Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best heads for a max effort stock bottom end nitrous car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynospeed
I take it as he wants to keep his compression down just a little compared to 62cc for possible future boost. Unless you are sure you are going FI in the next year I would go with the best combo especially if you are chasing the sbe record. Those prc as cast heads look very nice for the money but they are way more comparable to tfs 220 as cast heads. I would also be going down to 58-60cc chamber depending on the rest of your combo on the tfs225 heads with the nitrous exhaust port.
Going down to a 58-60cc chamber limits me on camshaft selection.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
So wait, you are going to build a max effort SBE motor, try to spray 400 at it, and not put a roll cage in it even?
I smell disaster..
Carry on..

FWIW the fastest nitrous stock cube ls1 runs Dart 225's that I ported in house.
I said 350-400. More leaning towards 350. If the record was in grasp by a very minimum margin then the shot might see that, but I highly doubt it.

I realize that not having a roll cage is dangerous. However, even with a roll cage one still assumes a risk. It is 100% street car that still has a/c and a stereo with intentions of keeping it a street car. More then likely it will probably end up with a small 6-8 point chromoly cage, but I'm still uncertain. Hell I'm still on a 4l60e transmission and plan to stay with a 4l60e. Street car son!

I'm very familiar with the car you guys have built. After all how can someone chase a record without knowing the possibilities? With that being said, what are y'all waiting for? Jet that dude up and push that record into the 8's.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeEnAgE pHeNoM
I said 350-400. More leaning towards 350. If the record was in grasp by a very minimum margin then the shot might see that, but I highly doubt it.

I realize that not having a roll cage is dangerous. However, even with a roll cage one still assumes a risk. It is 100% street car that still has a/c and a stereo with intentions of keeping it a street car. More then likely it will probably end up with a small 6-8 point chromoly cage, but I'm still uncertain. Hell I'm still on a 4l60e transmission and plan to stay with a 4l60e. Street car son!

I'm very familiar with the car you guys have built. After all how can someone chase a record without knowing the possibilities? With that being said, what are y'all waiting for? Jet that dude up and push that record into the 8's.
Everything we do in racing is dangerous thats for sure, I would be more worried about splitting the block while spraying it with 350 at half track and driving through your own oil and water...
And Nicks Camaro will go in the 8s this year, when we set the record in Indy we only had a handful of runs on the car..
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

I have to laugh a little everytime i see one of these "Max Effort" threads when 3 out of the 4 head choices listed are factory castings. Your first problem is you are trying to chase a record with a street car, but dont want to make it less streetable. You arent going to have what most people consider to be a street car if you want to beat this record. Stroker T/A just told you they will go 8's this year.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Everything we do in racing is dangerous thats for sure, I would be more worried about splitting the block while spraying it with 350 at half track and driving through your own oil and water...
And Nicks Camaro will go in the 8s this year, when we set the record in Indy we only had a handful of runs on the car..
I've personally never seen an ls block split even at 1000 hp but idk. I know camscam spayed 350 and so does carter however their setups weren't and aren't making the same amount of power of this potential combo(no pun intended). With that being said there are some locals spraying 300+ on stock motors and they don't tune themselves. The idea is to get about 200 lbs out the car and build a setup that could hopefully do it on 250-300. 350+ is only a possibility and wouldn't be done on a regular basis. I'm no pro ,but I'm not an amateur either.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've personally never seen an ls block split even at 1000 hp but idk. I know camscam spayed 350 and so does carter however their setups weren't and aren't making the same amount of power of this potential combo(no pun intended). With that being said there are some locals spraying 300+ on stock motors and they don't tune themselves. The idea is to get about 200 lbs out the car and build a setup that could hopefully do it on 250-300. 350+ is only a possibility and wouldn't be done on a regular basis. I'm no pro ,but I'm not an amateur either.
Cam's motor makes some pretty big HP, that car is 3500lbs and has been almost 120 to the 1/8th.. Also he goes pretty darn quick, and does it consistently..
I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing, but that guy has about a bajillion runs on his combo and knows what it takes to go fast.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nastychevelle
I have to laugh a little everytime i see one of these "Max Effort" threads when 3 out of the 4 head choices listed are factory castings. Your first problem is you are trying to chase a record with a street car, but dont want to make it less streetable. You arent going to have what most people consider to be a street car if you want to beat this record. Stroker T/A just told you they will go 8's this year.
Maybe I should have used better wording. I simply meant max effort(ie best path to get me close to my goal) for a sbe motor and for a street car setup. Before aftermarket castings what did people do in the lsx world? They used factory ported castings. Obviously there are better options now but you still can't get away from the basics. It's very similar to people running camshafts that are too large for their combo. Do you know how many cars I put back on the trailor that have aftermarket heads, lighter, and much more money in their combos? It's about combo(you know this) and being that I tune myself I feel as if that gives me a slight edge over a normal joe blow(not directed at you). Btw the record I'm chasing isn't the same record as stroker t/a. He is chasing the stock cube record where as I'm going for the stock bottom end record. I'm pretty sure I could get at least close to the record of 9.32 even at 3350 lbs.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Ive been following this thread pretty close. In my opinion like others have states id run a 225 head with atleast a vic jr and elbow. I know you dont wanna hack the car but yoi could buy a wiper cowl off a parts car and notch it. And i definietly think losing weight is in order. I cant see a sbe car going deep into the 9's at 3400+ again just my opinion. Youve got a lot of good suggestions on here from the guys that really know there stuff. Goodluck with the build dont hesitate to ask me or strokerta if you have any questions.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Cam's motor makes some pretty big HP, that car is 3500lbs and has been almost 120 to the 1/8th.. Also he goes pretty darn quick, and does it consistently..
I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing, but that guy has about a bajillion runs on his combo and knows what it takes to go fast.
I was referring to his old combo(sbe with ls6 heads and ms3)and he was at 3250 lbs. I realize cam has had way more time on the track and I realize this isn't easy. That's the fun of it. A challenge! Hell I never expected to go 9's first time out with the current setup considering I can't even run full 1/4 on the sauce and the 60' is lazy.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
Ive been following this thread pretty close. In my opinion like others have states id run a 225 head with atleast a vic jr and elbow. I know you dont wanna hack the car but yoi could buy a wiper cowl off a parts car and notch it. And i definietly think losing weight is in order. I cant see a sbe car going deep into the 9's at 3400+ again just my opinion. Youve got a lot of good suggestions on here from the guys that really know there stuff. Goodluck with the build dont hesitate to ask me or strokerta if you have any questions.
Thank-you man. I really appreciate it. I'm not trying to argue with anyone and am thankful for any advice given. You just have to understand that I like solving problems(graduated with a BS in Engineering technology). Of course naturally I tend to push the envelope and do something different than most have done it. Ie heavier weight,4l60e, etc.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I wish you all the best man, if you need anything like Nick said. Don't hesitate to ask. We will be down in Florida in March with a couple of the LS1 cars I build, if you feel like taking a trip come and hang out.. We will show ya a thing or two..

Hell, maybe you'll show us something..
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Gotcha. Yea i didnt think you were arguing with anyone. Just think theres some great suggestions in this thread. But if you can get it done with an ls6 more power to ya.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Launching!

You will not run 9.3 with a 4l60, non caged, full accessory street car, with a stock bottom end. Your car runs very strong for what it is and best of luck to you reaching your goals. How much are you spraying now?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Well I wish you all the best man, if you need anything like Nick said. Don't hesitate to ask. We will be down in Florida in March with a couple of the LS1 cars I build, if you feel like taking a trip come and hang out.. We will show ya a thing or two..

Hell, maybe you'll show us something..
Lol. I doubt that I could show y'all anything you didn't already know. I'm learning just like everyone else. Shoot me some info on the event and I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe I should have used better wording. I simply meant max effort(ie best path to get me close to my goal) for a sbe motor and for a street car setup. Before aftermarket castings what did people do in the lsx world? They used factory ported castings. Obviously there are better options now but you still can't get away from the basics. It's very similar to people running camshafts that are too large for their combo. Do you know how many cars I put back on the trailor that have aftermarket heads, lighter, and much more money in their combos? It's about combo(you know this) and being that I tune myself I feel as if that gives me a slight edge over a normal joe blow(not directed at you). Btw the record I'm chasing isn't the same record as stroker t/a. He is chasing the stock cube record where as I'm going for the stock bottom end record. I'm pretty sure I could get at least close to the record of 9.32 even at 3350 lbs.
The baddest gen III stock castings i have ever seen were some ls6's with a 2.125 intake valve. and went 9.10 NA. But then again that motor made 860hp. If you're already blowing through the converter on a 250, that is where i'd start. Spend some money on a nice converter (ProTorque would be my choice). Other than that, youre going to need an intake, no doubt. I have seen some modified FAST's that would be perfect for you if you can find the right person to do it (since you dont want to cut the cowl.) As far as heads go, i think a 215 with a nitrous Exhaust port would be plenty big since you dont want to spin so high.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynospeed
You will not run 9.3 with a 4l60, non caged, full accessory street car, with a stock bottom end. Your car runs very strong for what it is and best of luck to you reaching your goals. How much are you spraying now?
250 but it mphs the same on a 200. It's been 137 mph off the kit for 500 rpm and on the limiter for 50 ft with a conservative tune up.

Josh Elam or Darnell Settles. How are you going to come in here and tell another man what he's going to do? Lmao.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

The baddest gen III stock castings i have ever seen were some ls6's with a 2.125 intake valve. and went 9.10 NA. But then again that motor made 860hp. If you're already blowing through the converter on a 250, that is where i'd start. Spend some money on a nice converter (ProTorque would be my choice). Other than that, youre going to need an intake, no doubt. I have seen some modified FAST's that would be perfect for you if you can find the right person to do it (since you dont want to cut the cowl.) As far as heads go, i think a 215 with a nitrous Exhaust port would be plenty big since you dont want to spin so high.
Thanks. Yes. I can't even run full quarter now without being off the kit and on the limiter. Gear swap, converter restalled, and Front suspension is next on the list. I definitely have intentions of using the power I'm making at the moment. I'm a thorough guy and just want to plan out my combo in advance. The car makes 650-660rwhp on the sauce.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. Yes. I can't even run full quarter now without being off the kit and on the limiter. Gear swap, converter restalled, and Front suspension is next on the list. I definitely have intentions of using the power I'm making at the moment. I'm a thorough guy and just want to plan out my combo in advance. The car makes 650-660rwhp on the sauce.
What gear? Who's converter? What is your limiter set at? and whens the kit turning off?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

What gear? Who's converter? What is your limiter set at? and whens the kit turning off?
4:11 gear. Yank ss3600. 7400 rpm limiter. 6800-6900 rpm deactivation
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Ill have front qa1s and 275# springs for sale next week. Pm me if yer interested

Quick Reply: Best heads for a max effort stock bottom end nitrous car!