Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice from the experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice from the experts

Up until now i have got a pretty good grip on tuning nitrous with 93, 110, c16 etc etc, now my issue is i just bought a car that is tuned on e 85 and I know nothing about e85 will the plugs still read as they would on gasoline, or will they turn a color I have never seen?

2nd thing, i plan to hit this motor with a 300 hit or so, will e85 support that?

The reason I am asking these questions is the car is already tuned for e 85 and has a standalone of which the previous owner put e 85 in there as well and if the e85 is the better choice it will save me the trouble of tuning it back to utilize pump gas in the main tank. will i have a better tuning window with e 85, or 93 with c16 in the standalone (I know you guys will tell me not to hit it with that much on 93)

in case you want some motor info, it is a 408 with ~12.4-1 comp.

Thanks for any input!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Anybody.........
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call and talk to Nitro Dave.
He told me he has worked with E85 some.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Launching!

E85 is pretty much a high octane fuel. So I dont see y u couldnt spay that much at it. The only thing id worry about is jetting cuz u use twicr as much fuel compared to regular gas. I just no the basics with e85 . But hopefully someone can chime in and answer ur questions. Im interested in going e85 in the future
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Launching!

i really like the concept of it, my cars will always be street cars and e-85 is cheap! If this car was a race only track car c16 would be my choice of fuel, but at 16 a gallon no way! So thats why e85 has got my attention.

Thanks atv i will give him a call shortly
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Launching!

from what i am understanding, tuning e85 is almost backwards from gasoline as far as the plugs are concerned, spoke to Dave for a bit today and what he had to say was very interesting.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was good talking to you... If you have any more questions let me know.
Dave
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Dave thanks again for spending some time on the phone! The answer to your question about which standalone pump i have, it is the holley black, is this ok?
also what has me concerned is my back pumps are twin walboro 255 pumps will these be ok on 85 or will it burn the pumps up?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Dave I just my new motor put together and my tuner which is really well in tuning 93 and c16 on nitrous but he has never tuned e85 which I'll be using , can you give me any pointers to tell him for Friday or somewhere he can read ?thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
It was good talking to you... If you have any more questions let me know.
Dave
dave I heard something crazy the other day. wanted to know if you had heard this before?

The fuel ring on E-85 is at the top of the porcelean and not at the bottom?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Launching!

from what I understand you will not be looking at the porcelain at all, you will use only the base of the plug and the strap to tune off of, when you pull a plug after a wot pull you will want to see between a half to 3/4 turn on the base of the plug and that will appear grey/silverish in color after you clean it with carb cleaner (a full turn is aggressive), the remaining 1/4 should be a tan color, the timing mark will remain the same as if you were tuning gasoline. If the base of the plug is very dark and will not wash off with carb cleaner you are very lean and you have a very aggressive tune up, if you pull the plug out and it is very shiney you are too rich. I hope that helps.

Dave by all means step in if i got any of that wrong.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
Dave thanks again for spending some time on the phone! The answer to your question about which standalone pump i have, it is the holley black, is this ok?
also what has me concerned is my back pumps are twin walboro 255 pumps will these be ok on 85 or will it burn the pumps up?
No problem. I am happy to help.

The holley black may be ok. With E85 it is really important to look the intire system over due to the amount of volume that has to be moved.

Fuel pump
Fuel pressure
line size
fitting orfice
solenoid orfice
inner plate or nozzle orfice

I am currently working on the flow bench with a set up that ran into an issue of not being able to flow enough fuel at 6 psi to support a 300 hp tune up. So I jacked it up to 13psi and it flowed enough to get the power levels I need.

Now the issue with this is my flow bench has a very short fuel line. No in lkine filter etc. Much less drag than a car that has a fuel pump in the back.

So to make sure this customer has no issues I am swaping him to a 45psi set up and re flowing everything. This means his Holley black is not going to cut it.

Dave
Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
from what I understand you will not be looking at the porcelain at all, you will use only the base of the plug and the strap to tune off of, when you pull a plug after a wot pull you will want to see between a half to 3/4 turn on the base of the plug and that will appear grey/silverish in color after you clean it with carb cleaner (a full turn is aggressive), the remaining 1/4 should be a tan color, the timing mark will remain the same as if you were tuning gasoline. If the base of the plug is very dark and will not wash off with carb cleaner you are very lean and you have a very aggressive tune up, if you pull the plug out and it is very shiney you are too rich. I hope that helps.

Dave by all means step in if i got any of that wrong.
Looks like you caught on pretty well.

As to the tan color not so much. I would say look for an oxidized look. Dull Silver.

Dave
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
dave I heard something crazy the other day. wanted to know if you had heard this before?

The fuel ring on E-85 is at the top of the porcelean and not at the bottom?
Like 10secz28 stated you will not read the porcylyn. You will look at the smooth top of the plug.
Dave
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Looks like you caught on pretty well.

As to the tan color not so much. I would say look for an oxidized look. Dull Silver.

Dave

Ok dave i'm confused, the one picture of the plug you sent the fuel ring was a half turn and was greyish/silver and the remaining half was a tanish color and this was a "soft" tuneup

the second plug was "oxidized" a full turn and this was an aggressive tuneup......I want to find a happy meadium between the two correct?

so the plug should be grey/silverish 3/4 of a turn what will the remaining 1/4 be if you say it should be oxidized to me that is the same color as the rest of the plug?? Sorry if i sound confusing lol