Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help in Plug Reading please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help in Plug Reading please!

Got out to the track last night and had a chance to pull my hot plug (#5) on a 78/36 set-up pulling 11 from 25 base timing and 48 llbs in dedicated. It ran a 10.462 @ 128.98 with a 1.610 - 60 ft. Next run I lowered the psi in my tires to 13 llbs and ran a 10.397 @ 128.18 with a 1.55 - 60 ft. My take on the plug is it is still too fat on fuel but timing seems to be right at the bend. I'm thinking pull one more degree and lean it out 1-2 psi on the dedicated. Appreciate some feedback from people more knowledgable than me on this.....

Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Everyone away racing this weekend?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Rich and too much timing.

If it were me, I'd pull about 4 degrees, clean up the fuel and add timing back in till the heat is just on the tip of the strap.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Rich and too much timing.

If it were me, I'd pull about 4 degrees, clean up the fuel and add timing back in till the heat is just on the tip of the strap.

Im no pro, but why pull timing out? That's going the wrong way. I agree on cleaning up the fuel. Baby steps clean up the fuel first and then work on the timing, watch mph. Just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krissoto
Im no pro, but why pull timing out? That's going the wrong way. I agree on cleaning up the fuel. Baby steps clean up the fuel first and then work on the timing, watch mph. Just my opinion.
I'm not a pro either lol but if you pull fuel away, that's gonna increase the heat in the chamber which will be shown by the heat mark moving further down the strap. In a situation like this where it is pig rich, pull timing with the fuel then when the fuel is cleaned up add it back in.

Fuel masks heat on the plugs. A lot of people who are running too rich don't know they are running too much timing.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

I understand your point as far as hear in the chamber, thx for the explanation. My thought on the fuel ring, is that it wasn't terribly rich, and strap on the plug looked good. Where's all the big dogs so we can see how far off we really are.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

This should give you an idea of what you're looking for. Having said that, don't chase the mark at the track. Tune off of MPH not the heat on the strap. <<That will get you in trouble if your not careful. Pull timing and clean that fuel up first then add a degree at a time till the MPH falls off, then back a degree out and let it ride.

If your tuning on the street then the plugs are all you have to go on so here is what I look for.

We pulled a degree of timing after seeing this plug. We could have let it ride but decided to pull a degree to keep it safe.

Fueling on the plug was lean but I upped the jet 1 or 2 (cant remember exactly) and it was perfect. You can barely see the fuel ring just before the porcelain flails out. The shaded grey area.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Pull 2 degrees for safety, and lean her out. As I have said before I'm not a fan of taking away fuel. It's counter productive, your HP is in the fuel. Nitrous is just letting you burn it. Get the spread right, then play with the timing. And use MPH to guage timing as well as plugs. I've seen cars drop MPH getting the "heat" mark right. Keep timing conservative, get fuel right, then set timing.

Mike
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacktransam
Pull 2 degrees for safety, and lean her out. As I have said before I'm not a fan of taking away fuel. It's counter productive, your HP is in the fuel. Nitrous is just letting you burn it. Get the spread right, then play with the timing. And use MPH to guage timing as well as plugs. I've seen cars drop MPH getting the "heat" mark right. Keep timing conservative, get fuel right, then set timing.

Mike
Just to clarify, because I'm always trying to learn more, you're saying that he will drop E.T. And MPH by leaning a rich nitrous tune out?

+1 on not chasing the heat mark. MPH tells you what the motor wants. I was using this plug as a reference only to show what my car liked to give him an idea on what my car liked and I feel like its a pretty decent reference of a good clean burn.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Just to clarify, because I'm always trying to learn more, you're saying that he will drop E.T. And MPH by leaning a rich nitrous tune out?

+1 on not chasing the heat mark. MPH tells you what the motor wants. I was using this plug as a reference only to show what my car liked to give him an idea on what my car liked and I feel like its a pretty decent reference of a good clean burn.
Not necessarily drop, but not get the gains he could would be a better way to put it. You burn fuel to make hp. All of your power in in the fuel. So If you take Fuel away to lean your combo out your taking away available hp.

Make more sense?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think he is saying instead of taking fuel away you can add nitrous to lean it out.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Think he is saying instead of taking fuel away you can add nitrous to lean it out.

I was going to say the same thing.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhhhn trackin. Got it now.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr

Si. LOL
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I am starting to get this! Unfortunately I can only pull a maximum of 12 degrees on my Timing Tuner so almost maxed out. I'll pull one more to take it to total 12 pulled from 25 and see where that takes the timing mark. If it is right at the tip I'll pull 1 psi out of the dedicated and see how much that cleans up the fuel. I have a new 2 step that can pull 15 degrees that I will be installing shortly that should give me some more flexibility to pull timing. I also realize you can add nitrous to lean it out it's just easy to reduce pressure on the dedicated. Once I get the 200 shot where it needs to be I'll be working on the 250 shot.....looking for high 9s but I know it's harder than most of us think!

Last edited by CanadianEh!; 05-07-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet! Post up pics of the plugs when you try again. Not only for us to help you but for the guys in your same situation who are lookin for help.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks....will do!

Quick Reply: Help in Plug Reading please!