Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coated Headers with Nitrous????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coated Headers with Nitrous????

Whats up, I was told that the Jet Hot Longtubes would eventually peel and rust??? I didn't think our exhaust temps got hot enough, but what about with nitrous?? Or will it be ok?? Thanks, David.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

I t looks like alot of people are having problems with Jet-Hot (and other) coatings rusting through and peeling.This is happening on Turbo,blower,nitrous and N/A cars. That's the nature of the beast. Coating or not things want to return to their original state.

You should experience elevated exhaust gas temps (relative to an N/A application) while using nitrous. This could could aggravate the peeling/rusting situation with coated headers.

If you want to avoid this go w/stainless. If you want lower underhood temps go with stainless and get them coated. I have had the stainless head pipes on my motorcycle coated for over a year now with no flaking,peeling,or rust. You might also consider Swaintech. I have heard alot of good things about them.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
I t looks like alot of people are having problems with Jet-Hot (and other) coatings rusting through and peeling.This is happening on Turbo,blower,nitrous and N/A cars. That's the nature of the beast. Coating or not things want to return to their original state.

You should experience elevated exhaust gas temps (relative to an N/A application) while using nitrous. This could could aggravate the peeling/rusting situation with coated headers.

If you want to avoid this go w/stainless. If you want lower underhood temps go with stainless and get them coated. I have had the stainless head pipes on my motorcycle coated for over a year now with no flaking,peeling,or rust. You might also consider Swaintech. I have heard alot of good things about them.
Then howcome everyone says get your longtubes coated??? I mean, the jet hot coating has a exhaust temp of like 1400degrees. And im sure a N/A car (Lt1/Ls1) wont make that, and even if it does reach higher than that with nitrous, its only on for a couple of seconds, so im sure it wont kill it since its only intermediate use, but i could be wrong, any other opinions??? THanks
Old 05-04-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

The coating works when it is on there. My temps dropped when I had my head pipes done.

In almost all cases I am sure the coating itself holds up fairly well. The adhesion to the part seems to be the larger problem. In the cases I have seen there is rust creep underneath the metallic ceramic coating. You're assuming perfect conditions. I am willing to bet none of the coating companies will guarantee 100% coverage on all parts coated. If there is any part of the piece not coated or there is a deep enough scratch,etc. corrosion will begin. Heat exacerbates this this problem.The rusted surface is not going to hold fast to the coating like it did when corrosion free.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
The coating works when it is on there. My temps dropped when I had my head pipes done.

In almost all cases I am sure the coating itself holds up fairly well. The adhesion to the part seems to be the larger problem. In the cases I have seen there is rust creep underneath the metallic ceramic coating. You're assuming perfect conditions. I am willing to bet none of the coating companies will guarantee 100% coverage on all parts coated. If there is any part of the piece not coated or there is a deep enough scratch,etc. corrosion will begin. Heat exacerbates this this problem.The rusted surface is not going to hold fast to the coating like it did when corrosion free.
Oh ok, thanks man
Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stainless headers with Swaintech coating and you CANT go wrong. Their coating isnt pretty but it is one of the most effective on the market.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris99WS6PWTMET
Stainless headers with Swaintech coating and you CANT go wrong. Their coating isnt pretty but it is one of the most effective on the market.
I have heard that alot of the NASCAR teams use Swaintech on their headers. If a header is going to take some serious abuse it'd be in a NASCAR race.

It is ugly though.