Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bare Minimum Nitrous System... How much am I looking at $$?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bare Minimum Nitrous System... How much am I looking at $$?

Well basically I wanted to know what I need for a very basic nitrous set up on my 2000 SS M6. How much am I looking at $$$ wise? Do I need a specific tune? Sorry for the newb nitrous questions, thanks for any and all input. I really only want like a 50-100 shot system.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
I really only want like a 50-100 shot system.
That's how it starts.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id look for a dry setup first off. Maybe search around on cl a bit. I got a used wet kit minus jettings for around 350$ with a purge valve.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
Id look for a dry setup first off. Maybe search around on cl a bit. I got a used wet kit minus jettings for around 350$ with a purge valve.
Umm.. not sure why anyone would recommend a dry system to start. A wet system is a much safer way to go. If you got all the safety stuff to go with it and all the ignition equipment then you would be over $1000 to run it reliably and safely.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

You can buy a used kit for $300 and be done. Buying used nitrous is always risky but plenty of people do it without issue. The big thing is to make sure the noids are ok. Everything else used it no problem unless it has holes in the lines.

If you want to go new then $350-$450 is usualy the cost for the most basic kit. You can run it and just spray on a button but in an M6 I would highly reccomend a window switch.

What most people consider a minimal system brakes down like this.
Nitrous kit- $400is
Window switch- $150ish($100 used)
Bottle heater- $150ish
Plugs- $20 for all 8
For a 50 shot a tune isn't required if you are on a stock tune now. 100 shot you should tune or run race fuel. Pesonaly I am a fan of draining your tank very low and filling it with 110 for just a 100 shot. A tune for me is a bit extream. I had a custom tune from BB in my truck and Justin was still content with me running 110 race fuel on a 100 shot and never had an issue.

In a nut shell, you can run nitrous for $300 or so, the most basic set up with minimal add ons will be $800 or so. I love saving money but you have to decide if $500 or so extra is worth some extra safety.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by custm2500
You can buy a used kit for $300 and be done. Buying used nitrous is always risky but plenty of people do it without issue. The big thing is to make sure the noids are ok. Everything else used it no problem unless it has holes in the lines.

If you want to go new then $350-$450 is usualy the cost for the most basic kit. You can run it and just spray on a button but in an M6 I would highly reccomend a window switch.

What most people consider a minimal system brakes down like this.
Nitrous kit- $400is
Window switch- $150ish($100 used)
Bottle heater- $150ish
Plugs- $20 for all 8
For a 50 shot a tune isn't required if you are on a stock tune now. 100 shot you should tune or run race fuel. Pesonaly I am a fan of draining your tank very low and filling it with 110 for just a 100 shot. A tune for me is a bit extream. I had a custom tune from BB in my truck and Justin was still content with me running 110 race fuel on a 100 shot and never had an issue.

In a nut shell, you can run nitrous for $300 or so, the most basic set up with minimal add ons will be $800 or so. I love saving money but you have to decide if $500 or so extra is worth some extra safety.
Thanks for breaking it down like that, ok I kinda figured right around all that. I'm going to be finishing my cam swap pretty soon and after that I'm sure I'll need to put my money somewhere else. So there's a $500 difference in having a reliable N2O setup and something that could possibly damage my engine?

I figure with N20 its probably best not to mess around with the cheap stuff. I have a pending cash offer on my show truck, if that goes through I'll go the more expensive safe route. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So there's a $500 difference in having a reliable N2O setup and something that could possibly damage my engine?
it will be a "safer" nitrous setup, but theres a chance you could still damage the motor. i would say yes to the window switch, bottle heater etc, money well spent. just a heads up.....it gets addicting and expensive . i have two bottle for two cars that doesnt help either. btw i keep a spare at the house, i dont drive with two bottles lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can run a bare bones dry 100 shot on a stock car if you want to. 1 solenoid, bottle, -4an line, nozzle, done. it wont be ther best but it will work. and can be hidden
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
you can run a bare bones dry 100 shot on a stock car if you want to. 1 solenoid, bottle, -4an line, nozzle, done. it wont be ther best but it will work. and can be hidden
I wouldn't let a noob try that though. Some of us guys who know more can try that and know what we can get away with.

Dynotune has kits for cheap if you want to got that route. Also look into the Brand X stuff from Nitrous Outlet. It's a cheap alternative but its good stuff too, otherwise Nitrous Outlet wouldn't sell it. I recommend Nitrous outlet since they are one of our sponsors and we need to support our sponsors when we can.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

I just bought a complete 90mm N2o outlet plate complete kit for 350 bucks. I paid 275 for a TNT f2 kit still in the plastic at a swap meet acouple years ago also.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous Outlet has a Brand X kit & Nitrous Express has a mainline kit I just bought a mainline kit of CL for 200 thats right at half price I need 2 kits is why I done that lol took my powerpro to make sure the noids worked The safety stuff adds upquick butid rather buy it to protect my new stroker its all goin on One ole boy told me nitrous is worse than cocaine lol youll always want more he started at 100 & wound up with 300 on his bbc lol
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I wouldn't let a noob try that though. Some of us guys who know more can try that and know what we can get away with.

Dynotune has kits for cheap if you want to got that route. Also look into the Brand X stuff from Nitrous Outlet. It's a cheap alternative but its good stuff too, otherwise Nitrous Outlet wouldn't sell it. I recommend Nitrous outlet since they are one of our sponsors and we need to support our sponsors when we can.
I am quite the nitrous noob, I'm definitely going to get a window switch... I bought an old hot rod a few years ago and it had a carb plate system on it for a 350... Could I use the bottle and line that came with it and just get LS1 specific nozzles or solenoids? It's a pretty old school N0S bottle and line.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am quite the nitrous noob, I'm definitely going to get a window switch... I bought an old hot rod a few years ago and it had a carb plate system on it for a 350... Could I use the bottle and line that came with it and just get LS1 specific nozzles or solenoids? It's a pretty old school N0S bottle and line.
Yeah, you can still use the bottle and line you had from the other kit.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Go used and check the noids. I just picked up a wet kit with bottle, heater, micro edge, switch panel and purge for $560.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
formerly lamborado (1-12-2012)

my first nitrous kit was a 2 stage stand alone plate kit on a WOT switch and a button, and no AF gauge, and i was a complete newb. Just get a used kit, guys sell em all day for about 300.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

I have Brand New Nitrous Express Mainline Universal EFI kits on sale. $375 with Free shipping. They come with everything needed for up to a 150 shot. Includes single nozzle, lines, 10lb bottle, brackets and WOT switch. Better then messing with used!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
formerly lamborado (1-12-2012)

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
I have Brand New Nitrous Express Mainline Universal EFI kits on sale. $375 with Free shipping. They come with everything needed for up to a 150 shot. Includes single nozzle, lines, 10lb bottle, brackets and WOT switch. Better then messing with used!
sure is, thats a good deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Not looking at the kit this is a killer deal. Problem I see with the cheapest kits is they have noids that are tiny. Just a personal preference but I don't like tiny noids.

The biggest difference of spending or saving $500 is simplicity. The window switch allows you to are your nitrous system and forget it. You mash the gas and shift gears as if you weren't running nitrous. The bottle heater will help keep your system consistent because most guys race on cool nights therefore the bottle gets cold and drops pressure. Less pressure means less power. Only good news is that it allows you motor to stay on the fat side so it is a touch safer. But you are leaving a lot on the table. Personally I need a bottle heater. I never bought one so I always have low bottle pressure. I will be buying one before running nitrous next time at the track.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

That would be perfect choice to start with and you can always build onto that system later
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM
FormerVendor

Yep! I usually sell the add ons such as warmers, window switches, timing retards and more. The solenoids are small but very much capable of a 150 shot. It's the most popular kit I sell. NX is the best!

Quick Reply: Bare Minimum Nitrous System... How much am I looking at $$?