Sponsored by:

First Nitrous LS to the 4.70's!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Dude your car is going to fly!

It was what 3300 pounds when it went 5.09?

You have to weigh 2950 because of your heads right?
Yes, it was 3300 lbs. "Was" is the key word.

Down 450 lbs and still counting so far Plus numerous other changes.

Back to Justin and his dual 4.70 cars
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Thats very impressive on both cars! That nitrous car has hurt alot of people feelings over the years with all the wins and record et's.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMITH
There have been a lot of various changes over the last few years with the car. Their has been a great deal of weight taken out since the 5.07 in 2009. The car weighed 3150-3170 back then and Friday night was around 2870-2900. Im not 100% sure since I was never at the scales with it because I was driving my other car. There have been a lot of different things done to the motor to make it live with more nitrous and hopefully respond better to more nitrous. I ran the 4.79 on 2 stages and still have the 3rd to cut on. I had ran my previous best last year on 3 stages so I feel that our changes over the winter could have helped us. I cannot go into specifics but some head work was done, cam changed and new headers were built over the winter. I have put a lot of test time into this combination and we race at a very competitive level so I can't just give out to much direct information. I am willing to help anyone with their program tho.
Thanks for the info. Im sure you were working very hard to get the car to run 5.0's, and to get down to the 4.7 is impressive. Prior to the changes that you made to the motor this year to help the motor live on nitrous, how many issues did you have? Have you burned anything up in the past few years?

I am in the process of converting my SB2.2 nitrous motor from carb to EFI and dry nitrous, and am hoping it will help with some of the fuel distribution problems I have had in the past.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
8 Second Club

That is rediculas Justin. Good job.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Congrads !

Both cars are top notch.
Thanks Wayne, now get yalls back together! You got 2 weeks till Door Wars.

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Wow I thought you only had 2 stages of nitrous I didn't know you were spraying 3 kits or even had 3 kits.

Are you using both sides of the fogger nozzle?

Do you think switching to a sheetmetal intake and 2x4150 would pick it up a lot and something you have thought about?
Yeah I spray dry thru both sides of one nozzle then there is a single nozzle under the intake. I have thought of going to a sheetmetal but can't justify the cost or the 50lb hit right now. It may end up coming to that sooner or later. We will be putting a new intake from All Pro on it in the near future to do some testing tho.
Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95
Congrats Again Justin!

I'm glad I have you helping me with my program again this year
Thanks Brian, Im looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by minytrker
Thats very impressive on both cars! That nitrous car has hurt alot of people feelings over the years with all the wins and record et's.
Thanks, its been a good car over the years. It has hurt my feeling a time or two also.

Originally Posted by foggedz
Thanks for the info. Im sure you were working very hard to get the car to run 5.0's, and to get down to the 4.7 is impressive. Prior to the changes that you made to the motor this year to help the motor live on nitrous, how many issues did you have? Have you burned anything up in the past few years?

I am in the process of converting my SB2.2 nitrous motor from carb to EFI and dry nitrous, and am hoping it will help with some of the fuel distribution problems I have had in the past.
I have hurt or broke everything you can inside the motor lol. Mainly I was having a problem burning the heads but hopefully that has been taken care of. I have never burned a piston but I have lifted ring lands, pinched rings and messed the skirts up. It would take forever to tell you everything I have hurt at one time or another.

Good luck with your sb2.2 stuff. They are very finicky with nitrous. EFI will give you more tuning capabilities but its still tricky with that motor when you get to trying to make big power.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMITH
I have hurt or broke everything you can inside the motor lol. Mainly I was having a problem burning the heads but hopefully that has been taken care of. I have never burned a piston but I have lifted ring lands, pinched rings and messed the skirts up. It would take forever to tell you everything I have hurt at one time or another.

Good luck with your sb2.2 stuff. They are very finicky with nitrous. EFI will give you more tuning capabilities but its still tricky with that motor when you get to trying to make big power.
I hope EFI will help the motor live. IMO carburetors have been holding back nitrous motor for some time. The consistency you can get from cylinder to cylinder with EFI is hard to duplicate with a carb. I think the heads on your motor, and some of these new canted valve LS heads that have come out would work similar to SB2.2 heads. They both have similar intake valve angles, and very efficient combustion chambers.

Do you have any more pictures of the new forward facing scoop that is on the car? How much ET do you think it is worth compared to no scoop at all?

Last edited by foggedz; 04-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

Look into having the chambers softened.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Look into having the chambers softened.
I had the chambers softened this winter at RFD. I hope it helps the motor live.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Looks good, that will help some with them so timing sensitive.
The chambers on our Mozez heads have almost no quench pad at all and they need ALOT more timing than our old C5R stuff did.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: First Nitrous LS to the 4.70's!