Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Dyno test a progressive nitrous controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Dyno test a progressive nitrous controller

I posted this on CF too, but I know there are a Ton of big nitrous guys on here. Hoping to get some insight

Im looking for actual data/proof that the progressive controllers work like they claim.
I've read before that standard solenoids and lines don't do well with actually being able to control the flow into the engine

I have an fjo 2 stage mini controller and I've used it before but never Dyno tested it.

I'd like to see someone with 200 shot jets and controlling it down to a 50 shot or 100 shot.

I know people say they can feel the difference and have gotten better traction at the track, but say on a 50% to 100% ramp over 6 seconds, at 3 seconds will it really be at 75%
Also an afr graph would be nice too.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Do they work? Well an awful lot of 7 second radial tire guys seem think so.

Will it work they way you want? I guess that will depend on how much time you put into tweaking and tuning your set up.

I think one of the problems is when using it on a small jetting with large solenoids. One of the nitrous guys on the bullet put it like this: (paraphrasing)
The controllers pulse the solenoids, so the % will be in relation to the solenoid size, not the size of the jet. So if you have a big shot solenoid that flows 400HP worth of nitrous, 50% settings will be in relation to the 400HP of the solenoid, not the jets in your kit.

So, if you are after a 50HP shot out of the hole, you would want to start at 12% even if your jetting is only 150HP because 12% of 400 is 50 (with big shot solenoids).

I am about to install a progressive kit myself, but only intend to run a 150 shot. I am actually thinking about purchasing some smaller Super Powershot solenoids just so the progressive works better for my low HP level.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

As far as I've always understood, nitrous controllers weren't really designed to be run at 50% or any other partial setting for the duration of the pass. They were more designed to ramp in and out of full jet, not to create partial jets.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by gillbot
As far as I've always understood, nitrous controllers weren't really designed to be run at 50% or any other partial setting for the duration of the pass. They were more designed to ramp in and out of full jet, not to create partial jets.
That is correct. But neither of us are referring to a full pass at a partial setting.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

I think it would be hard to get a good read on everything unless it was a load bearing dyno.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Launching!

im lookin for a progressive controller for my 2010 camaro, what one do u guys recommend , not to take over the post but just figured u all would know. im lookin to have like a 75 shot in like 1st gear then have it 150 thur the others and ramp it up in 2nd. is that possible?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by dekan513
im lookin for a progressive controller for my 2010 camaro, what one do u guys recommend , not to take over the post but just figured u all would know. im lookin to have like a 75 shot in like 1st gear then have it 150 thur the others and ramp it up in 2nd. is that possible?
NOS launcher will do that, but it is pricey.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostinsidewayz
I posted this on CF too, but I know there are a Ton of big nitrous guys on here. Hoping to get some insight

Im looking for actual data/proof that the progressive controllers work like they claim.
I've read before that standard solenoids and lines don't do well with actually being able to control the flow into the engine

I have an fjo 2 stage mini controller and I've used it before but never Dyno tested it.

I'd like to see someone with 200 shot jets and controlling it down to a 50 shot or 100 shot.

I know people say they can feel the difference and have gotten better traction at the track, but say on a 50% to 100% ramp over 6 seconds, at 3 seconds will it really be at 75%
Also an afr graph would be nice too.
I can't help wondering why you would want a progressive program to
pulse you solenoids for 6 seconds. Opening/closing a solenoid, at a
high rate, for an extended time, is not a recommended practice.
Typical programs are 100% in much less time, less detrimental to the solenoids.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
NOS launcher will do that, but it is pricey.
.......and solenoid seat life, will likely be short.

Quick Reply: Anyone Dyno test a progressive nitrous controller