Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing and Nitrous Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing and Nitrous Question

Alright... Putting the nitrous on the car. Car is a solid roller MTI 422. Has a intank pump, T-Rex Inline, and 30lb Injectors. Putting a NX kit back on it and pilling it at 250.. Fuel wise I should be fine???? ...not going to drain the rails am i? Im going to be running 110 octane in it. I will be doing a seperate fuel system later.

Also as a general rule of thumb how much timing should I pull out? I was thinking 6-8" its got about 28-29 in it right now. It is tuned for motor, but Im going to use a knock out box to remove some timing.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
8 Second Club

ttt??
Old 04-05-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

2 degrees for every 50... to start... and that is from the point of max timing with no detonation... basically if u can run your car at 32 degrees ( for example ) with the plugs lookin cherry no signs of det. then pull 10 degrees ... run ur run... check ur plugs if no det. u can add another 2... run again... etc...

you might run into fuelin problems going through stock fuel lines... pump wise your fine but the stock fuel lines might not be enough to hold up to it all
Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was also from the old school of "2 degrees for every 50 HP", however after having some issues running my TNT F1 w/150 jets (in car WB was pig rich and I burned up 4 O2 sensors) at 6 degrees retarded I called TNT's tech dept. I was told that due to the design of their nozzles and the efficiency with which the nitrous and the fuel mix and atomize they recommended 1 degree of retard for every 100 HP. I was skeptical but I gave it a shot (well I went a little safer and took out 3 degrees) and had zero knock retard on pump gas (93). Go figure???

I guess it boils down to what you are comfortable w/ so long as you have zero knock.