Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diablosport and nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diablosport and nitrous?

Hey guys i just got my nitrous wired up and gonna spray it here pretty soon. just curious if anyone is running the diablosport predator tuner on the diablo tune with nitrous? i currently have it jetted for a 75 shot but planning on possibly going up to a 100 shot. i heard the ds predator adds a lil timing. any ideas on how it would run or if it would be safe to run it on the diablo tune?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be a negative, ghostrider.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
That would be a negative, ghostrider.
What 87 silver bullet said. Don't do it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Not a good idea buddy, My friend is replacing his motor now because of this. He thought he could play with the tune with the diablo but it obviously didnt work out well for him. NO NO
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Damn, glad I asked before I blew it up. Thanks guys. Anyone know why it don't work? Just curious.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98chevyz71
Damn, glad I asked before I blew it up. Thanks guys. Anyone know why it don't work? Just curious.
its a handheld tuner

do it right and take it to a reputable tuner, if no one is close by: mail it to frost
Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98chevyz71
A handheld tuner advances timing to run better on the motor. When you are spraying nitrous you want to retard the timing because events are happening faster.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Bunch of misinformation here, but thats pretty common when it comes to handhelds it seems.

First, there is nothing unsafe about our preloaded tunes.
Second, the Predator has more adjustability than any handheld, offering the ability to adjust timing at WOT in addition to many other things.

If you are planning to spray it, pull a few degrees of timing out and enjoy. Not sure how anyones motor could have blown up from using a handheld with N20 unless they were making stupid tuning choices. I guarantee it had nothing to do with the Predator or tunes themselves. His motor would have likely blown up no matter what he was tuning with.

If you guys have any questions regarding our products, ask me first, before succumbing to internet hearsay

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
its a handheld tuner

do it right and take it to a reputable tuner, if no one is close by: mail it to frost
I'm not picking on you, but I have to ask...

Also, i have nothing against Frost, he is an excellent tuner and his reputation speaks for itself around here.

but...how would sending your PCM to someone likely in another state, serve better than having a piece of tuning hardware in your hands? And we're talking about a N2O tune here, so unless you were suggesting his dual flash chip, why send your PCM to someone for a specific N2O tune when you use the nitrous about 1% of the time in a street car? You'd be leaving quite a bit on the table when not spraying. having a handheld like a Predator gives you the ability to not only edit the tune for simple changes, but you can datalog (cant do that with an pcm that was sent out), and read and clear trouble codes, in addition to other features of the tools.

I know when I sprayed my car, I liked to lower the shift points a bit with the stock trans, and being able to do all of that on the side of the road with no laptop made for a lot more fun with my streetcar

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Bunch of misinformation here, but thats pretty common when it comes to handhelds it seems.

First, there is nothing unsafe about our preloaded tunes.
Second, the Predator has more adjustability than any handheld, offering the ability to adjust timing at WOT in addition to many other things.

If you are planning to spray it, pull a few degrees of timing out and enjoy. Not sure how anyones motor could have blown up from using a handheld with N20 unless they were making stupid tuning choices. I guarantee it had nothing to do with the Predator or tunes themselves. His motor would have likely blown up no matter what he was tuning with.

If you guys have any questions regarding our products, ask me first, before succumbing to internet hearsay

Thanks

1.Did you ask the OP what tune was he running in his car? The canned tune or did he adjust it himself?

2. Do your canned tunes advance timing in any way? If so, you know what that means for a newbie spraying.

3. How much timing can be removed by using a Diablosport predator?

4. I can't really name no one on this forum that is hitting their car with a decent shot that is using a Diablosport Predator.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
1.Did you ask the OP what tune was he running in his car? The canned tune or did he adjust it himself?

2. Do your canned tunes advance timing in any way? If so, you know what that means for a newbie spraying.

3. How much timing can be removed by using a Diablosport predator?

4. I can't really name no one on this forum that is hitting their car with a decent shot that is using a Diablosport Predator.
rofl...did you ask any of those questions before throwing out the 'negative ghostrider comment?

Didn't think so

At least my answer comes with some explanation...

1. Its up to the user to make smart choices, if your argument is for him to buy HPt or EFI live, he has WAY more chance of getting into trouble with one of them as opposed to a simple handheld.

2. Yes, they do in many cases, but, there are adjustments to allow for dialing it in as needed.

3. More that you'd need for any shot of N20, pretty sure it will let you pull at least 10* at WOT.

4. Thats fine...lol. Doesn't mean it won't work.

I'll bring this up again...in the Ford and HEMI markets, handhelds are THE way to tune. Every big power HEMI on the planet has a Predator or Trinity that is being used to flash the vehicle and make tune changes, and it works GREAT. Just because you are not familiar with it, or dont see a bunch of people on this forum using it, does not by any means say that it will not work.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
rofl...did you ask any of those questions before throwing out the 'negative ghostrider comment?

Didn't think so

At least my answer comes with some explanation...

1. Its up to the user to make smart choices, if your argument is for him to buy HPt or EFI live, he has WAY more chance of getting into trouble with one of them as opposed to a simple handheld.

2. Yes, they do in many cases, but, there are adjustments to allow for dialing it in as needed.

3. More that you'd need for any shot of N20, pretty sure it will let you pull at least 10* at WOT.

4. Thats fine...lol. Doesn't mean it won't work.

I'll bring this up again...in the Ford and HEMI markets, handhelds are THE way to tune. Every big power HEMI on the planet has a Predator or Trinity that is being used to flash the vehicle and make tune changes, and it works GREAT. Just because you are not familiar with it, or dont see a bunch of people on this forum using it, does not by any means say that it will not work.

Thanks
First it was a nicer way to say put it back in the box you got it out of and sell it if you can.

My argument would have been to put the stock tune back in and get a timing tuner to pull timing accordingly to the shot size.

Then you are somewhat contradicting yourself. You say there is nothing unsafe about your canned tunes but we are in the nitrous section and you then say above ^^^it does advance timing. Well, that will for sure guarantee a newbie a fried engine. Because most will think its ok to use it with the timing advanced because 95% who use handhelds are newbies to racing and so forth and without knowing everything they will need to know they will most likely hurt something.

10* is not enough these days well I know not for me. Maybe you need to open that parameter up a little. Plus, alot of guys on here are street guys so they want the best of both worlds so they want to be able to switch back and forth from motor to spray timing. There is no handheld I know of that can switch back and forth on the fly.

Maybe there is a reason people don't use a Pred for tuning their big hit, big motor cars. They need more parameters to tune so hence the move to HPT or EFIlive. Its an easier on the fly process compared to a handheld to get some advanced tuning. I know Vseries-tech on here runs your stuff and makes big power. He still goes thru more processes to tune it than HPT. He also has FI so once he tunes it he is done. On a nitrous car alot of guys want to flip it back and forth.

Never said it won't work. I don't feel like taking the time to tell this guy how to go thru all the processes to pull timing with a Predator. Its easier to just get him an LNC 2000 and put it that way which is straight forward and changing the timing settings in 10 seconds.

As far as the hemi and ford guys. Their market is not as big as GM's with the tuning aspect. As a matter of fact show me some pump gas 8 sec cars in the Ford or Hemi world using a Predator. There are a bunch of LS cars in that range and they all use HPT of EFIlive. Some LS cars are even faster than that and still have the stock PCM tuned by HPT or EFI.

If their market is that good for you guys then thats good for you. It keeps you in business and we need to keep all our performance companies going to keep our hobby alive.

If you want to walk this guy thru all the processes of your product, be my guest. Tell him how to use your product in a safe and efficient manner. Makes sure he grows as an enthusiast and answer his every question. If he wants me to do the same he can pm me or post here. We have different opinions or getting the same result.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Im not a total noob... I have had the tuner for a while and did great with bolt ons. I know how to change timing on the tuner. Just wasn't sure how much I would have to pull. And wasnt sure if timing would be all id have to pull or if there were other parameters to mess with for it to be safe for my car. I currently have the car on the stock tune and it sucks. the predator made it a whole different car. Im not running a huge shot as of now, when I do jump up I will have the car dyno tuned. But for now im low on money and just trying to get my car going with what I got.

Quick Reply: diablosport and nitrous?