Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check my plugs from track today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Check my plugs from track today.

Ran a 55 jet at the track today. The car picked up a full second and I think the plugs look great. Let's have your thoughts:

Old 10-21-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless they were fresh plugs, then one pass and shut down on the return road and pulled, they are no good to read.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
unless they were fresh plugs, then one pass and shut down on the return road and pulled, they are no good to read.
Thats the deal
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel looks great, looks like you could get away with a little more timing to me.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by streetknight2
Fuel looks great, looks like you could get away with a little more timing to me.
That was 21 degrees total on VP100 unleaded.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

I would add timing, baby steps, 1 degree at a time, keeping check on plugs till MPH starts to drop back off. Killer ride man.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Old School Heavy

It actually exceeded my expectations to day. I was looking for a 10.7 at 125 at best. Picking up 140 horse on a 55 jet really surprised me.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What fuel jets? What fuel pressure? What is your base timing that you are pulling from? How much are you pulling?

Fuel ring looks pretty good for initial jetting, you could stand to clean it up some though.

If you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the nitrous fuel enrichment then take .5psi out of it along with a degree or two of timing and see if it picks up.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
What fuel jets? What fuel pressure? What is your base timing that you are pulling from? How much are you pulling?

Fuel ring looks pretty good for initial jetting, you could stand to clean it up some though.

If you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the nitrous fuel enrichment then take .5psi out of it along with a degree or two of timing and see if it picks up.
Hey Martin,

The tune is:
55n
47f
5.5 pound fuel pressure flowing with a 64 by pass jet in the flow tool.
21 degrees timing locked

On pump gas I run 27 total. Sunday I ran mostly VP-100. On the VP-100 it picked up about .5 MPH by moving up to 29 degrees timing.

I set the progressive to give roughly 40 HP on the hit and all in by the 60'.

It is a cheater plate with a big shot nitrous solenoid and cheater fuel solenoid.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

it does look as if you could add a little timing into the set up. Fuel is looking pretty good for an initial tune up
Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Hey Martin,

The tune is:
55n
47f
5.5 pound fuel pressure flowing with a 64 by pass jet in the flow tool.
21 degrees timing locked

On pump gas I run 27 total. Sunday I ran mostly VP-100. On the VP-100 it picked up about .5 MPH by moving up to 29 degrees timing.

I set the progressive to give roughly 40 HP on the hit and all in by the 60'.

It is a cheater plate with a big shot nitrous solenoid and cheater fuel solenoid.
So you're pulling 8 degrees or 6 degrees?

Drop the FP down to 5.25 and take 1 more degree out and get a reading on the plugs then.

If you like what you see, and heat looks as it does now, add a degree back into it and watch the MPH and e.t. increments at each point on the track to see if it responds positively to the change. Don't get caught up in the , "put the timing mark in the bend rule". Run what the car wants, not what an internet rule says. You'll know if it likes it or not by the increments on the slip. Of course use common sense here and continue to watch the plugs when making these changes. A lot of times on a given tune-up the car will run the same e.t./mph with a degree or two less timing, and if it will do that, then of course you'll want to keep it on a lesser amount of timing while running the same e.t./mph as you did on more timing.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Old School Heavy

So you're pulling 8 degrees or 6 degrees.
Here is how it went:

21 degrees timing locked

So, compared to pump gas, I pulled 6. But compared to my best on motor pass with the VP-100 on the same day in the same weather I pulled 8.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

I would try 20 total and knock .25 psi out of the regulator and see what it does. If it runs the same take more timing out of it until it slows down, then put it back into it one degree at a time while still cleaning the fuel ring up until it stops picking up mph and e.t. Once it stops picking up, take a degree back out of it and if it runs the same number you know it's happy there. You might even take another degree out and see if it still mph the same. Basically you want as little timing in the motor that will still run the number you're after. This is all the while reading the plugs and being diligent with checking at least each corner of the motor on your plug reading.

Go from there until the fuel ring is just a faint haze of a line. A stone white fuel ring IMO is too lean, you want just a slight smokey haze, and I mean slight slight shadow.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich and will take another degree.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Old School Heavy

I would add timing, baby steps, 1 degree at a time, keeping check on plugs till MPH starts to drop back off. Killer ride man.
Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
it does look as if you could add a little timing into the set up. Fuel is looking pretty good for an initial tune up
I would try 20 total and knock .25 psi out of the regulator and see what it does. If it runs the same take more timing out of it until it slows down, then put it back into it one degree at a time while still cleaning the fuel ring up until it stops picking up mph and e.t. Once it stops picking up, take a degree back out of it and if it runs the same number you know it's happy there. You might even take another degree out and see if it still mph the same. Basically you want as little timing in the motor that will still run the number you're after. This is all the while reading the plugs and being diligent with checking at least each corner of the motor on your plug reading.

Go from there until the fuel ring is just a faint haze of a line. A stone white fuel ring IMO is too lean, you want just a slight smokey haze, and I mean slight slight shadow.
Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
Rich and will take another degree.
It will be a while before I tune more cuz I want to put axles in the car before I push my luck anymore. Also, I have no rollbar, so that makes it tough to rip off several mid 10 second passes in a row for testing.

Most said it could probably take more timing and be a little leaner. I am tempted to just up the nitrous jet from 55 to 57 and leave the timing and see how that looks although I know I will not learn what the car likes for tuning that way.

For additional info, the car was varying between 11.6 - 11.8 on the wideband during the pass.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

It will be a while before I tune more cuz I want to put axles in the car before I push my luck anymore. Also, I have no rollbar, so that makes it tough to rip off several mid 10 second passes in a row for testing.

Most said it could probably take more timing and be a little leaner. I am tempted to just up the nitrous jet from 55 to 57 and leave the timing and see how that looks although I know I will not learn what the car likes for tuning that way.

For additional info, the car was varying between 11.6 - 11.8 on the wideband during the pass.
Wow, that could be leaned up nearly a full point if not a full point.

I think the reason the fuel ring looks leaner than 11.6-11.8 would suggest is because you're running a -7 heat range plug.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Old School Heavy

Wow, that could be leaned up nearly a full point if not a full point.

I think the reason the fuel ring looks leaner than 11.6-11.8 would suggest is because you're running a -7 heat range plug.
When do you like to make the jump to -8 plugs?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

When do you like to make the jump to -8 plugs?
There really is no set in stone rule, the heat on the ground strap will tell you when it is time.

I think once you lean yours up into the low 12's AFR wise you will want to go to a -8 so that you can see the fuel ring more clearly.

I think that -7 plug is making your plug reading look cleaner than it would be on a colder plug. I'd rather run a colder plug with a leaner mixture and make more power with less timing than running with a hotter plug, richer mixture and more timing.

The leaner mixture, cooler plug and less timing seems to be more forgiving by not turning your motor into ashtrays.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Old School Heavy

There really is no set in stone rule, the heat on the ground strap will tell you when it is time.
How do you differentiate between heat on the strap due to the plug's heat range and the heat in the strap as a result of timing?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

How do you differentiate between heat on the strap due to the plug's heat range and the heat in the strap as a result of timing?
They directly correlate with one another. One is the same as the other, heat is heat.

Quick Reply: Check my plugs from track today.