Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast is a stock ls1 w/ bolt on nitrous kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon@nitrousoutlet
Well, the auto vs. manual thing is kind of difficult to say. On one hand the 6 speeds are more reliable transmissions but at the same time they are harder on the rear end. The 4l60 will let your rear end live longer but they are notorious for going out.
I thought in the cars the 60s did alright in stock form. Especially if he is just smacking it with 150 for a while.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by custm2500
Here is how the story goes. You buy the F-body put a 150 shot on it. Get the largest bonner you have ever had and sell the scion.

Get a converter(if auto ofcorse), some DRs, and stab a cam and custom tune. Depending what that **** box sells for you might have money to do some more mods.

You might keep your car if you love it and don't forget about it when you feel the power and happiness of a V-8, but I doubt you will stop at a shot of nitrous.
Good advice, but if I sold my POS Scion I'd get a miata/corvette for the track

Although if I like the camaro enough I'm sure I'll be dumping more than the 10k into it that's just a "start" budget to see if I want to keep the car or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

The current SS that I have now went 11.7 back in the day with 100 shot and full exhaust. It was a six speed back then.

It doesn't really matter for this topic but even the TBSS that I daily made 424rwhp and has been 12.6 with a catback, LS1 fans and 100 shot.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
The current SS that I have now went 11.7 back in the day with 100 shot and full exhaust. It was a six speed back then.

It doesn't really matter for this topic but even the TBSS that I daily made 424rwhp and has been 12.6 with a catback, LS1 fans and 100 shot.
Thanks.

I'm looking for a bit faster. I've driven a 12 second car and it wasn't quite enough for me. I'd bet 1 second faster would be a *lot* faster but knowing me I'd want more out of a pure muscle car.

Does anybody know how a c6 corvette stock rear end/trans will hold up? I thought they were pretty equivalent rear ends & trans?
Or what about chevelle 454? They can be had for 20-30 grand for a clone.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Get a Zo6 C5 car and sell that Scion and you will have the best of both worlds....The Corvettes driveline is alot stronger than an F-Bodys as far as the Rear End goes.

Get the ECS Trans Brace and a good Rear End mount and Hinson motor mounts and its solid.

My car goes High 10s / Low 11s and gets 30mpg w full weight (3200lbs) Ac blows cold!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls7
Get a Zo6 C5 car and sell that Scion and you will have the best of both worlds....The Corvettes driveline is alot stronger than an F-Bodys as far as the Rear End goes.

Get the ECS Trans Brace and a good Rear End mount and Hinson motor mounts and its solid.

My car goes High 10s / Low 11s and gets 30mpg w full weight (3200lbs) Ac blows cold!!!
I really don't want to sell my frs. I love it and I don't think anything will replace it.

I've yet to drive a v8 car that made me feel quite like the FRS does in the twisties. Although, I'm planning on driving a c7 in vegas in a few months so that should be interesting . Screw gambling I never win anything anyway.

Lets try to keep on topic please. I'll be taking a look at c6 & c5 z06 in my search those seem to have the most "bang for the buck" in terms of HP on a vette. The c6 z06 seems godly and I'd love to drive one, just can't seem to find much in a reasonable price over here. I've been waiting for a while though and it seems prices are dropping (albeit slowly) since the c7 hit.

How strong is the vette drivetrain? In particular, c6 z06? Would it be safe to say as strong as a c6 zr1? If so that might be the car I'm looking for.

EDIT: I just found a C6 z06 pretty much down the street. Will post results of test drive . Haven't driven one yet so I'm curious.

Last edited by Sonolin; 03-20-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonolin
I really don't want to sell my frs. I love it and I don't think anything will replace it.

I've yet to drive a v8 car that made me feel quite like the FRS does in the twisties. Although, I'm planning on driving a c7 in vegas in a few months so that should be interesting . Screw gambling I never win anything anyway.

Lets try to keep on topic please. I'll be taking a look at c6 & c5 z06 in my search those seem to have the most "bang for the buck" in terms of HP on a vette. The c6 z06 seems godly and I'd love to drive one, just can't seem to find much in a reasonable price over here. I've been waiting for a while though and it seems prices are dropping (albeit slowly) since the c7 hit.

How strong is the vette drivetrain? In particular, c6 z06? Would it be safe to say as strong as a c6 zr1? If so that might be the car I'm looking for.

EDIT: I just found a C6 z06 pretty much down the street. Will post results of test drive . Haven't driven one yet so I'm curious.
That C6Z is going to be a totally different animal than driving a 12 second f body! Get it!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will add my expirience. started with stock car, added lid and catback from slp.ran a 13,6 at 106.put on nitto 555r. added a dry hit and started with 100 shot. ran a 12.4 at 112 mph. tried 150 shot, and it def stepped up the kick, and went to track dam nitrous guy ran out of nitrous, so i had less than 2 pounds in, ran a low pressure hit at 850psi max that dropped off right away and ran 12.5 at 114. mindthat i am not a drag racer, cant launch my aotu very well, and only got one good run on 100 before season closed, and i think its a good start. first nitrous ever. when i hit 150 on a full bottle, im realisticly hoping for 12.0x maybe 11.9x. if i can learn to launch. i like the nittos, hook great on street even with spray, good at track too. hope this helps answer
Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sonolin

Drive a C6 Z and than go drive a C5 Z....I've seen alot of guys that went from C5's to C6s go BACK toa C5 Z because it feel much more raw and like a true super car in the corners than the C6

If ya get a 03-04 Zo6 the Driveline is way better and tougher than the earlier years.

The C6 just has a bit better Parts in the rear diff than the C5 Z but its not much and if your just gonna drive it you wont ever have an issue unless ya drag race it
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls7
Drive a C6 Z and than go drive a C5 Z....I've seen alot of guys that went from C5's to C6s go BACK toa C5 Z because it feel much more raw and like a true super car in the corners than the C6

If ya get a 03-04 Zo6 the Driveline is way better and tougher than the earlier years.

The C6 just has a bit better Parts in the rear diff than the C5 Z but its not much and if your just gonna drive it you wont ever have an issue unless ya drag race it
Thanks that's an interesting way to think of it.

Unfortunately, the beautiful vette I was looking at appears to be sold or taken down (private seller). Called a few dealers today but no vette that matches my criteria within 200 miles.

I spoke too soon, looks like I found a very nice yellow c5 z06 well within my price range. Driving down there now, very curious how it drives.

Last edited by Sonolin; 03-22-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: How fast is a stock ls1 w/ bolt on nitrous kit