Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Msd timing retard box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd timing retard box?

I'm looking for a device where I can hit a switch and it automatically pulls timing when my nitrous is armed so I can still race my car on motor without the timing pulled if that makes sense. Is there anything out there from msd that could allow me to do that not looking to spend 700 on a lpe progressive controller.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The MSD Timing Twister, but they don't make it anymore. I use the LNC-2000. Pretty much the same thing as the MSD box, only a little better
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
The MSD Timing Twister, but they don't make it anymore. I use the LNC-2000. Pretty much the same thing as the MSD box, only a little better
This. This is also what everyone else on here uses.

-Garrett
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftslow
I'm looking for a device where I can hit a switch and it automatically pulls timing when my nitrous is armed so I can still race my car on motor without the timing pulled if that makes sense. Is there anything out there from msd that could allow me to do that not looking to spend 700 on a lpe progressive controller.
The LNC isnt $700. Its $274.95 right here:http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/electro...ontroller.html
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Ok cool!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not use the factory PCM and have someone with EFI LIVE tune it. Its a feature in Custom OS 5 to pull timing when you ground pin 56. I'm doing my system this way and also running it dry as the OS also has the capability to add extra fuel when you pull the nitrous trigger.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
Why not use the factory PCM and have someone with EFI LIVE tune it. Its a feature in Custom OS 5 to pull timing when you ground pin 56. I'm doing my system this way and also running it dry as the OS also has the capability to add extra fuel when you pull the nitrous trigger.
So if he does that and wants to change the timing pulled to spray more what does he have to do?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Change the value in the tune
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Change the value in the tune
Which requires him to have HPT and to know what he is doing. If he doesn't know what he is doing then that means he will have to go back to the tuner everytime he wants the timing changed. That is just too much to be doing to keep going back and forth with the laptop and such.

Put the LNC 2000 in your glove box and keep a pocket screwdriver. Done.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Which requires him to have HPT and to know what he is doing. If he doesn't know what he is doing then that means he will have to go back to the tuner everytime he wants the timing changed. That is just too much to be doing to keep going back and forth with the laptop and such.

HPT can't do it without using something like the IAT harness and skewing the sensor. Only EFI LIVE has a Nitrous supported Operating System.

If the owner didn't want to go all out and pay for the software, they could always just purchase a Autocal from a tuner.

That way the tuner can email them any number of tunes with different amounts of timing retard or any other aspect for that matter for them to store in the Autocal and flash in at will.

Cost wise an Autocal is competitive with a timing box too, but has a lot more features.

http://www.efilive.com/product-info-autocal

Last edited by macca_779; 01-08-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The LNC-2000 is exactly what the OP needs.

Last edited by brandon@nitrousoutlet; 01-10-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Got one on the way!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

HPT can't do it without using something like the IAT harness and skewing the sensor. Only EFI LIVE has a Nitrous supported Operating System.

If the owner didn't want to go all out and pay for the software, they could always just purchase a Autocal from a tuner.

That way the tuner can email them any number of tunes with different amounts of timing retard or any other aspect for that matter for them to store in the Autocal and flash in at will.

Cost wise an Autocal is competitive with a timing box too, but has a lot more features.

http://www.efilive.com/product-info-autocal
You better re-read that link you posted. The tuner has to buy those auto cal things and its 1500 bucks for a pack of five. Then he has to load the tunes into it. So if you just divide 1500 by 5, its just 300 bucks alone for one of the autocal things from the tuner and we all know he is not going to give you those tunes for free. So, you're looking at 4-500 bucks or more and the LNC is $274.95, to me that's not "competitive" at all. 10 bucks is competitive. $25 or more to do less than what the LNC can do is not a smart idea.

It does more on the abilities end of functions but I don't like the idea that I have to upload a certain tune to spray a certain shot.

The autocal is better suited for someone who doesn't have a good tuner locally. Since it has the data log feature and such.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You better re-read that link you posted. The tuner has to buy those auto cal things and its 1500 bucks for a pack of five. Then he has to load the tunes into it. So if you just divide 1500 by 5, its just 300 bucks alone for one of the autocal things from the tuner and we all know he is not going to give you those tunes for free. So, you're looking at 4-500 bucks or more and the LNC is $274.95, to me that's not "competitive" at all. 10 bucks is competitive. $25 or more to do less than what the LNC can do is not a smart idea.

It does more on the abilities end of functions but I don't like the idea that I have to upload a certain tune to spray a certain shot.

The autocal is better suited for someone who doesn't have a good tuner locally. Since it has the data log feature and such.
This is true. But its the kind of product people could purchase at the beginning of their modification journey. Or if they haven't had a tune yet.

I would hope tuners would have stock on board and not have to purchase just for one guy.

As for charging extra to provide an N20 calibration. I personally wouldn't charge anything extra to someone that already had a tune done by me. Its literally 2 tables and send an email.

Installing for an N20 calibration is literally adding 1 wire to the PCM. So you have to put a price on convenience too and reliability too. I'm sure the LNC is good. But, more wiring and an aftermarket module will never be as reliable as an OEM PCM.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

This is true. But its the kind of product people could purchase at the beginning of their modification journey. Or if they haven't had a tune yet.

I would hope tuners would have stock on board and not have to purchase just for one guy.

As for charging extra to provide an N20 calibration. I personally wouldn't charge anything extra to someone that already had a tune done by me. Its literally 2 tables and send an email.

Installing for an N20 calibration is literally adding 1 wire to the PCM. So you have to put a price on convenience too and reliability too. I'm sure the LNC is good. But, more wiring and an aftermarket module will never be as reliable as an OEM PCM.
That's on you if you don't charge, I can safely say that any tuner here will charge since time is money.

I don't frequent the pcm, diagnostic, tuning section much but I have never seen anyone mention them until you have in this thread so I had to do a little research on them.

Keyword: "PCM". The PCM is reliable but can you vouch for a person's wiring habits and the such with them running that 1 wire? Its just a nit pick thing. People are known to botch things up like using wire nuts for house electrical on cars. We've all seen it so, there are pros and cons of both.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's on you if you don't charge, I can safely say that any tuner here will charge since time is money.

I don't frequent the pcm, diagnostic, tuning section much but I have never seen anyone mention them until you have in this thread so I had to do a little research on them.

Keyword: "PCM". The PCM is reliable but can you vouch for a person's wiring habits and the such with them running that 1 wire? Its just a nit pick thing. People are known to botch things up like using wire nuts for house electrical on cars. We've all seen it so, there are pros and cons of both.
No different to wiring up an LNC though.

The reason you haven't heard of an Autocal is because EFI LIVE isn't used widely in the US for some reason. Also its not a sponsored product on here. I've used both EFI LIVE and HPT. EFI LIVE is the better product in my option, especially with the nitrous features available on the LS1. Makes using a dry system very economical, reliable and simple.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No different to wiring up an LNC though.

The reason you haven't heard of an Autocal is because EFI LIVE isn't used widely in the US for some reason. Also its not a sponsored product on here. I've used both EFI LIVE and HPT. EFI LIVE is the better product in my option, especially with the nitrous features available on the LS1. Makes using a dry system very economical, reliable and simple.

I've tuned with both....
I feel the same about each one when it comes to how well they do at tuning....both do the job well...
when it comes to the actual tuning... neither one is better than the other
they both have access to the same tables...

I like the interface better on HPTuners...and the scanner is better and easier to use....
but I have no issues with tuning on EFI Live, and I like the custom OS's better on EFI live.
(though I do really like looks of the Gauges interface in EFI live's scanner)

theres plenty of knowledge about EFI live in the US... but HP tuners has a much better interface for most Americans(we tend to be a more visual people...we like bells and whistles and "pretty" things), and comes out better priced and has a better licensing system(as in more options to keep end user costs lower)
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your right the interface provided by both solutions gets the job done. But that's no concern to the owner. It's the features of the os that shine through to the vehicles owner. You even said it yourself. EFI live has the features. It's for this reason if nothing else as to why it's the better solution especially for nitrous applications where a lot of control can be handled by the PCM without having the requirement for further controllers. The LNC is a fantastic product and it has it's place in the nitrous world. But it's standout feature is timing retard when spraying. Something which can be accomplished in the os quite easily. Sure if you want to tinker with shot size yourself and can't justify buying the software or using a tuner then go for the LNC without a doubt
Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a place that still stocks the timing twister and not the lnc 2000. I like that the msd box allows you to pull a little more timing than lpe box if I read the descriptions right. Thoughts??
Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Max timing retard

On late model engines with fairly fast combustion (where maximum power timing is usually in the 24 to 28 degrees of timing range) I am not aware of many applications that need more than 15 degrees of timing retard for nitrous. Much below that and combustion becomes pretty poor.

If you really need more timing retard than that we make a torque reduction box (LNC-TRM) for use with transmission controllers and traction control devices that has up to 50 degrees of timing retard authority:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...=#.U5IAR_ldUh8

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
I found a place that still stocks the timing twister and not the lnc 2000. I like that the msd box allows you to pull a little more timing than lpe box if I read the descriptions right. Thoughts??

Quick Reply: Msd timing retard box?