Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nitrous problem

Took my car to track over the weekend to run a few na and nitrous passes. Well I was very happy with my na but having problems out of my nitrous. I have hsw 78mm plate kit with the mircoedge and interface. I am currently spraying a 125 but was going to bump it up to a 150 later. My problem is I dont make very many nitrous passes so Im fairly new at this.

When I first installed the kit I had tr6's and sprayed it a few times on the hwy and seemed to do great. Well before the trip to the track I installed a fresh set of the tr7s. I only sprayed it twice cause I drove it to the track. On the second pass it launched great and felt good till about half track then it felt like the nitrous was cutting off and on the rest of the pass. Didnt feel like it was missing just nitrous cutting off. I checked everything and it seems like its working fine. Maybe someone smarter than me can give me some ideas on this problem. Anyhow I posted the slips from my na pass(7.12) and my best nitrous pass(6.77). I really think I should be able to pick up more than five mph on spray
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a wideband?
If so did you notice what you A/F ratio?

First thing though i would recommend running a non projected style plug such as a BF7EF from NGK. they work a little better and are a safer style plug to run with nitrous.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was your bottle pressure?
How many passes or test hits have you made on that bottle?
Do you know where the tune up is?
What is your airfuel, Spark plug gap, and timing?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
What was your bottle pressure?
How many passes or test hits have you made on that bottle?
Do you know where the tune up is?
What is your airfuel, Spark plug gap, and timing?
No sir I dont have a wideband but I do have the BF7EF plug. Now the bottle ive had it filled three time cause it had a slow leak somewhere and didnt know where it was coming from. I took it to a different guy and come to find out it was leaking around my gauge. So he just pluged till I get a new gauge, I need to figure out how to put a gauge on the line. So I didnt know the bottle pressure. My timing is around 23, spark plug gap is .030, and not sure what the airfuel is. Its pretty hard to get a good tuner in my area and the car seems to run to good on its current tune. Im going to look into letting someone retune soon for the nitrous
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blowing through the converter past where your window switch is set to turn off. Whats your shift points and whats your window switch settings?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by key4
No sir I dont have a wideband but I do have the BF7EF plug. Now the bottle ive had it filled three time cause it had a slow leak somewhere and didnt know where it was coming from. I took it to a different guy and come to find out it was leaking around my gauge. So he just pluged till I get a new gauge, I need to figure out how to put a gauge on the line. So I didnt know the bottle pressure. My timing is around 23, spark plug gap is .030, and not sure what the airfuel is. Its pretty hard to get a good tuner in my area and the car seems to run to good on its current tune. Im going to look into letting someone retune soon for the nitrous
Ok, Deffintly get a bottle pressure gauge back on the system. With out knowing the airfuel and bottle pressure its a crap shoot.

The BR7 plug should be about .034. ( I doubt the .030 is hurting anything)

How was your gauge mounted? was it the gauge leaking or was it just leaking past the threads where it screwed in?

Dave
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

My window switch is set to cut off at 6300 and it shifts at 6400. I can tell when the window cuts it off but this is doing early in the rpms.

Nitro Dave somehow it cracked on the back of the gauge. I got to get a new gauge and tie into my line. Do Yall have something like that I can order?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you ran out of nitrous and just blowing air.

Pull the hose off the bottle and crack it open, there should be anywhere from 2 to 5 foot of white spraying out of the bottle., if its clear or a couple inches of white, your out of Nitrous.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Or you could just weigh the bottle...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

My window switch is set to cut off at 6300 and it shifts at 6400. I can tell when the window cuts it off but this is doing early in the rpms.

Nitro Dave somehow it cracked on the back of the gauge. I got to get a new gauge and tie into my line. Do Yall have something like that I can order?
Try a 6600 or 6700 setting on the window switch and see if does it still. I had very similar problems you are describing, turns out my converter was just a little loose for how much I was spraying.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Yes sir. We will have anything you need. Does your gauge screw into an adapter fitting or did it screw into the bottle valve?

As to the windowswitch I would raise the cut off point but make sure its a few 100 rpms below the rev limiter...

Dave
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mr. Dave it screwed into the bottle. I wouldnt mind one that went into the line. If I got another gauge that screwed into the bottle i would lose the full bottle of nitrous I have now.

Would to much bottle pressure cause the cutting in and out? Reason I ask I left the bottle sitting in the sun for alittle bit and then when I put it in my car I also turned the bottle heater on. It was a nice day around 65. When I did have a gauge and could keep an eye on the pressure, what little bit I sprayed it seemed to work fine. What I am trying to say is only thing Ive changed from previous time I sprayed was plugs and I dont have a gauge.

Mr Dave if you could leave me a link on what to order I will send some funds. Its just a -4 line

Last edited by key4; 03-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
8 Second Club

Would to much bottle pressure cause the cutting in and out? Reason I ask I left the bottle sitting in the sun for alittle bit and then when I put it in my car I also turned the bottle heater on.
In a word....yes!

If you allow pressure to go above 1050 psig, you can get erratic results.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Get a gauge on it and get your bottle pressure about 950 and it will feel like a different car. I picked up 10mph on a 150 shot.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to agree with above comments. Even at 850psi my car is not impressive at all but as soon as I get it to 900-950psi its a different car.

Quick Reply: nitrous problem