Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrious Fittings - How Tight Is Too Tight??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002 | 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Default Nitrious Fittings - How Tight Is Too Tight??

I'm worried about busting something up by going to tight but it seems I need to!

Mostly on NPT connections. I put a good amount of teflon pipe dope on and tighten but it leaks! So I start cranking down . . . leaks a little less . . . cranking really hard now . . . little leak! How do you do this? I go frustrated one time and stopped work for a day. When I came back to it, no leak????? does the pipe dope need to harden??

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I now dread doing anything involving these fitting for fear of breaking something! I put an NX heater on my NOS bottle and the sender was leaking. I cranked so hard on it to get it to stop leaking that I BENT the 4AN section of the bottle cap!

Help!

Mark
Old 07-19-2002 | 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Nitrious Fittings - How Tight Is Too Tight??

If your using paste...you have to follow the directions to a T, which usually involves drying time to set up. Thats why I use teflon tape. If your very careful with the tape not to overlap too much of it so that it may get into a line and clog a filter or a solinoid...youll be ok. And you cannot keep tightening a NPT fitting...there is no "seat" for it to seal against like an AN fitting.
Old 07-19-2002 | 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Nitrious Fittings - How Tight Is Too Tight??

Thanks for the info! So, with NPT tighting is not the key to sealing?

Thanks!

Mark

Quick Reply: Nitrious Fittings - How Tight Is Too Tight??