Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I check my N2O solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default How do I check my N2O solenoid?

Car the car running decently at the track last night NA. But when I made two N2O runs, the car was very rich (.950-.960), and it felt like it was surging a bit. I started to think my N2O solenoid was chattering or malfunctioning somehow.

Is there some way I can check it for proper operation?

I only gained 6-tenths with a 150-shot. Something is wrong, I just need to track it down.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do I check my N2O solenoid?

If I remember right, you just went with a new TNT kit right? If so are you sure there is good bottle pressure, clean Nitrous Filter and such.

As far as checking the selenoid, I know you can arm the system with the N2O bottle closed and trip the WOT switch by hand and you should hear the selenoid click (You have to bypass the window switch if installed) this will tell you that it is opening and closing. It will do nothing as far as the quality and quantity of N2O spray.

Is it a new kit? If not, double check the jettings with Tony at TNT, I bought a used kit and had a few bugs to work out getting the jet sizes right as there are a few different variables which determine jet size.

6/10ths out of a 150 shot is not good, maybe rebuild the selenoid to be sure.... Hope this helps.........
Old 01-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Brand new kit. I opened up the filter today and found quite a bit of crap in there. Cleaned it all out. I'll see if she does better.

I already checked the noid the way you mentioned, and no issues with it clicking and staying open, so hoping the filter was the issue.

Thanks!
Todd
Old 01-07-2002, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a few things for you:
N2O filter
Nitrous pressure-at least 900psi
Window switch wiring
FPSS wiring
You can test the noids by running the engine at like 2k rpm and hit the WOT by hand with N2O bottle open.The engine should rev up when doing this.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

good chance all the crap you found was it. i have found my filter to get full of crap again about every 15 bottles. check if REGULARLY. if that isnt a problem and you've elimitated all of the above mentioned things by the others in this post have mentioned, go over ALL your electrical grounds within your new nitrous system. make sure all terminal lugs are adequately crimped or soldered and secure to a GOOD, KNOWN ground. i have a C5 and it was very difficult finding grounds within the car. i dont know if it is the same with F bodies. much of my install time involves creating adequate grounds for the system. it pays off well.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also I forgot, you can wire up an LED that will lite when the noids are spraying. You could wire it in and see when you run if it flashes or whatnot. I have one for my whole system, but you might be able to isolate each noid.

I think the filter was the deal...