Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lt1 bogs on 100 shot

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the blow down tube for if the bottle goes over the PSI? Wouldn't it just bleed off the extra pressure? Or is it a one time deal. It blows the pressure off the bottle is done for?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zackyv55146
pressure is alil over 700 and its 66 degrees here and the bottle isnt warm at all

Yep there is your problem!!!

Your low bottle pressure is making your tune-up extremely rich and thus why it is bogging.

You need to get a torch at the very least and get it up to 950psi and purge it down to 925-900 on the line or before you use it for optimal results and repeatability.

Best thing to do is get a bottle warmer. Mine is so easy to use I just flip it on get it to around 950 and head to the lanes. Once I do my burnout and pull foward right before I light the first staging light I purge my nitrous down to 925-900 as I said before and leave the warmer on.

Once I make my pass and cross the line I turn the warmer off, close the valve turn the activation off and purge the remaining nitrous out of the lines to the atmosphere.

That should always be your routine when you use your nitrous.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Isn't the blow down tube for if the bottle goes over the PSI? Wouldn't it just bleed off the extra pressure? Or is it a one time deal. It blows the pressure off the bottle is done for?
The blow down tube is attached to a pressure disk on the one of the bottles ports.

Once it ruptures it empties the entire bottle via the blown down tube which will be routed outside the vehicle pointing towards the ground.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k sweet thank u guys u were alot of help and get on a warmer for sure
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zackyv55146
k sweet thank u guys u were alot of help and get on a warmer for sure
That is what we are here for.

If you can always provide as much info as possible you will find 9/10 the guys in this section can help you figure out what is wrong.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So its done if it ruptures? Or can you replace the disk? Cause I've seen pictures of cars where the bottle exploded in some Trans Am, needless to say the back half of the car was ****ed.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

The burst disc is supposed to blow and relieve pressure at a set point (2000psi?) I think it is ?

That TA had the disc plugged ? or something....or so I read somewhere ????
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doug G
The burst disc is supposed to blow and relieve pressure at a set point (2000psi?) I think it is ?

That TA had the disc plugged ? or something....or so I read somewhere ????
The one in my 15lb NO bottle says 3000psi, my old Nos Sniper bottle I got dirt cheap has a 3000psi burst disc in it also.

I'd bet though there are other burst discs that rupture at a lower pressure.

To do all that the disc had to not been operational or even in one of the bottle ports.

If you don't have the disc in there the only place for it to go is to blow the handle off the top of the bottle.

Nitrous doesn't explode either, fuel does! The MASSIVE pressure release is what blew the hatch off that trans am.

That's why you have the disc in case it happens the bottle is still good, just put a new disc in it.

I have heard of holes being left in concrete when a disc ruptures and relieves the pressure via the blown down tube pointed at the ground.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Hell if you look close at the top of the bottle in the hatch area the handle is blown slap off the bottle!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You''ll never believe this, so i run into a bike on the freeway and say F it ill downshift and go for it. I notice that i stop his pull after a couple of seconds and im gaining on him, then i pass him and reach speeds of 140mph. So this is what im getting at, i noticed when i was racing him the car wasnt accelerating fast at all and my A/F the last second of the race i looked down and it was 10's, im like WTF. I have a fresh fill on the bottle, when i left work i was at 900psi so what happened. So i check my bottle pressure when i get home and its 1450PSI yes 1450PSI, lolllll. Im like how the F did this happen. Ive never seen it on a cold day get this high ever.

The only thing i can come up with is i was stuck in alot of traffic and with the bottle heater on, on top of a full bottle caused this to happen. I immediatly pulled the bottle and drained a little out to get the pressure down. I was shocked that my solenoid still works and nothing else happened. This is a wake up that i NEED to get a pillar and mount a bottle pressure gauge up front were i can see it all the time.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Yep there is your problem!!!

You need to get a torch at the very least and get it up to 950psi and purge it down to 925-900 on the line or before you use it for optimal results and repeatability.
I read that using the torch method is a huge no-no for safety reasons.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TSAEB
I read that using the torch method is a huge no-no for safety reasons.
Yea and so is drag racing at the speeds we race at.

I understand the risk, but I've seen plenty of racers use a torch.

Besides N2O in itself isn't combustible.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

3000psi...thanks for the correction.

Torching the bottle the wrong way leaves heat stress cracks and the bottle "could" rupture.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The one in my 15lb NO bottle says 3000psi, my old Nos Sniper bottle I got dirt cheap has a 3000psi burst disc in it also.

I'd bet though there are other burst discs that rupture at a lower pressure.

To do all that the disc had to not been operational or even in one of the bottle ports.

If you don't have the disc in there the only place for it to go is to blow the handle off the top of the bottle.

Nitrous doesn't explode either, fuel does! The MASSIVE pressure release is what blew the hatch off that trans am.

That's why you have the disc in case it happens the bottle is still good, just put a new disc in it.

I have heard of holes being left in concrete when a disc ruptures and relieves the pressure via the blown down tube pointed at the ground.

Nitrous isnt flamable, that doesn't mean a nitrous bottle cant explode??? Torches on bottles = playing with fire. Again, because you risk blowing up the bottle and weaking it with open flame, not to mention the fact you have an open flame....

Bottle heater, or even a heat blanket or something.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Yea torches and bottles are a big no no in my book because I know of a guy was killed from a bottle exploding and the rupture blew the valve right into his heart all because he was heating a bottle with a torch
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Jesus christ guys I have a damn bottle heater on my bottle. If you want to give a safety lesson then start a new thread!

I was giving him options!

I have seen guys go 4.50's-4.90's for years using a torch and never had a bottle explode! Common sense tells you to heat the damn thing evenly!

I'm sorry that sounded a little harsh.

If you will re-read what I said, I said and I quote, "At the VERY LEAST, get a torch" meaning if you can't afford a bottle heater right now use a torch. Not saying it's the greatest, safest and best way to do it, it works in a pinch though.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jesus christ guys I have a damn bottle heater on my bottle. If you want to give a safety lesson then start a new thread!

I have seen guys go 4.50's-4.90's for years using a torch and never had a bottle explode! Common sense tells you to heat the damn thing evenly!

If you will re-read what I said, I said and I quote, "At the VERY LEAST, get a torch" meaning if you can't afford a bottle heater right now use a torch. Not saying it's the greatest, safest and best way to do it, it works in a pinch though.
I think you guys are a bit tuff on Fbodyjunkie06, im sure there has been many people who have used a torch on there bottle's wether some admit it or not. I have in the past, im not now but still have it in my trunk. If you heat the bottle evenly as mentioned and NOT torch the crap out of the bottle in one area youll be fine if your doing it once in a while if its a cold day with really low bottle pressure. He isnt saying it to do it on a daily bases or make it a routine out of it. In the end its still a risk your taking regardless just with anything dont overdue it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Dont take it harsh. No way trashing you.

Quick Reply: lt1 bogs on 100 shot