on a 200 shots it's spinnig out of the hole 1.56 best
i have 28 inch tires now but haven't tried them out

i'm gona use 3.42 gears whith the AUTO and i use NOS launcher for controlling the shot.

So Transbrake or not

Baezi
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Transbrakes really help a lot. You can make it work off the footbrake, but a tight nitrous converter will be hard to get up on the stall on the footbrake without pushing through.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Transbrakes really help a lot. You can make it work off the footbrake, but a tight nitrous converter will be hard to get up on the stall on the footbrake without pushing through.
i'm new in auto

should i then get a transbrake rather then not
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

Transbrake, no questions asked.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by baezi z06
i'm new in auto

should i then get a transbrake rather then not
As Carter said no questions asked.

Pushing through is when you cannot get any more rpm on the footbrake without pushing through the brakes.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and have them throw one in. Having one is more about consistency than anything.

Worst case scenario you have it and don't use it.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

You should wire your nitrous WOT switch with your transbrake anyway so that your nitrous will never come on with the transbrake on. it activates the WOT switch when you let off the transbrake with your pedal all the way to the floor.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:37 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Been doing this a long time, I will NEVER race without a brake again.
Just makes it easier & much more consistent.
Even with ~1000 less HP, you will absolutely love having a brake also.
Plus as mentioned, just get it and you won't have to worry later, but I would bet 99% of the guys that try it, use it??

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mbaker3
You should wire your nitrous WOT switch with your transbrake anyway so that your nitrous will never come on with the transbrake on. it activates the WOT switch when you let off the transbrake with your pedal all the way to the floor.
Eh... I've actually done this before.... Accidentally

I threw the car back together when I was tired and mixed up some of the wiring. First pass I made with the car the next day I grabbed the brake, got the car on the two step, and it sounded like someone was holding the trigger of a belt fed automatic 12 gauge.

It didn't do any damage, but it sure sounded violent as hell. There's a guy at our local track who SWEARS by spraying on the brake. I can't imagine that it would hurt anything (as long as you're cutting spark to limit rpm) with a 2-step, but I imagine it could be pretty hard on a converter if you didn't have a way to limit rpm.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

I dunno about that dude who says spraying on the brake is better can't imagine it being good for the converter like you said. I'd rather have the timing in the motor to get up on the converter and have the window switch or if your using a controller like the nos mini activate the retard and nitrous once the brake is released.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed, but the converter issue kind of goes out the window with a two step. The guy has a SUPER tight converter because he likes to run a lot of rear gear (last time we talked he was debating going from a 4.88 to a 5.13) w/ a TH 350 and try to drive the thing on the street. The car is a total dog on the motor because of that. We were messing with the car at one of my friends shops last year and the thing wouldn't get to 2400 RPM with the brake engaged. I guess spraying it gets him up on the converter enough for it to actually leave well. Just a really poorly matched, underpowered combo. All of that said, there's still really no reason to do it.

I guess I was also lucky that I like the KISS method of pulling timing. AKA taking it out of the tune itself rather than relying on some other electrical gizmo that has to be activated. We aren't talking about a turbo car that really needs time to get up on the converter. Hold the TB and its going to go to whatever the motor will push the converter to. Whenever you release the button and the kit comes on, the added torque is going to flash the converter instantly anyway. That kind of negates the need for added timing on the brake.

Then again, I sure as hell wouldn't do it on purpose again.

Last edited by ryarbrough; 11-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carter01
Transbrake, no questions asked.
My question is answered Transbrake it is then.......

Originally Posted by mbaker3

I have unused inputs in the NOS Launcher controller that i can use for the transbrake switch

Thanks guys...

Baezi

Last edited by baezi z06; 11-13-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Agreed, but the converter issue kind of goes out the window with a two step. The guy has a SUPER tight converter because he likes to run a lot of rear gear (last time we talked he was debating going from a 4.88 to a 5.13) w/ a TH 350 and try to drive the thing on the street. The car is a total dog on the motor because of that. We were messing with the car at one of my friends shops last year and the thing wouldn't get to 2400 RPM with the brake engaged. I guess spraying it gets him up on the converter enough for it to actually leave well. Just a really poorly matched, underpowered combo. All of that said, there's still really no reason to do it.

I guess I was also lucky that I like the KISS method of pulling timing. AKA taking it out of the tune itself rather than relying on some other electrical gizmo that has to be activated. We aren't talking about a turbo car that really needs time to get up on the converter. Hold the TB and its going to go to whatever the motor will push the converter to. Whenever you release the button and the kit comes on, the added torque is going to flash the converter instantly anyway. That kind of negates the need for added timing on the brake.

Then again, I sure as hell wouldn't do it on purpose again.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I have a camaro I'm going to be spraying soon and I was thinking about just doing the resistor mod trick. Dont want to muck this guys thread up though. Carry on.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shoot me a pm or start a thread if you have any questions.... Hope you're enjoying J-rod's old piece btw
Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I'm no expert, but there is no frigging way you should spray on the brake.
All that load on the converter with the limiter on is insane??
Look at the heat per second you add to the fluid on nuts, now imagine doing it while spraying??
I just don't see any gain, and if there was, the experts would be pushing it, if it was safe??

Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

What the hell would be the purpose of spraying while you're on the TB? If you're using a rev limiter, you set that RPM just below your stall, have your WOT switch run through the TB switch and when you let off the TB, you're on the spray instantly! No broken parts!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I completely agree... Just like trying to coax out more technical discussions than, "What spark plug should I use for a 100 shot."

I guess the way I see it, whats the difference between a blower car or a spooled up turbo car on the brake and a nitrous car spraying on the brake.

Not saying I would ever do it again, on purpose at least. Just wanted to spark discussion.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Well for one, we can't control the boost like they can, and we don't need to spool up.
When I hit each stage, its all in immediately!!!
Now if we needed to spool up the N2O, then I could see the point,
but just look at all the trans issues a turbo guy has, and he doesn't have the instant on we do.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Well for one, we can't control the boost like they can, and we don't need to spool up.
When I hit each stage, its all in immediately!!!
Now if we needed to spool up the N2O, then I could see the point,
but just look at all the trans issues a turbo guy has, and he doesn't have the instant on we do..
That's my point exactly.....it gives you absolutely no E.T. advantage and will break parts. If your N2O pressure is right and you have purged your solenoids, when you hit the switch, it comes at you instantly. To each his own, but I bet spraying on the brake doesn't give you .00000000001 second faster!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think he was trying to get anyone to spray on the brake, more like telling us that a local he knows does it.

Quick Reply: Transbrake or not when using Nitrous....