Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Make a Timing Retard Box for a Nitrous Oxide system...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOW TO use this box without using or having HPT... See below post for examples...

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Still all in all, everybody who talks about how cheap this is to do, don't ever include the cost of buying HPT or EFI live. You have to think about the guy who has nothing at all and is starting from scratch. Which route do you think he is going to go?

The only good thing I see from this is having multi stage retard for multiple shots.

Ugh......Re-read the last part of my original HOW TO: post. You will notice that I mention there being an alternate option for those who don't have access to HPT, EFILive or other tuning solution. Look in the G8 IAT Spark Tables and you will see that it also pulls -3* spark at 113*F and pulls -5* at 122*F. The Multiplier table for these corresponding cells requests roughly about 75% across the RPM range which means -2.25* spark being pulled for the -3* figure in the main IAT Spark Table and 3.75* timing being pulled for the -5* figure in the main IAT Spark Table. So as long as you can get someone to send you the screen shots of what your vehicle's tune looks like in this area then you will have all of the information to be able to make the box according to what temperature cell you need to reference and also what resistance equates to that from the IATS. That would be a way to accomplish this, although not as cleanly in my book, without ever changing the existing tune in the vehicle.

Besides, you don't have to own HPT or EFILive to do this in the tune. Chances are likely that if you are spraying nitrous that you also have some boltons. This means that you should already have a N/A tune. When you have your tuner finalizing your N/A tune you can show them this thread with the above screenshots and request that they take the 3 minutes to change these settings to whatever you prefer. So 3 minutes x roughly $100/hr labor charge equates to roughly $5. Not exactly breaking the bank is it.

I didn't really think I had to lay it out this far for the skeptics. Use your own creativity and there are many options you can have with this item based on what capabilities and tools you do or don't have.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just use a rheostat and mount it in the car? Then you don't need the switch or the two different resistors and you can change the resistance to whatever you want depending on what your doing.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JLE58
Why not just use a rheostat and mount it in the car? Then you don't need the switch or the two different resistors and you can change the resistance to whatever you want depending on what your doing.
As I have mentioned no less than 4 times now.....there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you want to do some sort of potentiometer setup for adjustable resistance then that is another way to do it. I personally do not prefer that way since the stops for the different resistance values aren't tapped like what they would be for a multi-position switch with varying resistors coming off of it. With the switch you can see and feel the clicks easier and know exactly what resistance value you are at and thus in turn know what amount of spark retard you should be at too. That is just my preference but I am sure others have different opinions on what they feel would work better for them.

If you do the rheostat,potentiometer, or anything else you still want to have it activate into the IATS circuit by some sort of switch and relay, whether that be the master arm or other, so that when you are normally driving then the ECM is still able to pull unmodified data from the IATS itself.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

grounding out the coolant temp sensor is way easier imo

but great write up none the less and gives another way of doing things. +1 for sticky
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
grounding out the coolant temp sensor is way easier imo

but great write up none the less and gives another way of doing things. +1 for sticky
True it is easier. I just prefer the adjustability.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

cool stuff
Old 07-19-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

I bet if you made these you could easily sell them to guys not wanting to do the work. put them in the $50-$75 range with a connector that plugs into the iat sensor on both ends.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
I bet if you made these you could easily sell them to guys not wanting to do the work. put them in the $50-$75 range with a connector that plugs into the iat sensor on both ends.

id buy one for $50 bucks.im about to get my car tuned after my plate kit install and my tuner asked me if i wanted and n/a tune or a nitrous tune.i guess imma gonna get the nitrous tune. but with this device i am assuming i could run maximum timing advance and then when im at the track i could retard the timing 4* or so and be safe,rather than running around town 4* retarded all the time.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

If trying to wire up different amounts of timing pulled for two different stages of nitrous, would this wiring work?

Name:  IMAG0464.jpg
Views: 21984
Size:  62.4 KB

I understand that the timing tables need to be adjusted via HPTuners.

I got the ohm numbers from this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/12990137-post2.html
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS.666
If trying to wire up different amounts of timing pulled for two different stages of nitrous, would this wiring work?

I understand that the timing tables need to be adjusted via HPTuners.

I got the ohm numbers from this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/12990137-post2.html

You got it. Good job on the diagram. Just make sure that you test your actual ohms of resistance since resistors are rated for a range of accuracy of resistance. A 100k resistor may actually resist only 95k or so on. Then since you have HPT datalog your "IAT" with the switches in their various stages to ensure that your ECM is seeing what it should so that you know it will be using the corresponding column of the IAT spark tables. It looks like you are well on your way.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Just want to say thanks for the write up appreciate the time it took you. Just got hp tuners and installing nitrous on the car as we speek big help. Sticky material alot of people new to nitrous have probably never seen this
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

OK I dont know much about resistors so would a 4.7k ohm .5 watt resistor work for the 5k ohm .5 resistor that is needed for this project?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would be a nice addition is a multiple input so more than one stage can be used. IE fixed resistance for each system once armed.

Arm stage one, have it pull say 3* in temp cells -4
Arm stage two and have it pull say 8* in temp cells -40

This would work better in my application where I won't be on both stages out of the hole.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LIL SS
What would be a nice addition is a multiple input so more than one stage can be used. IE fixed resistance for each system once armed.

Arm stage one, have it pull say 3* in temp cells -4
Arm stage two and have it pull say 8* in temp cells -40

This would work better in my application where I won't be on both stages out of the hole.
Unless i am misunderstanding what your meaning is, then ws666 and i have already discussed this earlier. He posted a wiring diagram too. His wiring diagram assumes the stages are additive though. The wiring would have to be modified a little bit if you have stage 1 deactivate when stage 2 activates. Most people run their multistage systems in an additive configuration.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jallen100
OK I dont know much about resistors so would a 4.7k ohm .5 watt resistor work for the 5k ohm .5 resistor that is needed for this project?
Bumping this, i have the same question
Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scarybowtie
Bumping this, i have the same question
Sorry for the late reply! Been getting divorced and ****. lol.

Chances are likely that you will have a digital multimeter when doing the wiring for this project. Set it to test ohms of resistance Ω and then verify what actual resistance you get out of your resistors. Remember, that just like anything else in life there is a standard deviation that the resistors are rated to, within the area of their claimed resistance. So even though you buy a 100k ohm resistor and it has a +/- 3% rating, you may probe its actual resistance and discover is only has 97k ohms of resistance or something else within 3% above or below the rated amount. Just make sure to meet or exceed the resistance value of the cell of the spark table you are working in so that you know you will be referencing the correct table to pull the amount of timing you want to pull. It would suck to assume that the car is pulling 4 degrees of spark when it is actually only pulling 2 because actual resistance of your home-built resistor pack didn't add up to enough to hit whatever IAT spark cell column you are trying to hit. If you really want to be sure then a quick 20 second datalog will do the trick to verify everything reads kosher.

Last edited by rocket5979; 12-06-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry about thethe big D, been thereyou done that. Thanks for the reply, i was unsure so i drove to a hobby shop about 30 miles away and got the right one. The box is done and on and is pulling the timing perfectly. Thanks for the write up!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scarybowtie
Sorry about thethe big D, been thereyou done that. Thanks for the reply, i was unsure so i drove to a hobby shop about 30 miles away and got the right one. The box is done and on and is pulling the timing perfectly. Thanks for the write up!
I am glad to hear this thread is helping people.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this may be a little old, but you do realize you guys are over complicating this right? the box and resistor etc are not necessary. if the IAT (or ECT whichever you choose) circuit is broken, the PCM defaults out to the max coldest value (-40 IAT, -38 ECT). you cna just hook up a 5 pole relay with the singal wire going to the load in wire and the normally closed contact. then trigger the relay off your WOT switch to break the circuit and deafault it to the -40 table, and do your nitrous tune on the -40 IAT table like you showed. same results, just simpler way of going about it. I accidentally discovered this when dealing with wiring issues on my 5.3 swap
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badhombre
this may be a little old, but you do realize you guys are over complicating this right? the box and resistor etc are not necessary. if the IAT (or ECT whichever you choose) circuit is broken, the PCM defaults out to the max coldest value (-40 IAT, -38 ECT). you cna just hook up a 5 pole relay with the singal wire going to the load in wire and the normally closed contact. then trigger the relay off your WOT switch to break the circuit and deafault it to the -40 table, and do your nitrous tune on the -40 IAT table like you showed. same results, just simpler way of going about it. I accidentally discovered this when dealing with wiring issues on my 5.3 swap

There is more than one way to skin a cat; and your reservations about the methodry for this mod have already been answered in detail previously in this thread. Whether you use the more complicated method, outlined in this thread, or not completely depends on how you want to set your spark timing retard. This especially holds true for multistage nitrous equipped cars where you may prefer to have different spark retardation settings for each stage. So, in short, no my method is not "too complicated" depending on the application.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Make a Timing Retard Box for a Nitrous Oxide system...