Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New setup for me

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New setup for me

Same 383 cubic inches, fresh rebiuld on the bottom end, solid roller this time, three stages. I am thinking the first stage will be about 175 dry at 3000 rpm. Followed by a 100 TNT wet at 4600 rpm and again followed by another TNT 100 wet at 6300 or so. Spin to about 7500 total. I have all the parts in hand for the nitrous system. Again...the goal is around 700-750 ft/lbs at the peaks (where each stage hits) but this time the rpm range will be extended to 7500 or so. I think mid 800s in HP is attainable. I also want 600+ rwtq from 3200-7200 rpm...again with peaks being no more than 700-750 rwtq as each stage hits. That will help when racing those pesky Supras at highways speeds from a roll. Maintaing an AVG of 650 rwtq from 3200-7500 works great when lining up with the Supras from a roll. Nice Loooooong pull from 3200 from the start. I usually get out several cars before they spool up with the big singles

The new nitrogen push will remain. It was working awesome when I pulled the motor.

New Heads wll be TEA 6.0 heads to replace my 3 year old ARE heads. The TEA heads will be a MAX effort. As a matter of fact I will be traveling to TEA at the end of this month to help Brandon out with the head work.. After the heads are done and flowed I will probably get with Alan Futral for the cam.

The solid roller setup with its extended rpm makes sense when sticking with the T56. It will extend the mph in each gear through the 1/4 but still give me the hit out of the hole with the 4.11s and 28 inch tires. At 7500 rpm with the 4.11 rear and 28 inch tires it will max out at ~ 150 mph in fourth gear. The only concern is shifting at such high rpm. But I was shifting at 7000 before with no problems so hopefully it will be ok.

I never did get to hit the last setup with more than ~600 rwhp and it ran a 10.0 at 138. Im hoping for more this time.

BTW...I pulled the motor because crank endplay was excessive...about .060. I wanted to refresh the bottom end before I chunked it and had to replace everything. Motor made it 1 and a half years without a burnt plug or blown head gasket. I cant complain. Hell it stall ran great when i pulled it.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 05-01-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:30 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got an idea, why not spray the crap out of it in one shot right out of the hole? You have the parts to do it. It sounds cool and all but just seems to be way too complicated to get the job done.

Last edited by DERTY; 05-01-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Because its not just a track car. MOst of the competition here is big single turbo supras from a roll. Thats another reason for the six speed as well. If I went to an auto...which I probably will do at some point...Ill just do a small dry and then direct port.

Its really not that complicated. Its still 5 noids either way.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:38 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Then why not a more aggressive progressively controlled setup? Just trying to figure out why you are trying to do the job with three kits?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DERTY
I've got an idea, why not spray the crap out of it in one shot right out of the hole? You have the parts to do it. It sounds cool and all but just seems to be way to complicated to get the job done.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Because progressive really needs to go from a dead stop. With it setup this way you can grab any gear at any time and nail it without worry of waiting for the progressive kit to ramp or worry of hitting too much in a low rpm. If your in third at 4500...just grab the gear and go. If you in second at 3400 rpm...just grab and go. No fear of accidentally spraying a 300+ at too low of rpms as you might with a progressive in say third gear start. Or the opposite would be if you had it ramping a lil slow over time and didnt get the hit you needed when you need it. With a 6 speed i really like the idea of rpm controlled systems. In other words...its progressive power with rpm built to keep peak cylinder pressure in check. A failsafe to make good power with a six speed under all circumstances with no tweaking.

At the track its basically like a two stage since I will never be below the rpm for the first and second stage to kick out. But on the street...this setup up very effective.

Like I said...alot or big races here happen on a looong bridge and roll racing is very popular. This actaull makes that type of race easier and more consistant.
There is a certain Supra in Miami making BIG power that will run for big $$$. This wouod be designed to race that type of race. But its still effective at the track. Kind of a well rounded setup. Not single purpose.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 05-01-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DERTY
I've got an idea, why not spray the crap out of it in one shot right out of the hole?
Now your talking!! I was never a big fan a multiple stages of nitrous. Spray it big right outta the whole! I feel that's one of the main reasons my car is as fast as it is. This season I will continue upping the shot right outta the whole. 350-400-450 and so on and so on... 8's or break is my motto this year!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a winner to me.. That just means I will be more behind when you hit the street..
Old 05-01-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Now your talking!! I was never a big fan a multiple stages of nitrous. Spray it big right outta the whole! I feel that's one of the main reasons my car is as fast as it is. This season I will continue upping the shot right outta the whole. 350-400-450 and so on and so on... 8's or break is my motto this year!

Like I said...if you have a track only car with an auto. A single stage progressive obviously works well and is simple and effective. But for a street/strip six speed. I like the multi stages myself.

And if it doesnt work out as planned...hell all i need is a few more nozzles to complete the direct port...lol.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Big Mike
How do you get a 300 to 400 shot to hook on the street out of the hole? I have seen many try on SLICKS and they just spin. There is no time to lay out VHT and do multiple burnouts where we street race. TRACTION is a problem. Therefore multiple stages are needed to gain traction.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by VINCE
How do you get a 300 to 400 shot to hook on the street out of the hole? I have seen many try on SLICKS and they just spin. There is no time to lay out VHT and do multiple burnouts where we street race. TRACTION is a problem. Therefore multiple stages are needed to gain traction.

True, I guess you don't hook with that much nitrous on the street. Than it's obvious that for high HP nitrous cars, racing on the street requires multiple stages.

I don't have to worry about that, I don't race mine on the street.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

sounds very nice

can't wait to hear/see results of it.

Beat those supras at their own game

Ryan
Old 05-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by slow
sounds very nice

can't wait to hear/see results of it.

Beat those supras at their own game

Ryan
We are planning on coming to Orlando Supra World.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds awesome. gotta love purpose built street racing cars!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

sounds sweet good luck with the new set up
Old 05-03-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not try the dry shot and follow it with a 200 direct port at 5,300. The direct port would seem safer to me, better cylinder distrubution. I understand the need for three stages but, a direct port just seems perfect.
By the way, FACKING SWEET CAR!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by StupidFast
Why not try the dry shot and follow it with a 200 direct port at 5,300. The direct port would seem safer to me, better cylinder distrubution. I understand the need for three stages but, a direct port just seems perfect.
By the way, FACKING SWEET CAR!!!

Well...that was the other option actually...and still may be in the future. However...i do trust the TNT setup to spray that added 150-200. Especially at the higher rpms where it will kick on.

So far I have sprayed 300 shot dry and have had excellent distibution. Equal burn on all plugs. Of course its the heavier fuel in a wet shot that has a hard time with distibution...so as I begin testing....ill be sure to check that everything is working properly and that distibution is not a problem.

Even once this setup is on and working...its gonna take some time to work up to that power level at the track. As I said...Ive only run with 600 hp so far...and that was a fawkin handful
Once its all setup I want to get back into the grove of things at around 650-700 hp and go from there. Any signs of difficulty and ill ditch this for direct port.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 AM
TECH Junkie

do it and let me know how it works; I may follow suit
Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Because its not just a track car. MOst of the competition here is big single turbo supras from a roll. Thats another reason for the six speed as well. If I went to an auto...which I probably will do at some point...Ill just do a small dry and then direct port.

Its really not that complicated. Its still 5 noids either way.
you must have some really wicked supras over where you live if you need that much HP to take them out. we dont have anything over here like that.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

There are some serious Supras floating around between Miami, Orlando and Tampa. There are 2 700+rwhp Supras here in Tampa, a few being built as well. There is a Miami Supra that frequents the Tampa area that is associated with the Scranton's race team. Its well over 1000hp.

I have a few tricks up the old sleeve for racing these guys at thier own game. They generally will only run from a roll. So far I have not lost. This new setup should only make it better. Looking forward to getting it done and getting back at it. As well as going back to the track.